PDA

View Full Version : Mk6 gtd timing belt

Davekgtd
30-04-2016, 12:03 AM
Hello just had my timing belt and water pump replaced now its making a whining noise between 1500-2300-2500 up and back down the revs could this be that its just a new belt or should i take it straight back anybody had one replaced on this model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zollaf
30-04-2016, 10:50 AM
sounds like it might be too tight, or something else is wrong. you need to take it straight back. who did it , main dealer ?

Davekgtd
30-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Ye its been back today they have checked everything and said its all fine just new belt bedding in reassured me its all covered if something went wrong

zollaf
30-04-2016, 11:10 AM
new belts do not need to bed in and should not whine. it is either too tight or the new water pump is goosed. simple as that. 25 years in the trade and i know things like this..

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:31 AM
new belts do not need to bed in and should not whine. it is either too tight or the new water pump is goosed. simple as that. 25 years in the trade and i know things like this..

Its going back in first thing in morning mate i have told them im not happy with it and i want them to replace all the parts they have fitted is there anything in that area they could have taken off to do the job what once refitted could be causing this noise

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:33 AM

When the bonnets popped up mate and i get someone to stick some revs on the noise seems to be comming from the rear part of the timming belt housing am i right in thinking this is where the water pump sits

zollaf
02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
it could be something on the aux belt, but unlikely . chances are they have managed to over tension it or the new pump or a new roller/tensioner is dodgy. it does happen every now and again, but the usual cause of a whine is a belt thats too tight.

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Ok they did say they had checked the belt and it wasn't to tight even though when they first listened to it. Thats what they had said it was the belt was to tight and tried to convince me it was fine to drive with the belt over tight

zollaf
02-05-2016, 11:37 AM
its fine to drive yes, until the extra tightness wears out the water pump bearings, the tensioner bearing or the guides bearings, then the belt snaps or wears itself away.

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
I way be paranoid but i have a sneaky feeling they haven't replaced the pump and they have just stuck a new belt on and the new belt being nice and tight is causing the old pump pully to whine could this happen ?

zollaf
02-05-2016, 11:49 AM
yes, that could happen, especially if the old belt was a bit stretched and not tight.

Davekgtd
02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Ok mate well thanks for the info ill let you no the out come tmz afternoon

Davekgtd
03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
yes, that could happen, especially if the old belt was a bit stretched and not tight.

All sorted they replaced belt and tensioner and water pump again noise has gone now mate cheers the help