PDA

View Full Version : Front tyre wear

150GT Passat
21-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Can other B8 estate owners tell me what mileage they have done and what their front tyre wear is like please?

I bought my 150GT estate in December with 4500 miles, and today it's done 11400 miles. When I got it, I noticed the front tyres (Continental 235/45 R18) seemed to have less tread than I thought they might have but didn't really pay much attention as my previous car, an Octavia vRS estate regularly managed between 17k and 20k on Hankook front tyres.
Anyway, when I turned the steering wheel right round tonight when I parked, I was shocked to see the two fronts are all but bald. The insides are especially bald, almost right through to the... whatever it is, fresh air!

What the hell is going on? I have driven the car much more sedately than I did the vRS, and have checked the pressure every two weeks or so, which has been set at 32.

HELP!

Guest 2
21-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Continentials are very soft so wear very very quickly and quite uneven, I have 12k on my A4 quattro and I've just had to replace my front Conti's with Dunlop Sport Maxx.

150GT Passat
21-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks for that. It'll certainly not be Contis I'm ordering from my local tyre fitter tomorrow...

gamichea
21-04-2016, 10:01 PM
This was my experience with the Contis my 2009 Passat CC arrived on. With the benefit of online reviews/tests and favourable experience of Nokian winter tyres I replaced the Contis with Nokian summer tyres and have been very pleased by all aspects. Incidentally, those summer Contis were useless in cold slippery conditions that summer tyres on previous vehicles would have coped with. Winter tyres are a revelation on snow and ice.

I swapped the Contis front and rear to maximise wear as a set and managed just under 18k. The summer Nokians were similarly swapped when they went back on at the end of March 2015 and when they came off last Autumn had covered 28k as a set and all were showing at least 4mm across the full tread width. They are less money than Contis but do not benefit from the self sealing technology the Contis have.

Its worth noting that summer tyres wear faster at less than 7 degrees Celsius and that winter tyres wear faster above that temp. I notice you live north of the border so winter tyres could be a good investment in more ways than one.

150GT Passat
21-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks gamichea.
I don't have any experience of Nokian tyres, even though I'm a big fan of Finland and have been many times. I did read recently on the Finnish version of the BBC website (YLE) that Nokian were in trouble for falsifying claims of the economy ratings for their tyres. Nor have I ever used winter tyres - it's not that much colder where I am than in Rutland!
But I can see that Contis have proved poor with several folk. As I said above, I have had great experiences with my 2013 vRS Octavia estate, which covered 72k miles in under 3 years, and which I used Hankook tyres very happily with, once the originals wore out. I always managed near to 20k miles on the fronts, without any bother.

P Adams
21-04-2016, 10:50 PM
I've got a GT 150 manual saloon from new last April and my fronts are down to about 4mm after nearly 10k.

Not that impressed really so the same as you guys. I've had various Michelin Primacy, Dunlop Sport and Verdestein on a B5, B6 and now a new B7 (my wife's car which had Conti 3s on from new which actually got to 25k) and they've all done so much better. She's got Primacy 3s on now and loves the ride.

niall campbell
22-04-2016, 12:36 PM
inside tyre wear is tracking issue

150GT Passat
22-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Two Hankooks now on the front, and tracking / alignment fixed, which was quite noticeably out.
Hope that's sorted things until about 30k miles now. ��

BenR
04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
18,500 miles now on my 15 plate 2.0 tdi DSG and I reckon the front tyres are about two-thirds worn, not yet down to the wear bars. I think the DSG makes me a smoother driver; I'm certainly more patient and more inclined to pootle in this car, which is the first auto I've ever had long-term.

mithun
14-10-2016, 04:25 PM
hi,
how do you find the hankooks ...is that evo2 k120 or k117.....how good is the handling,wet braking,cornering and wear.....thanks in advance

jimgironde
14-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!

Interested to know what people are getting from the fronts now that the B8 is a few years old?

I have done 17k since new on my 150GT B8 TDI estate and was quite shocked to notice they were down to 2MM. The factory fitted tyres are Hankook Ventus Prime 2.

My previous car was the Passat SE TDI Estate B6 which I had from new for circa 9 years. I ran that on Bridgestone Turanza E300 and would get circa 27/30K from the fronts.

My driving style is the same, the B6 was 16inch and the B8 is 18 inch. Current tyre wear is even across the tyre and the pressures are as recommended.

Any ideas why there is such a difference?

The Hankook is stated as having a hard compound but that is not my experience.

The Turanza E300 is not available as 235 45 r18 unfortunately.

Trying to work out the best way forward?

P Adams
14-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Still have my B8 GT 150 manual saloon from new in 2015 and was shocked myself with the factory fit Conti Sport Contact 5 18” tyres. The fronts lasted about 12k in the end. I drive various A and B roads in Hampshire and some are a bit rough but the Contis are soft!

I’ve got Michelin Primacy 3s on the front now and they’re great. The rear Conti Sport Contact 5s are obviously doing better and have lasted 26k so far and are still above 3mm. I’ll be changing those for Michelin this year

Frank Bullitt
15-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Funny you should say that about the Sport Contacts, when I bought my car in November it had a pair of these on the back with about 4mm on and a new pair of Goodyear F1 eagles on the front, I asked the dealer to swap them over (best tyres on the back, as always) and in the 4K and 4 months since those Conti’s are down to 2mm, i thought they might last until before summer! Looking around I see Michelin have just introduced Primacy 4’s so will get a pair of these and again have them put on the back and the Goodyear’s on the front - £150 a corner but better than my last car which was £200!

Frank Bullitt
24-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Just ordered a pair of Michelin Premacy 4’s from Blackcircles which are being fitted on Wednesday just before going on holiday towing the caravan at Easter - looking forward to seeing how good they are.

Frank Bullitt
16-04-2018, 07:59 PM
The Michelin Premacy 4’s have been on for 3 weeks now which has included a period of towing our caravan (100 miles each way) and can say they feel incredibly good when loaded and running solo - very quiet and excellent grip in the wet, so long as wear stands up (which it tends to with Michelin tyres) I’ll be getting two more when the front tyres are down to about 2.5mm