PDA

View Full Version : First Time Audi Driver - Any tips for handover?

AndyMD
12-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

First time Audi driver here! Picking up a A4 Sport Ultra 2.0 190 on Friday :D Having come from BMW where I was treated with zero customer service (my handover was in the rain next to the 2nd hand mini and the salesman was on a promise with a blonde, so just said here are the keys, I've got to go) I'm looking for what to look out for or to ask on Friday?

Thanks in advance
Andy

k5 gus
12-04-2016, 08:33 PM
What sort of car person are you ?

Are you someone who downloads the user manual in advance, reads it 20 times cover to cover, and knows more about the car than the salesman ? In which case you'll want as quick a handover as possible and get off driving asap.

Or are you someone who has done little research, and wants to be shown and explained every button and menu option 2 or 3 times ? In which case try and book a couple of hours with your salesman ( or someone else if he has a hot date ! )

I've been offered a tour of service area and introduction to service manager in the past, but turned it down - if car is not a lemon then I should have very little interaction with these people.

You are the customer, let them know in advance what you expect to happen and see if they can meet your expectations.

EssexGonzo
13-04-2016, 12:08 PM
The best advice I ever got was that you should be picky, very very picky. Not in the sense of being an awkward a**e, rather that you're paying top money for a new PERFECT product and will assess it's condition as such.

Also, pick the top 5 tech/complicated things that are most important to you and ask about them. E.g. phone pairing, driver select modes, music, ACC etc. The rest you can learn over time.

But you can't undo missing a scratch or some prep swirls, so I'd concentrate on condition, tools/spare tyre and engine fluids (I once got a company Rover delivered with no oil in it). And if its raining, dark or rushed, note that down on the form you sign.

My latest car was by far and away the most expensive (£95k list with options) one I'd ever bought and in the 15 minute version of the handover with the salesman in the reveal area everything looked great. However, I drove it out and parked just outside the showroom and spent 15 minutes on my own, not distracted. I found three issues previously missed by me but which would have been seen by whoever did the PDI. All amicably fixed.

AndyMD
13-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Many thanks both of you. Looking forward to Friday

MJC_OK
15-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Are you getting it from an Audi dealer? I've been very impressed by my last two dealings with them, they have a nice sense of theater where you're taken to the presentation room, car is under a nice cover and then removed for the big reveal :) I asked my salesman to give me 15 minutes alone, so I could get accustomed to the new car and then raise any queries I had at the end, which worked fine for me. Mine also sent me a video early in the day, of the car being delivered and set up, adding to the "suspense"

Try and get some free **** out of them too! I've had flowers, champagne, various cables, a cuddly Audi car toy for my son and a roof rack (for when said son is being a git) - if you don't ask, you usually don't get.

iambu
16-04-2016, 05:04 PM
How did collection go AndyMD?

AndyMD
16-04-2016, 07:10 PM
It went very well! Much better than my past experience at BMW!!! When I picked up my 3 series, the handover was in the rain, in the used mini section of the dealership and the 'salesman' was on a promise and just said here's the keys, here's the manual, we can't get DAB radio here, but if you read the ,manual when you get home you will work it out, I'm sorry but I have to leave now, and that was that.No more, no less

Yesterday was so much different. My car was in the showroom under a cover and once the paperwork was done it was unveiled to me and was left to have a good look round the outside. The salesman then came back with a bottle of champagne and drove the car out of the showroom and took me through every detail of the car, the infotainment, Adblue, the nocks and crannies and made sure that I was entirely happy before he gave me he keys and shook my hand. All the time being talked to as an equal. The 60 mile drive home was a breeze. I'm looking forward to getting to know it more tomorrow having now downloaded Android Auto and see how that works.

The only sight concern was the engine fan stayed on FULL BLAST for about 10 minuets after I got home. Not sure if this is normal or not?

iambu
16-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Glad all went well! Sounds like a hugely improved service / collection compared to your BMW experience!
Your original post says you have the 2.0 190, is that TDi or TFSI? I doubt the fan staying on at the end of your journey is anything to worry about, I've had that happen sometimes on my current VW Scirocco (2.0 TDi 170).

AndyMD
16-04-2016, 09:13 PM
It's a TDI Ultra Sport - Still learning the lingo! Coming from BMW and the F36 etc etc. I currently think my car is know as a B9 On a learning curve but my experience is 1000% better than BMW already

AGW82
18-04-2016, 08:04 AM
The only sight concern was the engine fan stayed on FULL BLAST for about 10 minuets after I got home. Not sure if this is normal or not?

Don't worry about the fan running, it's a normal part of the DPF regen process, if the car is cut off beofre it completes the cycle the fan will continue to run so the engine can cool down.

I don't know if Audi have programmed new cars to do a regen early on for some reason, but mine did it when I picked the car up as well. I did a 70 mile trip home, mainly motorway, and the fan kept running once I'd got home. It hasn't done it since, but I do plently of long motorway trips, so it probably completes the cycle before I turn the car off, plus it shouldn't need to do a DPF regen that often unless you're doing lots of short journeys.

Enjoy the new car :D

jake25
18-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Good to hear about your positive experience. I must say my dealings with the dealer so far with my purchase is miles better than anything else I've had so far, so really hoping for a similar experience in a few months.

Enjoy the new car!

AndyMD
18-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks folks, first problem has arisen! I'll think I'll start a new thread......