PDA

View Full Version : Used MK1 facelift Q7 - bigger family car now required

L3nnox
04-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Right we need a bigger car than the A6 due to a family change, if you get my drift. Ordered another A6 for May delivery as we thought it would do but no. Week in Arran and the cars busting at the seams, roof box would help but I really don't want one, so..... The other option..

2010-2012 Q7 S-line 3.0tdi. Like them in white and dark grey.

Questions:
1. What option to go for? I'm thinking full leather, Pano roof, mem seats and Bose??
2. Is the 2012 update worth the extra?? All I can see is a new steering wheel??
3. Tyres, are they really that hard on them?? Best replacement?
4. Expected mpg??
5. Anything I need to be aware of??

If not a Q7 what else?? ML & GL discounted as was the X5 and all land rover products.

Q7newbie
04-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Options: dependent on your driving habits and lifestyle/car usage.
I have kids and the Pan roof is always a great treat, and adds great ambience to the cabin.

Bose is a definite must if you like decent sound when you're on the road.

If your wife will also drive the car and you guys have significantly different heights/sitting styles, then memory seats are a God send. (I can't bear the thought of having to manually adjust the electric seats every time my wife's been in it!)

If you do quite a bit of night time driving then high beam assist is good.
And if you're a regular motorway slug, then ACC is one to have too.
And reversing camera.

Tyres? YES the Q7 is as vicious on tyres as you've heard. Unless you will barely do a few hundred miles a month, drive like an Air Craft Carrier and fit tyres of a really hard compound (that have horrid braking abilities), then you will go through tyres at a much higher rate than you're accustomed to. I averaged 4-5 thousand miles per set! (but then I drive in dynamic and a bit more aggressively than most I think)

If you're an average combined motorway and town driver etc, you're best expected MPG will probably be mid 30's.

If it's been taken care of and well serviced, then you really shouldn't have too many issues to worry about with it.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

L3nnox
04-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Cool, I have 8 weeks before I need it so will keep an eye out for the right spec.

Anyone used Saxtons?? They have 63 Q7s?!?

Q7newbie
04-04-2016, 10:20 PM
The facelift for 2012, was mostly MMI software related. Once again, the benefits of it are dependent on your needs.
It brought Audi connect to the MMI, brought wifi Hotspot, allowed for live traffic updates for the satnav if used in google maps mode (I've probably missed some stuff too!)

L3nnox
05-04-2016, 12:05 PM
So it sounds like there is little to make me push for a 2012. I have a number of plates I could put on it so that's not the issue.

Thanks for that, just need to keep an eye out.

EssexGonzo
05-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Cool, I have 8 weeks before I need it so will keep an eye out for the right spec.

Anyone used Saxtons?? They have 63 Q7s?!?

Is that Saxtons 4x4 in Chelmsford? If so, never used them but they have a very good rep locally and peddle much blingtastic machinery in these parts. :cool:

And I can only comment on your original question 5........you will have to look at whatever you buy so make sure that you can live with it's aesthetics. The original Q7 wasn't Audi's finest piece of design......:booty::AR15firin:flowers1:

L3nnox
06-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Is that Saxtons 4x4 in Chelmsford? If so, never used them but they have a very good rep locally and peddle much blingtastic machinery in these parts. :cool:

And I can only comment on your original question 5........you will have to look at whatever you buy so make sure that you can live with it's aesthetics. The original Q7 wasn't Audi's finest piece of design......:booty::AR15firin:flowers1:

Yes it is and I found a few bad reviews and disgruntled customers..

108 SAXTON 4X4 complaints and reviews @ ****** Consumer (http://saxton-4x4.pissedconsumer.com/)
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Saxtons-4x4/165339446827209
dont buy from saxtons 4x4 - Google Search (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dont+buy+from+saxtons+4x4&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB673GB673&oq=dont+buy+from+saxtons+4x4&aqs=chrome..69i57.10200j0j4&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&hl=en-GB&q=saxtons+4x4&istate=kp:xpd&lrd=0x47d8ea35415e57e5:0x7e57fe63b0643fd,1),,

Not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle especially as I'm in Glasgow.

I like the look of it, bit of a whale but that's what the family needs.

EssexGonzo
06-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Yes it is and I found a few bad reviews and disgruntled customers..

108 SAXTON 4X4 complaints and reviews @ ****** Consumer (http://saxton-4x4.pissedconsumer.com/)
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Saxtons-4x4/165339446827209
dont buy from saxtons 4x4 - Google Search (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dont+buy+from+saxtons+4x4&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB673GB673&oq=dont+buy+from+saxtons+4x4&aqs=chrome..69i57.10200j0j4&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&hl=en-GB&q=saxtons+4x4&istate=kp:xpd&lrd=0x47d8ea35415e57e5:0x7e57fe63b0643fd,1),,

Not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle especially as I'm in Glasgow.

