PDA

View Full Version : Driver assist

jake25
08-04-2016, 11:53 PM
I have an Avant Sport 2TFSI S-tronic on a test drive for the weekend. The only option on the car is the technology pack. Going through the options on the drivers console there is a "Driver assist" option that shows the nose of the car in a graphic representation, but I cannot figure it if this do anything. I've pressed all the buttons but it does not seem to switch anything on or off. Is this something to work in conjunction with the cruise control or does it not do anything on this spec?

AT.
09-04-2016, 07:58 AM
The Assistant display shows you the optimal distance between your car and the car in front of you.

It is only a visual display [IMHO not very useful], and as far as I know there are no settings, the only thing you can select with the left dial is the ACC status line [date/time/etc/ACC]. I think, the main idea for this display was to let you see the actual ACC behaviur if ACC was preset to "Auto" in the car settings, because in this case ACC can act in different way for the different traffic situations. It can display such messages like: "ACC is in standby", "ACC Automatic Go", "Stationary object ahead", "ACC - comfort", "ACC - dynamic" and also the ACC distance [1-4] which was pre-selected by you. I think, this display is the perfect example of a dog and pony show.

Anyway the main graphic will give you a middle age graphic reference that you are too close for the car in front of you [red] or when you follow a car with ACC [green]. Also it will go red if the braking assistant feels that you are too close to the other car, and as far as I know, that's all folks. Honestly, this is the only display which I never use.

jake25
09-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks, confirmed as not useful then:)

MJC_OK
12-04-2016, 09:01 AM
had the shock of my life last week, when the pre-sense determined I was too close to a car that was breaking ahead of me .... trust me, the car autobreaking at 70ish mph is not a fun experience -new boxer shorts were almost required!

AT.
12-04-2016, 09:07 AM
had the shock of my life last week, when the pre-sense determined I was too close to a car that was breaking ahead of me .... trust me, the car autobreaking at 70ish mph is not a fun experience -new boxer shorts were almost required!

Yes, but that's what the Audi Braking Guard did for you, it doesn't happen because you selected the Assist display.

Anyhow, it's better change an underwear, then to get a new wheelchair.