PDA

View Full Version : A few problems Passat business edition Manual , bog standard

Chippo1
10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Had the car for about 4 months now , having previously had an A4 , basically didn't want another Audi ever again over rated nice plastic but of course rest is from the VAG part bin , a triumph of marketing over substance , and the dealers well don't get me started .

Anyway Passat chosen really because our broker had some some cracking deals with next week delivery on standard cars so thought sod give it a go can't be worse than the out going A4 , and in many ways it's much better.

nicer ride , ok handling still a little bit of under steer but not as much as the A4 and if really pushed sort of settle into a fairly neutral stance , very slightly noisier but there may be an explanation , same consumption which has now gone down and settled on 47mpg as right foot has become progressively heavier same as the old A4. I think a much sharper interior , nice seat albeit cloth bigger boot and more rear leg room , so I am told by those who occasionally sit there. The dash layout and the horizontal fins with integral vents in my eyes knocks spots of the old A4 , other erognics better to , like you can see the fog light switches just, no coin sluts. , but then in the A4 they were no good for £1 coins only euros , the hold assist works a treat although still would ultimately prefer a real handbrake , I like to drive the car not have it Chaufer me , so used the ACC once and found it disconcerting , but that'me

Now the negatives ! , the dealers well I suppose from the same mould as Audi useless in the stream so far. Fist return it took 1 1/4 hours to book car in and can't remember how many times the bimbo asked if I wanted coffee and biscuits and of course you not allowed to go up to the service desk another bimbo comes and deals with you , I lost the will to live !

car needed a new touch screen , software update for knows faults with phone , new brake system switch as auto hold failed , software update for random alarm triggers ( called VW assist for this alarm going of one night neighbours not happy , cure left car unlocked ) they couldn't find noise/ vibration or the odd clutch notice when engaged when pushing on . 2 weeks delivery for parts they gave me an UP , awful **** poor engine on that , had my car back until parts arrived.

Phone problems persist , auto hold just failed again , dealer agreed and also said there is an ongoing problem with heater matrix pipes touching causing the noise/vibration , also admitted most likely have a DMF problem , also the infotainment system keeps disappearing requiring a turn off and on again fix, so service manager took details and would get back to me with a date when a loan car was available , that was Monday , chased twice last week still no call back ,

so so all in a VW fail , miserable service , coupled with what seems like poor build and design , I mean pipes rattling , that's like the old BL or TVR, sort it as it goes , we have done something like 300,000 miles in 3 Hondas , our own cars still own 2 and never experienced this sort of service or number of faults , I know Audi in reliability surveys are thought to be just about the most unreliable major manufacturer and with most expensive repairs is this the same for VW , after all same car different clothes .

MattB247
10-04-2016, 09:03 PM
That doesn't sound good, I'd think about going to VW Corporate at HQ and complaining, you shouldn't be having this sort of issue on any car, yet alone a premium product. No disrespect but I hope yours is a one-off and not representative of the model in general as I'm expecting my Passat in June!

Chippo1
10-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Matt , Even dealer said the noise vibration is not uncommon , one fitter also said lots of problems with the infotainment system and phone connectivity. The only thing that worked properly on the Audi was the phone , same phone still to !

the dealers are truly awful , both Audi and WV , only tired the one VW so far, tried several Audi , I didn't get much help from Audi UK and they got very upset when I contacted the big boys in Germany , the car is still with us and the guy who drives it now sees the same issues , but of course Audi are like little Britain , , they plug in, and computer says No , and that is basically it no ability to fault find any more other than with a lap top.

i truly hope they sort it soon other wise I will not ever be in a VAG product again , my first choice was in fact a Mazda 6 , but so expensive to lease unlike the Passat which was almost given away , virtually all other options MB , BMW , yes Vauxhall, ford , Toyota etc were more expensive by miles , didn't even consider another Audi.

BenR
11-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Bizarre, innit? I've had my 2.0tdi SE estate for a year now and had zero faults. Nothing.

Chippo1
11-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Not blizzare at all , mine might well be an exception , but then again having recently had the Audi experience and general trawl around I think not.

