PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cam install

remoteandrew
26-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Hello!

Ive got a dash cam I want to install in the new car but the trim is bit better put together than the Citroen it was in, can only one point me in the right direction of getting it hooked up with the wires hidden away? Also a better way to power it than the 12v on the centre console.

Was driving back home today with someone swerving like crazy in front, on the phone i think, and thought to myself I need the camera installed again!

It is this camera, bought it two years ago for £31 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPDDAME

Micu
26-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Would help if what kind of car it was. Most likely you'll get a 12v supply in the interior lamp area. Would have to fit a cigar socket if you could hide it behind the trim.

remoteandrew
26-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Was posted in the B9 A4 forum, figured that would of been enough aha.

Yeah its a B9 A4. any suggestions on routing the cable. I had a quick look and it doesn't look like the trip just pops off or am i being to gentle?

Micu
26-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Not had the trim off that model but watch for the airbag curtain anchor point if you going down the a pillar. Usually they do just pop off though with a lever behind.

remoteandrew
29-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Update :)

I have ordered a 12v socket (link (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252291427911?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)) and a fuse tap (link (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170709632237?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)). The intention is to install the 12v socket somewhere, probably where the fuse box is, using the fuse tap in the space currently occupied by the cars current sockets to power the camera when the ignition is on. I am just waiting on my 12v socket arriving to give it a bash. I will take some photos for you all and update you.

bluebarchetta
02-05-2016, 09:00 PM
There appears to be a prioritised shut down of systems to preserve battery life. I was hoping to select the right fuse to allow mine to keep running during parking as long as possible without affecting the main systems.

remoteandrew
12-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Ok!

So with the wire tap installed in the correct position for the sockets I have an issue. The 12v socket is being supplied power at all times, even when the car is off, the factory sockets power down when the ignition is off. I'm stumped. The fuse box must still be providing power some how.

Here is a video showing how it's hooked up. Ideas?

Audi A4 dash cam issue - YouTube (https://youtu.be/mFS9iczEdRY)

bluebarchetta
19-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Did you ever solve this one? The parts diagram shows 3 wires to the socket so it may be possible to get the equivalent of an ACC there?

I've installed a dash cam that's built into a replacement for the rear view mirror cowl but have left it switched off until I can get an 'ACC' supply. I might have a go at getting the panel with the socket out at the weekend...

spellsinger
19-07-2016, 10:57 PM
I tapped in to one of the passenger-footwell fuses - Sorry I can't remember exactly which one - however, it was (I think) the fourth row from the top (you will need to discard the plastic trim that covers each bank of fuses), it was definitely the bank that uses the smaller size fuse, it was also an empty socket, so no risk to existing circuits. I used a piggy-back fuse holder, I just tested a few sockets with a multi-meter until I found one that switched on and off with the ignition, there is a right-way and wrong-way round to use the piggy-back fuse holder - this is easy to check (after you have attached an earth wire), pull out the fuse, if this kills the power you are good to go, if not take it out and put the other way around. For the earth I used the side fuse panel (between passenger front door and dashboard trim) - there is a convenient nut you can use. As I said this is from memory, but I think is correct.

bluebarchetta
20-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Thanks - I'll look there.

TrickyTree1984
26-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks - I'll look there.

Did you get anywhere with this? I am trying to find a good slot for the piggyback fuse but they all seem to be permanently on on the side fuse panel by the passenger door.

I could use the foot well but there is not an anchor point for the earth. None of the boot fuses look like they would be off at ignition

bluebarchetta
26-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Sort of...

The 4th row of fuses in the passenger footwell do go off just after the ignition is switched off - so I have the Dash Cam working.

My unresolved problem is the setup has killed my DAB. I've tried ferrite beads at each end without any improvement. The next step is to shield the cables. I've just not had the time to try this yet.

TrickyTree1984
26-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Ok. Is there an anchor point to use in there for the earth?

I think i might know what is causing your DAB issue. Are you using a 12v (cigarette) plug into your adaptor? That is probably the culprit. I've never found one that doesn't kill my DAB. To solve this i got a hardwired adaptor that goes straight to the dash cam without the need for the cigarette plug.

DURAGADGET Hardwire In-Car Power Supply Lead For The: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KNT0JGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

bluebarchetta
26-09-2016, 03:25 PM
I could not find an easily accessible earth in the footwell. I used an earth in the side panel one above.

It's all hard wired - the kit came with integral mini fuse connections.

spellsinger
26-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Did you get anywhere with this? I am trying to find a good slot for the piggyback fuse but they all seem to be permanently on on the side fuse panel by the passenger door.

I could use the foot well but there is not an anchor point for the earth. None of the boot fuses look like they would be off at ignition

It is fairly easy to extend the "Ground" and attach to the bolt in the panel adjacent to the door (just a slight faff feeding the cable behind the trim to the footwell, do it outdoors if possible with bright sunlight and you should see a path) - then use one of the footwell fuses for the 12v.

[Just seen that I basically repeated the post above!]

derekjspence
11-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi there

I assume that you have managed to sort this out as the last post was back in September. I just picked up my new A4 B9 the other day which replaces my B8. In my B8, I installed a fuse tap into the fuse box on the end of the dash (drivers side) and routed the cable up the A-Pillar and along the headliner so the wiring was virtually invisible (apart from the 4in from the headliner to the camera behind the RV Mirror).
Anyway, I will be installing the fuse tab and dash cam into my B9 in the next few days. I asked at Aberdeen Audi and they say that I should use a fuse bank in the passenger footwell fuse box. Their advice was to use a 15A bank as this should be a switched live (ie. comes on with ignition) the 30A fuses are all apparently permanent live). As another reply stated, test the banks with a multimeter to determine which ones are switched and what ones are permanent.
If you look at page 406 to 408 of the owner's manual (8W0012720AE (http://bordbuch-online.audi.de/AudiBordbuch/docs/780c3a9c-653f-4723-8533-04415f537e53/index.html#406)), I believe you would install your tap into the black fuse bank. Sockets are in position 6 but I believe all positions in the black bank are switched live.
Im not too sure at the moment how to go about removing the A-Pillar trim but im sure I will find literature or figure it out.
Hope this helps. If I get around to it, I will post some photos of my install.

Fozzie1960
19-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Roadhawk are offering a 33% discount on their Vision Dash Cam if you buy before the end of June. Use the coupon code ppjune at checkout to redeem the offer.