PDA

View Full Version : New Q7 solid black cleaning care

Skippy73
18-04-2016, 10:53 AM
So I have just officially entered my build week and I am getting excited knowing that it's not long now until the car arrives. I am hoping I have it by the last May Bank holiday weekend as we are away and we need the luggage space. Fingers crossed.

I've been thinking a lot about how I am going to care for the paintwork on the car when it arrives. My car is a lease for 3 years for work and so the car is actually delivered to my home. I figure it will only of been washed once since manufacture by the dealer so damage to the paintwork should hopefully be minimal.

But I accept that the solid black paintwork on the Q7 is a soft paint and I have a huge issue personally with swirl marks. So the question is how will I protect the paintwork. I would of gone to a detailer and had a Gtechniq crystal serum put on the car, but I can't really justify the cost on a lease car.

So for me I am going to use CQUARTZ UK which is a ceramic hard coating similar to the crystal serum except you can apply it yourself and is very simple. It's great stuff which I have used before.

My plan is:
Car delivered and parked on drive and before driving I will.
Wash car with gold class shampoo 2 bucket method and sheepskin mits.
Dry the car with waffle weave towels.
Claybar the car and rinse and dry again.
Inspect the paintwork for swirls and apply wax if required.
Then apply the CQuartz UK a panel at a time. 1 hour to dry then apply a second coat.
This should protect the car and it has good anti swirl properties. Can last upto 2 years.

How is everyone else looking after their cars?
In particular those with sold black paint? Is the paintwork holding up against swirl marks ok?

Also does anyone use a local car wash?

For me I am busy and I will struggle to always have time to wash the car and perhaps more so in winter. I have a very quite little car wash down the road from me and I used to give them a few lambswool wash mits and insisted they use those and only dry the car with the towels I give them on previous cars lol. Sure it means the 2 bucket method gets missed that way but at least it was something to lessen the damage of going to a local car wash.

What's everyone's thoughts?

andyhud007
18-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Hey Skippy

sadly as mine is wrapped, the normal methods do not apply for me, but on my old cars I used a similar approach

1. Foam Bath with foam gun and Megiuars Foam Shampoo
2. Spray down and possibly second foam bath depending on how the first loosened dirt
3. 2 Bucket method always, with lambs wool mitts using decent quality shampoo
4. Spray down again
5. Clar bar whole car (the longest part but the best rewards). I used Meguiars Clay bar spray but really even water will do as long as the clay bar is good
6. Wash wheels separately with separate mitts etc
7. All sorts of potions for glass etc.. Cant remember name off hand
8. Wax using 2 different wax sponges on a Meguiars electric wax machine thingy...

Something like that..

As I say, for my Matte wrap its different and I've had to get stuff that doesnt cause the matte to go "shiny" which most car shampoos do by default, but the elements are the same (minus the clar bar which I dont do now)

Never use a car wash, would rather wait

Andy

Gyro
18-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Have you got the GardX as part of your package? If so, I would tell them to forget it and take it to a car detailer; for about the same money you will get a far, far superior finish. I'm not sure you would need to clay bar a brand new car as it won't have many bonded contaminants (tar etc.) on it? Anyway, I've done this with my last couple of cars and it really looks the business and makes washing and cleaning the car so much easier.

As for CQuartz, definitely the way to go. Definitely two-bucket wash with wool mitt as you say. For at home washing I'm on the following schedule:

1. Cover the car in pH-neutral snow foam shampoo if required to get the worst of the muck off, let it dwell for around 20 mins.
2. Two bucket/wool mitt wash using Car Pro reset shampoo.
3. Wheel clean with different mitt.
4. Dry with good quality microfiber.
5. Remove any contaminants with Car Pro TarX (helps keep the clay bar requirement at bay for longer!).
6. Clean wheels with Car Pro IronX (amazing stuff but DO NOT use it in the garage as it properly stinks).
7. Apply Car Pro Reload sealant to exterior.
8. Clean interior leather and plastics with Car Pro Perl (4:1 with water).
9. Dress tyres with Car Pro Perl (neat).
10. Wife takes car to shop for milk in the rain and I immediately wish I hadn't bothered cleaning it!!!

I don't work for Car Pro by the way, I just really like their products. Appreciate everyone is different with opinions/products when it comes to car care, this is all IMO...

I take it back to the detailer for a top up every year.

Also, as Andy said, don't go to a car wash. I know what you mean re. time though, especially in the winter. I usually start mine on a Friday late afternoon, and get finished just after the kids are in bed :biglaugh:. Another must have is to have the tunes pumping and a fridge full of beer in the garage (not too much though!).

srbsq7
18-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I've booked mine in with a detailer to have SiRamik Glasscoatapplied. I might also get the SiRamik Diamas Professionali applied too but haven't quite decided!

