PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 Phone box with wireless charging

Diver Bryn
28-04-2016, 05:16 PM
My wife's compatible Samsung S6 phone, get excessively hot when using the Audi Phone box with wireless charging.
So hot in fact that, the phone over heats and shuts down not to mention that it feels like a hot potato when holding the phone...
Mentioned this to my dealer who states the phone can get as hot as 50 degree's and this is normal!!!!
The last thing I want is a lithium battery igniting in my new car??

When charging the phone at home via the plug in mains then phone does not get hot so it is not a phone issue...

Any one else experienced this?

Best REgard's

Bryn

Skippy73
28-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Well I am looking forward to the wireless QI charging in the Q7 when it arrives. I have all QI wireless charging pads around the house and by the bed and never notice the phone getting hot at all. I have the S7 edge though so not sure if it's improved maybe. It's the same QI technology used in the audi as the charging pad I have so I'm am not expecting to see any difference in performance. However it's possible that at home the environment around the pad while charging is open where in the small console box in the car it's closed, leaving not a lot of circulation. That maybe causing the heat issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chrisjerman
28-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Can't say as I have noticed my S6 getting hot , maybe a little warm but probably no more than when using the mini usb to charge in the house .

andyhud007
29-04-2016, 08:30 AM
I have an S6 Edge+ and it gets hot too in the phone box. Make sure "fast charging" is turned off in the settings on the phone. This causes the phone to get hot(ter) than normal slower charging.

My phone hasnt ever shut down though.

Thakey17
29-04-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty useless with technology so only just found out that my Iphone 6s doesn't have QI charging and won't work. Saying that I've spec'd Apple Car play which only works when the phone is plugged in via USB which should charge it anyway. Probably not worth me having the "Phone Box" now.....

andyhud007
29-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty useless with technology so only just found out that my Iphone 6s doesn't have QI charging and won't work. Saying that I've spec'd Apple Car play which only works when the phone is plugged in via USB which should charge it anyway. Probably not worth me having the "Phone Box" now.....

Tis' true. Apple Car Play and Android Auto both require USB connection to work. And yes, the USB will charge when you do that

At least you have a nice pad to put your phone on :)

Diver Bryn
29-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks Andy, will try that.

srbsq7
29-04-2016, 09:27 PM
I think it also amplifies the signal so not totally useless!

NickTyler
03-05-2016, 10:02 AM
I have an Samsung S6 and it gets silly hot when charging wireless in the car. Like Andy it has not shut down yet but you wouldn't want to put it straight in your front pocket.

Daniel69
25-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I have exactly the same issue than you, in my audi phone box (q7), my galaxy s7 is very hot after 20 min charging, the hight temperature is not good for life battery so what was your solution?

Do you have any support from audi to fix it please?

Regards