PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball)

Diver Bryn
28-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Does any one else have the Audi 2016 model Q7 factory fitted electrically folding + trailer assist Tow bar - with air suspension pack and tows a caravan, fitted with the AL-KO AKS 3004 Stabiliser Coupling??

Damage is caused to the 360 rotating plastic ring on the Q7 tow ball, caused by the Caravan's AL-KO x brake pads that squeeze the tow ball when caravan becomes unstable,the tow ball ring, links electronically to the MMI screen for reversing and also stability control. Todate no one in the Caravan profession has seen this new Audi system, but have all stated that the AL-KO with damage the Audi Ring on the toe ball...

Having only towed twice for around 500 + miles (I used to be a Jeremy Clarkson mindset when it comes to Caravans :-) ) since owning my car purchased new on the 01/12/2015, the tow assist pack is now rendered useless, as the plastic ring has been nipped / squeezed by the AL-KO AKS 3004 Stabiliser Coupling fitted to my caravan. Stopping it from freely rotating / spinning through its horizontal plane of 360 degree's...

I have just submitted a report to Audi Technical via my dealer and look forward to seeing what they have to say..If your towing a standard trailer with out AL-KO hitch system it should work fine, but who pays £72K to tow an ordinary trailer when the Q7 is a great caravan tow car??

REgards

Bryn

sm02fly
28-04-2016, 05:58 PM
This is very interesting... I have the Trailer pack ordered (still waiting on delivery) but not the Air Suspension.

I usually tow glider trailers, my own trailer has a standard hitch but others I might occasionally tow have ALKO stabilisers fitted... So I'll be very interested in what Audi have to say on this.

andyhud007
28-04-2016, 09:01 PM
I do

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

andyhud007
28-04-2016, 09:02 PM
But I don't tow anything. Car just had it.

Nemo78
28-04-2016, 09:26 PM
I do

But I don't tow anything. Car just had it.

[emoji23]

Sorry I know it's a serious thread and I hope Audi come back with some positive news on this as it seems pretty fundamental. But Andy's posts made me laugh.

Gavin0478
28-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Will the winterhoff hitch cause similar problems as that grips too via brake pads. I know on my last gen Q7 i have towed my superstorm a fair bit and you can see where the pads are wearing the towball!

andyhud007
29-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Apologies Bryn, I was replying on the move hence my quick responses.

I have the Trailer Pack and Air Suspension but have never used it unfortunately and doubt I ever will. It just happened to be on the car I purchased (as it was sitting on the forecourt). I just leave it tucked away.

Good luck with your findings and I hope you hear from Audi soon on it.

Andy

Diver Bryn
29-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Not familiar with the Winterhoff hitch, but it sounds very much like the AL-KO system?? Could Audi have got their design wrong, or is it only to be used to tow bulk standard trailers if so, they need to get there sales pitch correct in the Q7 accesories brochure..

sm02fly
12-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Diver Bryn- have you had any updates on this from Audi?

A7_UFO
12-05-2016, 04:09 PM
can I just say, I hum the James Bond tune every time I watch the towbar fold out. It's so cool.

easyeieio
31-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I have just submitted a report to Audi Technical via my dealer and look forward to seeing what they have to say..If your towing a standard trailer with out AL-KO hitch system it should work fine, but who pays £72K to tow an ordinary trailer when the Q7 is a great caravan tow car??

REgards

Bryn

Any news from Audi on this?

sm02fly
18-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I called Audi CS and asked which type of trailer hitches were compatible with the trailer assist tow bar. After the rep spoke to Audi technical I was fobbed off with 'it is down to the hitch manufacturers to confirm if it is compatible, as we don't make the hitch'.

That is like them telling me I should ask the Highways Agency to confirm the road is compatible for the Q7 to drive on. After all they just make the car...

easyeieio
18-06-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm about to order a q7 with the trailer pack , and will be towing a caravan with an alko hitch . These are pretty much standard on caravans so this is a massive issue for Audi if their system doesn't work !

sm02fly
18-06-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm about to order a q7 with the trailer pack , and will be towing a caravan with an alko hitch . These are pretty much standard on caravans so this is a massive issue for Audi if their system doesn't work !

I would think very carefully before ordering this. While I haven't tried an ALKO anti sway hitch, I have numerous trailers available to tow with them fitted which may cause me problems down the line.

Afternarket removeable bars bars look to be £300 + fitting. That's nearly £1k saved or available for other options... Or just accept the novelty steering may stop working, but you still have an electric towbar.

Diver Bryn
18-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I called Audi CS and asked which type of trailer hitches were compatible with the trailer assist tow bar. After the rep spoke to Audi technical I was fobbed off with 'it is down to the hitch manufacturers to confirm if it is compatible, as we don't make the hitch'.