After that, I will be 'attempting' to follow a wash procedure as per above and try not to make a mess of it!

Nemo78
18-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Amazing isn't it how much time we spend on cleaning our cars...

2 bucket technique as described by Andy for me - but that's about it. Haven't waxed or polished a car in ages as don't have that time now.

But washed with care then the shine is always there

Skippy73
18-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Amazing isn't it how much time we spend on cleaning our cars...

2 bucket technique as described by Andy for me - but that's about it. Haven't waxed or polished a car in ages as don't have that time now.

But washed with care then the shine is always there

Yours is solid black Nemo?

Nemo78
18-04-2016, 10:02 PM
No...my old A4 was diamond black (I think that was the Audi colour) and wife's current car is metallic black and if you look at them the paintwork is awesome still.

All about washing in direction of panel and gentle strokes .... When I sold my A4 the dealership were so impressed that a 7-8yr old cars paintwork looked so good

NickTyler
19-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Watch out on delivery. Mine is solid black and it came with swirl marks and more all over it from new. Dealers response was that solid black are all like that "it's normal" :zx11:. I looked round their holding bay and all the new cars were like that! ***!!! I had the Autoglym life-shine treatment and I think that its what caused the damage. When they cleaned it for that. That was a mistake and a big waste of money. They must have used sandpaper to dry or apply it or something. I feel like I paid the dealer £400 to ruin the car and then they just said it was 'normal

Anyway on mine you have to no more than breathe near the car and the movement of the air will swirl, mark and scratch it. Of course that is an exaggeration but only just!

I got a quote from a local well respected detailer and it was around £1000 to fix depending on the choice of final protection. I will wait a year or until I can no longer stand to look at the state of the car (so the day after delivery:() and then take it to him.

Hopefully yours won't be like that to start but be very careful with the paint as mine is like warm black butter.

Skippy73
19-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Watch out on delivery. Mine is solid black and it came with swirl marks and more all over it from new. Dealers response was that solid black are all like that "it's normal" :zx11:. I looked round their holding bay and all the new cars were like that! ***!!! I had the Autoglym life-shine treatment and I think that its what caused the damage. When they cleaned it for that. That was a mistake and a big waste of money. They must have used sandpaper to dry or apply it or something. I feel like I paid the dealer £400 to ruin the car and then they just said it was 'normal

Anyway on mine you have to no more than breathe near the car and the movement of the air will swirl, mark and scratch it. Of course that is an exaggeration but only just!

I got a quote from a local well respected detailer and it was around £1000 to fix depending on the choice of final protection. I will wait a year or until I can no longer stand to look at the state of the car (so the day after delivery:() and then take it to him.

Hopefully yours won't be like that to start but be very careful with the paint as mine is like warm black butter.
Ouch ok that scares me. I think the hard ceramic coating of CQuartz will be the go. It's perfect for soft paint finishes like this that mark easy and the hard ceramic coating will protect it. £35 a bottle I will be ensuring this goes straight on the car. Fingers crossed on the paintwork finish condition when it arrives.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
19-04-2016, 11:27 AM
The detailer I'm using has asked me to tell the dealership not to clean it. Just do the PDI checks and remove the protective film and leave any residue. Has anyone done this? Just wondering how bad the car looks and whether I would need to do a very gentle / minimal wash myself so it looked respectable until it goes to the detailer which is likely to be 2-3 weeks after I get it.

Skippy73
19-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm ready to wax it and lift any swirl marks on delivery before I apply the CQuartz

Q7newbie
19-04-2016, 05:36 PM
For my last 3 cars (when I became more knowledgeable about cars, detailing etc) I've categorically stated that my car not he washed when they have arrived at the dealership. They washed the 2nd one and I kicked up such a stink that they paid the £1,300 my detailer of choice charged for the full correction job and the protective sealing too.
If you can't get the car detailed and sealed on the day you get it, or better yet before you get it (most good detailers will collect it for you from dealer if need be). Then you're better off driving a dirty car for a few days or weeks than letting a dealership near it!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
19-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Very annoying but good effort on getting them to pay to rectify it. Did they wash the 2nd one in error or were they refusing to hand over without cleaning?

