PDA

View Full Version : Any good deals on Car breakdown Cover

cameron1
05-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Hi Guys

RE: Any good deals on car Breakdown Covers (Just nationwide NOT EU)

I've decided not to renew my breakdown cover with the AA.... their prices are absolutely shocking!! :zx11:

I'm looking for a cheap reliable breakdown cover that will cover me in an unfortunate situation. I am looking for a cover to include something like .... if my car breaks down away from home the patrol guys will try to repair the car and if they can't i want them to recover the car along with all the passengers in the car to the destination of my choice and NOT a nearby garage.

Would appreciate any input/ recommendation

Thanks
Cameron

Doctle Odd
05-04-2016, 11:12 PM
RAC offers most of what you want it's £170 a year

cameron1
05-04-2016, 11:29 PM
RAC offers most of what you want it's £170 a year

Thats pretty steep

Doctle Odd
05-04-2016, 11:34 PM
I know there's green flag, I've not used them moved to the AA from RAC a couple of years ago, both very expensive

cameron1
05-04-2016, 11:51 PM
I know there's green flag, I've not used them moved to the AA from RAC a couple of years ago, both very expensive

Agree, surely there must be cheaper options out there with the same benefits

zollaf
06-04-2016, 09:04 AM
try looking at GEM. they are the thinking persons recovery service. sure, they won't be cheap like the budgie, but do you want to wait 3 hours because you are tight, or do you want good service..

Doctle Odd
06-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Most of the recovery insurance is sold on the assumption that the car is well maintained and usually modern and that it won't actually break down. Say you’re from Torquay and touring in the Scottish Highlands and you break down, clutch gone. The cost of bringing you, your family and your car home would be prohibitive. Usually the breakdowns are something simple like batteries, a fuse or fuel problems the recovery people don't do complex repairs they bring you to the nearest place that will do the work. I think recovery from Inverness to Torquay plus a taxi is expecting a lot on the cheap, I'm sure it's available at a price.

Sam
06-04-2016, 09:51 AM
AutoAid - UK Car breakdown recovery insurance the cheap way | AutoAid Breakdown (http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/) - has been MoneySavingExpert's top recommended service for a few years.

It operates on a pay and reclaim basis but it has everything you need and only costs ~£45 a year.

zollaf
06-04-2016, 11:52 AM
just had a customer recovered from yorkshire to me, with a blown engine, in a 97 discovery. did they question in, no, they took him to collect a loan van so he could carry on and bought his disco back to me to fix. guess who he is with, yep.. GEM. gem also do a pay and reclaim service but we pay 100 or so a year and if we needed to fork out to get the s4 back from scotland and pay for a hotel, well, it would be loads, but if you never travel far then its a win win.. bear in mind a recovery can be a grand quite easily...

Doctle Odd
06-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Last recovery I had to pay for was 30 miles 3.00 pm ish, €200.00+ VAT it's very expensive

cameron1
06-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Has anyone used Greenflag breakdown, they seem to be alot cheaper than AA, RAC

The Greenflag rescue plus is only £60 which seems dead reasonable and it appears to be a comprehensive breakdown cover

https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cover

What do you guys think?

Sam
07-04-2016, 09:06 AM
I used Greenflag for two years. I only called them out twice (neither callouts were for me or my car) and both times they were there within the hour.

Jump start for one vehicle done at the side of the road. Sheared hub/driveshaft for another obviously not done at the side of the road. The vehicle and occupants were recovered home and then recovered the next day to a garage of my choice - all covered by the policy.

Other than the flatbed driver knowing absolutely everything about everything, they were fine, no better or no worse than RAC.

rick81
07-04-2016, 03:45 PM
I have breakdown cover through nationwide bank account
Covers account holder in any car
Think its calls the flex account
Used service once - no problems
£10 per month
Also includes travel insurance and 1yr extended home electrical item warranty

2006 A6 3.0 Le Mans Quattro

stuart
07-04-2016, 07:41 PM
How about trying Chris Knott, our approved insurance scheme providers.... :)

VW Audi Forum - The #1 VW Group Community (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/170301-Discount-on-UK-Breakdown-Cover-for-VWAudi-members)

cameron1
08-04-2016, 01:32 AM
I used Greenflag for two years. I only called them out twice (neither callouts were for me or my car) and both times they were there within the hour.

Jump start for one vehicle done at the side of the road. Sheared hub/driveshaft for another obviously not done at the side of the road. The vehicle and occupants were recovered home and then recovered the next day to a garage of my choice - all covered by the policy.

Other than the flatbed driver knowing absolutely everything about everything, they were fine, no better or no worse than RAC.

Many thanks guys for your extremely helpful input, appreciate it.

Sam, do you remember what type of cover you took with greenflag, they offer about 5 different covers?

I'm looking for the exact same cover that you had with greenflag.

If my car breaks down i want them to recover me and any passengers in the car home and dropping the car off to the garage of my choice and NOT just any nearby garage

Sam
08-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Many thanks guys for your extremely helpful input, appreciate it.

Sam, do you remember what type of cover you took with greenflag, they offer about 5 different covers?

I'm looking for the exact same cover that you had with greenflag.

If my car breaks down i want them to recover me and any passengers in the car home and dropping the car off to the garage of my choice and NOT just any nearby garage

It was Recovery Plus on a Personal cover basis, but it wasn't cheap. In 2011/12 I paid £142. I haggled with them on renewal and paid a fraction less. This was on a 2001 Passat.

Scott K
18-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Don't know if you have gone ahead with this yet but we got an offer in yesterday for the audi recovery which seems pretty comprehensive. £83 for the year. This was for my wife's car which is just over 3 years so we no longer get the free service. I threw it out though as she has got a new car arriving soon so I can't even give you the contact details, I'm afraid.

Eshrules
18-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Don't know if you have gone ahead with this yet but we got an offer in yesterday for the audi recovery which seems pretty comprehensive. £83 for the year. This was for my wife's car which is just over 3 years so we no longer get the free service. I threw it out though as she has got a new car arriving soon so I can't even give you the contact details, I'm afraid.

Time to get your head in that paper bin champ!

yorkshiregit
16-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Nationwide is fantastic for what you pay, even though it's going up to 13 a month. No limit to time on the continent either, most cover for 90 days only

Lukenkarl
17-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Try the banks. We have a HSBC account for £12 a month you get breakdown cover, mobile phone cover and travel insurance. I used the breakdown once and they were there in 20 minutes. We use the travel insurance a few time a year so that pays for itself easy

M1tchy
18-08-2017, 07:59 AM
I agree with the HSBC cover. Very good but it doesn’t cover your car, it covers any car you are in. Holiday insurance also included for the £12 is very good, got a 100% refund one year from a skiing trip as there was no snow! I wouldn’t have paid out as it’s “an act of god” but they refunded the lot including flights and hotels even though we went!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lukenkarl
18-08-2017, 08:20 AM
The only possible issue with the HSBC breakdown is that you can only use 4 or 5. ( I can't remember exactly) per year.

joe cash
10-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Give Start Rescue a try - price based on age of vehicle - home start etc, limit of 6 call outs per year with legal thrown in