That is like them telling me I should ask the Highways Agency to confirm the road is compatible for the Q7 to drive on. After all they just make the car...

Does not surprise me from Audi...However I note (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) that the new Audi SQ7 does not have the tow assist ring on the tow bar....may be Audi have had a few complaints???
They just have the run of the mill electric drop down and tuck away tow bar.

easyeieio
18-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Does not surprise me from Audi...However I note (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) that the new Audi SQ7 does not have the tow assist ring on the tow bar.

No, it includes the assist system on the SQ7 too (at the moment)

easyeieio
15-07-2016, 05:50 PM
I have just submitted a report to Audi Technical via my dealer and look forward to seeing what they have to say.

Hi Bryn, did you hear back from them yet?

nbedford
30-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Did my first tow over the bank holiday weekend with my Q7 and caravan with an ALKO 3004 hitch, didn't seem to have any detrimental affect on the trailer assist ring yet, but we didn't go too far.

GreaseNipple
14-02-2017, 04:52 PM
This is of interest to me so thought that I would ask if there is any news on this issue?

GreaseNipple
09-03-2017, 05:22 PM
I've done a little further research and have recieved the following from Westfalia, the Tow Bar supplier:

Thank you for your enquiry to Westfalia UK Ltd.

Upon testing, Audi tell us that you can use your AL-KO hitch with the new Q7 TTA system, the frictions pads should not be any less efficient but will wear faster when used with the TTA ring.
The ring around the towball will wear over time also and this is replaceable through an Audi dealership. How long they can take to wear is not currently known.

I've also tried Audi for info but with little success.

KentQ7
21-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Have you had any further experiences/information with this? I have the TTA kit and my folding camper has a Alko stabiliser hitch fitted, we are going to be using the camper soon. Should we use the stabiliser or not?

GreaseNipple
21-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Hi.

Just returned from South France having towed a caravan with AlKo Stabiliser for 1700 miles. No damage to towball ring and the trailer assist worked fine.

KentQ7
22-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Excellent news, thank you

easyeieio
24-07-2017, 08:37 PM
I've done a couple of hundred miles only towing a caravan with an Alko stabiliser, and no problems so far. Trailer assist also worked brilliantly

MacUsers
24-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Was going through this post and finally gone completely bonkers. But I see a lot of in-house expertise now. I also wanted to fit a two-bar - not for caravan or trailer but only for the bike carrier. Any suggestion. Don't like the tail like thingy sticking out of the back all the time though.

-S

Andymcdonald
15-08-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm about to order and see there's two tow bar options. I understand the 1300 pound option however I wanted to know what the 1050 option offered? Anyone have any information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VAGFan 2018
12-10-2018, 02:47 AM
I have the AudiQ7, fitted with Trailer Pack and so I have the assist ring.

When connected to a caravan with a friction type stabiliser, the combination of the two is POTENTIALLY LETHAL!!!!

I found this out "the hard way" and it was a terrifying experience!

As mentioned in another posting (Bryn) the ring is damaged by the friction pads, in the stabiliser.

The plastic tabs get broken and as they "can't go anywhere" - they melt onto the surface of the pads - so there is no longer any friction and therefore no stabilisation.

We almost had a disastrous accident.

A close passing, fast moving, large wagon set up a sway, in the composure of the van, which in a matter of seconds, rapidly escalated into violent left to right, left to right, movement and we very nearly toppled!!!

There was no prior warning - the caravan just, suddenly, went out of control

Very, very frightening and we were lucky to have survived it!

When we reached the site, I examined things.

The plastic tabs (a lot of them!) were "missing" from the assist ring and when I got down to inspect the hitch, the plastic had melted onto the pads.

A very dangerous combination - the Trailer Assist package is NOT suitable for towing a caravan.

Bryn - check the pads in your Alko.

Please can you report back to this forum to let others know how you went on with Audi?

Audi - please sort this, before there's a fatality.

AndyUnicorn
05-07-2021, 12:09 AM
Interested to hear the outcome of this story. On the verge of buying a 2019 Q7 with trailer assist, and the sensor ring already has some damage. Can it be replaced? What did Audi Technical say? Unsure whether to proceed with the purchase…

valewood
05-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Last car had Trailer assist and had to change the pads on the Alko stabiliser every year as they were getting worn down quickly ( didn't do that many tows) . The ring on the towbar seemed fine. Certainly caused some head scratching at caravan dealers when they saw it.

New car just has the folding towbar without trailer assist. Never used the assist feature ,so won't miss it or the ring!