I like the look of it, bit of a whale but that's what the family needs.

Fair points. Many seem to be long distance / remote purchases without having viewed the car beforehand. And if you're in Glasgow and looking to spend £30k+ then you'd really want to see it and the people you're buying from before committing.

I personally wouldn't use them.....a) I don't want a 4x4 and b) I wouldn't spend that much money away from the franchise without national back-up.

And it's a bit of an elephant, not a whale.. :rolleyes::biglaugh:

NickTyler
06-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Saxtons seem to have gone down the route of buying them cheap (probably at auction) stacking them high and selling them quick. I have been there a few times but never bought. They seem to have a very high turnover and sell a lot of cars at a big discount compared to dealers. They would not be in business if every car and customer's experience was bad. Having said that with that strategy they can't all be good either.

We understand better then most that people hit the internet to complain about problems way more then they would to say "i'm ok, nothing to see here" but at the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice. this applies to any dealer/trader.

It is just a bit of a gamble between paying more and having the 'main dealer back up' which might be poo anyway, or paying less and potentially having more problems.

L3nnox
15-04-2016, 04:26 AM
Right looking at a few local cars but they are the £500 a year tax, I assume those with cheaper tax are AdBlue cars??

Also one of the cars doesn't have Bose, Q7Newbie, I know you said it was a must but are std speakers and a dvd sat nav complete junk??

Also, White or grey??

Gyro
15-04-2016, 10:49 AM
I had a 2011 S Line 3.0 TDI, great car. I went in for a look and walked out having bought the Q7 they had in the showroom, so not sure what came as standard, but it had Bose and it was fantastic - best stereo I've had in a car. Heated seats were good, satnav was standard I think, and the hard drive was good (20 GB?) for storing music - again, not sure if standard as it may have came as part of the Bose package. I would probably have had a few more options if I'd specced it myself - I think the 21" and running boards make the car look so much better, I think if you go for the "S Line plus", these are standard?

Not sure of the 2012 update, but may be worth the extra for resale value, and you may get a decent deal given that the new model Q7 has been out for over a year now.

I think I got about 16,000 miles off my first set of tyres and, that's with a heavy right foot. I can't remember 100% what tyres they came with, but I think it was Pirelli Pzero Rosso on 20" wheels. I was quite concerned as I'd read about pre-facelift Q7s needing new tyres after 4,000 miles!

The following is just my opinion, but I would not get an X5. I traded my Q7 in for a current model X5 on 20" wheels, and the ride is utterly, utterly dreadful on the runflats with the M Sport suspension. May ease up a bit if you don't go for the M Sport suspension, but I think BMW will tear up your warranty if you change out to non-run flats. Also I am on my third set of wheels under warranty as they corrode like nobody's business. Customer service is appalling across the board - not a patch on Audi's. I've regretted the X5 since I bought it, but I put a grand deposit down last week on a forward order of an SQ7 - can't wait to get back to Audi.

My local dealer (Edinburgh Audi) are running a "Q event" until 18 April - not sure if it's at all dealers, but may be worth popping along to see if they've doing any special deals that ould of interest to you?

Gyro
15-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Right looking at a few local cars but they are the £500 a year tax, I assume those with cheaper tax are AdBlue cars??

Also one of the cars doesn't have Bose, Q7Newbie, I know you said it was a must but are std speakers and a dvd sat nav complete junk??

Also, White or grey??

I was only £250 or thereabout for my 3.0 TDI, is the £500 not a 4.2 TDI? I'm not sure if any mk 1 Q7s came with an ad blue tank as I think it is only required for EU6 compliance, which came in in September 2015? In any case I think ad blue is only for reducing NOx emissions, not CO2? Happy to be corrected on all of this by someone more knowledgeable...

Q7newbie
15-04-2016, 03:00 PM
No ad blue on the 1st Gen. And Byron's right on the tax brackets too. £500 is the 4.2.
And as for the sound system, I guess the truth is: it's subjective and personal. But if we're being honest, the standard audi sound system is rubbish. It's not bad on the smaller cars, but in the big Q7, the acoustic and Soundstage development is just horrid. No bass, the speakers always sound like the cars panelling is damaged. Not enough channels, so if you ever listen to multi instrument types of music, you lose so much detail.

L3nnox
16-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Cool cheers guys. It's Stirling I'm speaking too do will see what they come up with. Technically don't need the car till June so got a bit of time to find the right car.

L3nnox
30-04-2016, 04:12 AM
Well Audi Stirling were a complete waste of space. No deals to be done so I reverted back to type and bought my 2nd 535d touring (3rd 35d). Far better for the 1500mile summer round trip!

Might look at a Disco for her in doors towards winter....