Cars are, nowadays are generally very reliable and well made regardless of manufacturer , but I wouldn't consider VW to be leader any more in either build quality or reliability , they are in the pack , and to be honest I can't really think of a mainstream manufacturer who produces a complete POS. the Koreans obviously are very confident of thief build quality offering very comprehensive and long lived warranties esp by comparison to say Audi and VW. Which must reflect on their ability to produce a reliable well built piece of equipment , other wise the costs would bankrupt them. Aren't Bently , yes a VAG company supposed to give the best overall 5 years unlimited mileage ?

I actually think one of the biggest problems is the arrogance of the dealers, but sitting waiting, so far makes me feel they are still pandering to a mistaken belief that they are a cut above the average and can therefore treat the people who pay thief wages with contempt ! They will with this attitude go the same way as a fare bit of the UK automotive industry

gamichea
12-04-2016, 09:23 AM
There are good dealers out there, but they are getting thinner on the ground. My third VW has just completed build at Emden and the reasons I look no further than VW include that I like the cars and I like my dealer who earned my trust and respect through the workshop efficiently sorting out all the problems I had with my B6 Passat Sport with the infamous 2 litre PD engine. They are a one branch family business with a 50+ year history, not a branch of a big organisation. They recently gave up the VW new car franchise to concentrate on VW approved used cars and workshop. They do not seem to be alone amongst the smaller outlets. They have also become an approved Skoda workshop. In some ways they could be ahead of the game as manufacturers increasingly open their own sales outlets.

I will look no further than them for my service and warranty needs and they are keen to take my current CC into their used stock when the B8 arrives saving me the disposal hassle and giving them a car to sell whose background they are familiar with.

djmx5
12-04-2016, 04:33 PM
No issues with my SE business so far after 12 months. Can't really comment on the VW dealers, other than purchase and first service being straightforward. I used an independent service facility with my b5 and was very confident in their ability to fault find. I shall return to them when the service freebie ends with this car.
Chippo1….given the litany of complaints you have thrown at VAG in your post, cost aside, I cannot see why you chose another VAG product. Had I your experience I would have gone elsewhere. Seems you are once again wanting.
I agree Audi is v.overpriced. We have run a Skoda as a replacement for an old A3, will defo be having another soon. Honda good, though never had one, my pal has one that is ages old and goes great. Guess all brands have good and bad points and the odd lemon too.
D

Chippo1
12-04-2016, 08:08 PM
I was up against it , problems at work to resolve that meant no real time to mess about with cars, the broker came up with a deal that left all the completion standing , this was at the height of the scandal when I think VAg sales were hit. So time being a consideration and cost the Passat was ordered and delivered in a week.

we have 2 Hondas , one nearly 16 years old that has spent 80,000 miles being drive liike it was stolen , just has a noisy wheel bearing at the moment , at the moment they don't make single decent car other than maybe a jazz which is fine for specific requirements , my wife loves hers the previous one did 110,000 hard miles and was still perfect and hadn't cost a penny other than routine servicing.

i like the Passat , but service from ******** and the problems are straining the relationship, the ******** beggar belief , today still no call , Lacey eventually said sorry was her fault , but as I was driving I asked for an email confirmation of the booking , nowt , so another call tomorrow and I will get onto VW about the appalling service , I suspect the ******* does not like calling mobiles ! Surely not

Justin-W
19-04-2016, 04:22 PM
From my experience with the B8 SE Business 2.0tdi
First couple of days the heated windscreen wouldn't work on the drivers side, turned out to be a loose wire however since then I find the windscreen and side front side windows can easily mist-up depending on weather.
Later on radio wouldn't give any sound for music, satnav, phones and needs restarting (on-going)
Two months in the instrument cluster alarms "No key found" whilst driving this has not been looked at but on going gremlin.
Today (just over 4 months) the handbrake issue, scenario slight incline involving me reversing into a bay (uphill if you could call it that). Whether you use the foot brake only and stick into neutral or you physically applied the handbrake switch, you put the car into neutral and lift clutch pedal car would roll forwards. However it did engage and hold fully with ignition off (auto mode).

Considering I also have a work colleague with the same car (1 week younger than mine) and his has already been in the garage for 2 months, issues been handbrake and the whole entertainment console doesn't work. VW have sent him an apology letter asking for an addition 8 weeks / 2 months it just makes you want to cry. Our manufacture / delivery was December.

Chippo1
19-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Well mines in again today , now turning into 2 days will update when it comes back , who list of defects again.

beginning to look like poor design and build no wonder VW ( who said premium brand !) can't offer warranties to compete with Japanses and Korean manufacturers !