PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable replacement?

Bikerman
14-10-2007, 09:58 AM
I am trying to replace the clutch cable on my '92(K) Golf CL 1.8 petrol, manual, 5 door. Not being the most gifted mechanic in the world, I've invested in a Haynes manual. They keep referring to "020 & 02K and 084 & 085 transmissions" with different instructions for each. How the hell do I find out which version I've got???
I've searched the logbook, service manual, vin plate in engine compartment and sticker inside the boot, none of which carry any of the above numbers?
Any where else I can try, or is it just a question of ploughing ahead and take it as it comes?
The instructions for each versions are quite different so I suppose it would be handy to know before hand.
I have done a quick search in the forum but failed to find anything that helps. Maybe I'm not entering the right criteria? any help here would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie.:(:(:(

Pernicitus
21-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Probably to little to late but,
I have the same haynes manual and a few pages on from the clutch section, at the start of chap 7. It gives a list of Engine models and transmissions.

All the 1.8 5 speed models have a 020 transmission!

Not sure if this helps but good luck any way!
:beerchug:

Bikerman
22-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the info.. I stumbled across this myself later on. Had to convert Kw to Bhp to check I was looking at the right engine/transmission and you're right, it is an 020. It's going in to a local mechanic just round the corner tomorrow. I haven't got the facilities (or the patience) to tackle it myself. Useful to have the knowledge anyway.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Pauloz
22-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info.. I stumbled across this myself later on. Had to convert Kw to Bhp to check I was looking at the right engine/transmission and you're right, it is an 020. It's going in to a local mechanic just round the corner tomorrow. I haven't got the facilities (or the patience) to tackle it myself. Useful to have the knowledge anyway.

Cheers,
Jamie.
Why/how do you know you need to replace the clutch cable bud? Bear in mind that changing the cable, could adversely affect the operation of the clutch, especially if its been in there a long time as they can get set in a grove so to speak....