Q7newbie
20-04-2016, 09:40 AM
They washed out of poor communication between my sales guy, and the after-sales team who are responsible for the pre-delivery checks etc. Apparently the After-sales guys never got the memo to not touch the car! Funny, seeing as is CC'd the After-Sales manager into the email!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Skippy73
19-06-2016, 08:48 AM
So not sure how much you all love your new Q7, but if you love it half as much as me then you should care care about how you wash and look after it. Keeping it gleaming like new for as long as possible.

All the car cleaning products in the world mean nothing without decent clothes and wash mitts. So I decided to try the dodo juice yeti fist supernatural wash mitt. It's made with all natural Merino wool and you won't get softer or better for your car.

I wanted the wookies fist that has an even deeper pile but end up with the sister yeti fist in error, but I'm happy with it.

The wool is so long it traps the dirt in the fibres well and stops you spreading it around the car rubbing it in more and creating swirl marks on your paintwork.

Even looking after your clothes and wash mitts is important. You can't wash you yeti wash mitt except by hand and then I have to comb and brush it to keep it looking good and so it will last.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/4ab8c7940ddf29bac5972ef0c30638b8.jpg

Then I leave it to semi dry and lock it in an airtight bag until next week.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/407dada978f11cf5ffc34c1275ddd0b2.jpg

Another great product I would recommend and am happy with is the woolly mammoth drying towel. Incredibly soft and it is huge. Easily drys the whole of my Q7 I love it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/e1489ac6bcf3dff37f50c51de6253352.jpg

All my towels and microfibre clothes I clean in the washing machine with a non BIO detergent. But you can buy a detergent just for microfibre clothes from most online car wash websites.

Anyway just thought I would share a few products I am happy with when cleaning my Q7 each week :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pitch3110
19-06-2016, 02:12 PM
That's one hell of a mitt!!!!!!

I may give one of these ago, at the mo I switch between three mitts, one for top side, one for lower skirt line and below and one for wheels. Water is shifted with two Sonus der wunder towels.

The megs ultimate QD is still doing the job and the Gold Class carnauba quick wax is just such a lazy way to give that real wet look.

Worth a look is Chemical Guys fabric clean. I have been using it on Audi pile for 10 years and it is great for keeping carpets looking like new.

Keep 'em coming Skip.

Pitch

srbsq7
19-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Just ordered the mitt! I needed one for the lower skirt line too apparently [emoji23]. Hopefully I won't need new buckets given the amount of water they hold!?

I managed to get a couple of pics after detailer had applied the coating before driving back round the M25 in the rain. I had a look just now and although not perfectly clean, it's looking very good considering.

Looking forward to giving it a clean later this week.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/dc4d3ec09c61cd82225bc420d7648e02.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/ff46c4f943f6488167239d369b9cc097.jpg

Skippy73
19-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Looking really clean mate. Nice you have 2 buckets I hope?

pitch3110
19-06-2016, 06:42 PM
My last two cars have been that wonderful colour looks amazing.

Pitch

srbsq7
19-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Looking really clean mate. Nice you have 2 buckets I hope?

I do, but I've also ordered the grit guards with the mitt.

Skippy73
19-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Top stuff. Pressure pre wash with snow foam?

srbsq7
19-06-2016, 08:31 PM

Indeed! I think I got the basics from be polished bliss website.

Thakey17
19-06-2016, 10:56 PM

My Father's Day present was a snow foam lance. It's awesome. Used it yesterday with some Auto Finesse Avalanche. I just want to foam everything now. A seriously good purchase for those of you that want to do a proper job.

Also need to thank Pitch for the Zymol recommendation. That's the best shampoo I've ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxw
20-06-2016, 03:03 AM
I've tried loads of different types of pads wash mitts snow foam iron and tar removers
and the best that works for me is

dooka wash pads
woo woo wash mit also woo woo wheel wash mit
Liquid elements silverback dry towel
carpro iron X (lemon smells the best but still pong)
carpro tar X
'you can use carpro trix that's iron and tar combine to save time or
can use carpro iron X soap snow foam although good not as good as seperate iron and tar but lot quicker
Blit hamber auto foam snow foam
blit hamber auto clay
Gtechniq C5 wheel seal

wheel woolies (not cheap but great)

3 buckets with wash guard (wash wheel and clean water for wash mit/pad

above is the best of the best and what work for me that I'm now using

loads of other good stuff on the market and every one have different tastes

also loads of discount codes so always look befor buying some codes are unique to detailing world

nothing worse than keep buying stuff that's rubbish I've got a shed full to come up with the list above

hope this helps some of you and may not all work for you but all are highly rated

M

srbsq7
20-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Mitt arrived already. It's huge!

Skippy73
20-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Mitt arrived already. It's huge!

Yeah it won't swirl your paintwork that's for sure lol. Just takes looking after.

