PDA

View Full Version : What tyres ?

Getoiu
11-04-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm currently with Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on my B8 and it's time for new ones.
They're 225/50 r17 and although they're a bit low when I first bought the car I'm not satisfied with the performance.
Bad on wet, noisy and hard. I don't know much about tyres but from what I read online this is supposed to be a good tyre.
Am I right to think that if I buy 225/60 with soft side wall such as Uniroyal Rainsport 3 the ride quality will improve and will it be too big ?

What would people recommend ? Any experience ?

chrishamer
12-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Funnily enough I just replaced my rears so very much understand where you are coming from.

My fronts are Nokian ZLine tyres fitted on the front - Audi Belfast fitted those when I purchased the car last year. I find them OK but they are a bit rubbish on wet surfaces.

The ones I'm going with all round at Continental Contact Sport 5 (specifically MO - Mercedes Option tyres) 225 / 50 / 17 W

Now that probably sounds bonkers to some of you, but contrary to popular belief AO stands for Audi Option and not Audi Only, thus there are no legal ramifications from putting MO tyres on your Audi (I have an e-mail from Continental's head office to that effect). The reason for this, is that the MO compound is better in the wet than the Audi compound and also slightly quieter. There isn't much in it, but considering they are the same price I went with them anyway.

Whether you choose AO or MO I'd be tempted to go with Continental Contact Sport 5 tyres, I have used variations of it in my last few tyres and found them very satisfactory. Much better than the Pirelli tyres my car was fitted with from new - especially for wet grip and dry breaking performance.

Getoiu
12-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Thanks. I've just had e killer price for £100 per tyre plus fitment of Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/50 17 94W. I read very mixed opinions on all tyres and decided to give them a go.
I'm not a very sporty type of a person (my audi is 136 bhp anyway) and I'm with the standard suspension. Comfort is the prime goal for me so soft wall tyre should be better I guess.
With the Primacy 3 I can feel even the paint markings on the road. I wanted to initially go with even higher side wall but was afraid that it might be too much. The other thing was the load rating.
I didn't choose the XL for the same reason - comfort although sometimes I'm driving fully loaded with people and luggage. Anyway it should be ok. There's too many small things that started to put me off
the car though and started doing test drives of E Class and 5 Series. So unless the new tyres are night and day difference I'll change the brand in the next months.

Whippy53
12-04-2016, 06:49 PM
My missus has those, very happy. I run f1's, also very very happy with those.

Getoiu
14-04-2016, 01:22 PM
So I'm just coming back from the service and noticed that They've fitted 98W instead of 94W which are extra load tyres and have to drive them on 2.4 and 2.3 instead of 2.1 and 2.0 Bars. The thing is that my previous ones were also 98W and I've always complained of bumpy ride.
As I'm pretty sure that it's mainly coming from the suspension itself,but do you think that the extra load tyres could partially cause that and worth the time to go and complain ?