Let me know what you think

pitch3110
20-06-2016, 07:03 PM
I've tried loads of different types of pads wash mitts snow foam iron and tar removers
and the best that works for me is

dooka wash pads
woo woo wash mit also woo woo wheel wash mit
Liquid elements silverback dry towel
carpro iron X (lemon smells the best but still pong)
carpro tar X
'you can use carpro trix that's iron and tar combine to save time or
can use carpro iron X soap snow foam although good not as good as seperate iron and tar but lot quicker
Blit hamber auto foam snow foam
blit hamber auto clay
Gtechniq C5 wheel seal

wheel woolies (not cheap but great)

3 buckets with wash guard (wash wheel and clean water for wash mit/pad

above is the best of the best and what work for me that I'm now using

loads of other good stuff on the market and every one have different tastes

also loads of discount codes so always look befor buying some codes are unique to detailing world

nothing worse than keep buying stuff that's rubbish I've got a shed full to come up with the list above

hope this helps some of you and may not all work for you but all are highly rated

M

,what QD do you use??

ta
Pitch

Skippy73
20-06-2016, 08:05 PM
,what QD do you use??

ta
Pitch

I'm same as you pitch meguiars ultimate quick detailer

andyhud007
20-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Guys... Not to hijack thread but do you have any advice on cleaning a wrapped car?

Normal car shampoo shouldn't be used as it can contain wax in it which would make the matte wrap 'shiny'.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andy

Skippy73
20-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Andy I have not a clue to be honest having never experienced wraps before.

Some ingredients Ph neutral maybe?

Skippy73
16-07-2016, 12:57 PM
CAR CLEANING PRODUCT OF THE WEEK

So this week I want to know what everyone is using as tire shine? I have spent forever finding a product that will last as I hate it when you wash the car apply the tire dressing and when it rains the next day or so it's gone.

Well I found one Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel. Fantastic and it lasts weeks even after rain. Look at the photo of my wheel after I washed my car this morning
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/321940eecda7b27dafd71d3de970567e.jpg

That is endurance gel applied 2 weeks ago. I didn't even bother applying any this weeks wash. It's a bit better gloss in the first week than what you see in this picture but for me that is a brilliant tire dressing.

I'm not bothered by wet look dressing I'm after longevity and this wins hands down for me.

What do you guys use?

Gyro
16-07-2016, 01:09 PM
CAR CLEANING PRODUCT OF THE WEEK

So this week I want to know what everyone is using as tire shine? I have spent forever finding a product that will last as I hate it when you wash the car apply the tire dressing and when it rains the next day or so it's gone.

Well I found one Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel. Fantastic and it lasts weeks even after rain. Look at the photo of my wheel after I washed my car this morning
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/321940eecda7b27dafd71d3de970567e.jpg

That is endurance gel applied 2 weeks ago. I didn't even bother applying any this weeks wash. It's a bit better gloss in the first week than what you see in this picture but for me that is a brilliant tire dressing.

I'm not bothered by wet look dressing I'm after longevity and this wins hands down for me.

What do you guys use?

I use PERL from Car Pro, and apply it with a foam tyre applicator. Use it neat on tyres and diluted 1:4 for use on interior leather and plastics. It's water-based.

Skippy73
16-07-2016, 01:13 PM
I use PERL from Car Pro, and apply it with a foam tyre applicator. Use it neat on tyres and diluted 1:4 for use on interior leather and plastics. It's water-based.

So doesn't it just wash off when it rains?

Gyro
16-07-2016, 01:38 PM
So doesn't it just wash off when it rains?

No, should've said, it's water based silicon oxide (basically quartz) so it does "coat" the tyres. The blurb says it lasts for three months but I go around 4-6 weeks between applications...and I live in Scotland!

Skippy73
16-07-2016, 01:49 PM
No, should've said, it's water based silicon oxide (basically quartz) so it does "coat" the tyres. The blurb says it lasts for three months but I go around 4-6 weeks between applications...and I live in Scotland!

Thanks I might give that a try. Matt or gloss finish?

Gyro
16-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks I might give that a try. Matt or gloss finish?

Slightly gloss finish. Here's my X5 tyres just done (the DLUX is the coating used on the wheels).

andyhud007
16-07-2016, 02:36 PM
I use meguiars too

maxw
16-07-2016, 02:45 PM
All the top people do some great stuff but every one has there own fav

megs tyre shine is good and come with its own tyre foam and holder

gtechniq t1 or t2 is great
car pro is good
Gyeon Q2 tyre

best for most things and won loads of awards is blit hamber

PITCH