PDA

View Full Version : Android Auto Q7 Videos

andyhud007
30-03-2016, 05:00 PM
If your interested

I'm sure this could be retrofitted to those that dont have it yet (pre-MY 2017 I guess). Its certainly something I'll try to do.

Audi Q7 Tutorial - How to set up Android Auto - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPcQXSqoAvw)

Android Auto: On the 2017 Audi Q7 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQrk22glw0)

JMB7
31-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Alot of people were miffed,myself included,that smartphone interface wasn't in the options list for a long time on q7 orders so its was presumed to be standard. Orders started to arrive and it was found not to be standard.
Italy also seemed it couldn't be added via software and apparently needed factory fitted hardware. There was someone who said a retrofit would eventually be available but no official word from Audi as farm as I'm aware.

Big original thread here
Apple CarPlay (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/169045-Apple-CarPlay)

andyhud007
31-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the link JMB7, just read the last few pages and can see Nemo was a heavy part of the convo's

In my opinion ,and from experience, things can be retrofitted to Audi's if you can source the parts and have the time/skill (or someone else to do it) and the changes dont involve "calling home" to Audi HQ (like configuring new keys)

I can't believe its a lot of hardware, maybe 1 box or 2 into the wiring looms (assuming the looms have the right connectors) and some coding changes. I think once the USA start to get their hands into the MY17 Q7 and Ross-Tech start to work their magic in decoding the brains we will see the coding options appear.

I'm miffed its not there either, but I'm going to be retrofitting Audi Side Assist which can be done so I'm hoping the same theory will apply to the SmartPhone Interface.

The smartphone interface is definitely on the Configurator now.

JMB7
31-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Yup hope you manage to sort it.
I have it specced on the replacement Q7 that's on order but it definitely wasn't in the configutator when I first ordered mine last year. Sepang blue was also audi exclusive and over £2000.

Papereyes
31-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Just pulled the trigger, on the audi is this an option I should get? Got confused between this and the Audi connect online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q7newbie
31-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Yup hope you manage to sort it.
I have it specced on the replacement Q7 that's on order but it definitely wasn't in the configutator when I first ordered mine last year. Sepang blue was also audi exclusive and over £2000.
How come your 1st 4M Q7 went back?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

JMB7
31-03-2016, 10:47 PM
How come your 1st 4M Q7 went back?

Main issue was the sat nav slowly losing position and the position shown on screen would be way behind the actual position. Eventually it would get so lost it would have my location shown in a field miles away. They replaced the whole mmi control unit and it was at the dealers for over two months whilst they waited on a fix.
Speed limit warning was also in kmph and would never save or actually activate when the limit was reached.

Regarding the smartphone interface, I think at the moment the functionality is quite limited but as apple opens up more features and more developers produce apps for both iOS and Android it could become very useful. Personally I'd like a speed camera database and warning app. You can add icons to the current map to show locations but no audible warnings.

dghdgh
01-04-2016, 01:18 AM
I still wonder on what happens to the cars rejected under consumer law?

Q7newbie
01-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Main issue was the sat nav slowly losing position and the position shown on screen would be way behind the actual position. Eventually it would get so lost it would have my location shown in a field miles away. They replaced the whole mmi control unit and it was at the dealers for over two months whilst they waited on a fix.
Speed limit warning was also in kmph and would never save or actually activate when the limit was reached.

Regarding the smartphone interface, I think at the moment the functionality is quite limited but as apple opens up more features and more developers produce apps for both iOS and Android it could become very useful. Personally I'd like a speed camera database and warning app. You can add icons to the current map to show locations but no audible warnings.
Wow. You really got that one bad apple huh! Your bad luck seems almost as bad as mine!
When is your replacement due? Did the dealer offer you any goodwill?

Bathurst
04-04-2016, 11:08 AM
hey andyhud007, have you got android auto on your q7 and is it worth it or do you think its still too basic and one should wait till the next version of it?

Does it offer you substantially more than Audi Connect at present?

my dealer has given me the option to spec it if i want to.

thanks.
T.

andyhud007
04-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Bathurst

No I dont have it actually, but I do have Audi Connect and I've signed upto Napster and Aupeo! which are built into the MMI and work well for controlling them through the MMI from a music perspective. I have the news feeds, weather, flight, train info etc all working and my calendar (which is actually most important for me) displaying in MMI also.

I would look to retrofit the Audi Smartphone Interface it to my car if I can figure out how but it isnt number one on my list.

Its quite cheap to add (£350?) compared to the overall cost of the car and may bring you some value-add but its really a personal preference.

Only apps that support Android Auto will work in the MMI and I'm sure there is a list online to see if there is something useful.

Hope that helps

Andy

Papereyes
04-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I added this but wondered what's the benefit of Audi connect vs the Audi smartphone interface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyhud007
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Audi Connect is Audi's proprietary service that connects to online services (like google maps/traffic/twitter/news/weather etc etc) as well as allowing you to use Napster and Aupeo! directly within the MMI interface if you use Napster for example at home or on your mobile already

Audi SmartPhone interface allows connection to your phone (Android or IOS) using Googles "Android Auto" or Apples "CarPlay" service which basically allows your phone content to be displayed directly in the MMI. Your MMI basically becomes and Android screen or an IOS screen with certain apps, functions, voice control in addition being available you would normally use on your phone.

Look at the links I posted above and it should make things a littler clearer

Cheers

Andy

Bathurst
06-04-2016, 03:29 PM
I've been looking at reviews of Android Auto and I cannot really see any 'killer' reason to go for it at present, its pretty basic in what it offers currently. Hopefully it will grow in time but it does the same things as Audi connect but I think Audi connect does more currently. The Q7 comes with Sat Nav as standard and voice communication, I am unsure with Audi Connect / Android Auto whether you can transfer google maps from the built in screen to the virtual cockpit as you can with the Audi standard nav system. Android Auto/Apple Car play looks like a gimmick at present. If I could see some potential / roadmap of apps coming then perhaps its worth the investment. Only saving grace of Android Auto over Audi Connect is its a one off £350 cost as opposed to a 3 year subscription at the same price for Audi Connect.

Here is an american review of the Q7 MMI, interesting read which touches on both systems.

Audi MMI (2016) Review & Rating | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2458029,00.asp)

Android Auto, not 100% convinced yet.

andyhud007
06-04-2016, 03:33 PM
I am unsure with Audi Connect / Android Auto whether you can transfer google maps from the build in screen to the virtual cockpit as you can with the Audi standard nav system.

You can get Google Maps on the normal Sat Nav already (along with traffic etc). Anything on the main screen you get on the Audi Virtual Cockpit. And the Audi VC can display google maps too.

Is that what you mean?

Andy

Bathurst
06-04-2016, 03:37 PM
yes Andy, but is that using Audi standard built in sat nav software or audi connect google maps (or do they offer the same thing?). So if you don't extend the audi connect trial do you still get google maps? What is the standard nav offering from Audi?

I guess I am am really questioning why you need to pay for audi connect or android auto as most of the main functions are covered by audi standard equipment. Its seems like you if get both connect and auto you've got 3 ways of doing similar things, i.e nav

srbsq7
06-04-2016, 03:46 PM
I think the google maps requires online connectivity. I've managed to get access to the US manual by entering a VIN kindly published online by a US Audi dealer?! (AudiBend.com)

Audi Online Owner's Manual (http://ownersmanual.audiusa.com/#)

WA1VAAF76HD009488

andyhud007
06-04-2016, 03:48 PM
You get to have your Sat Nav "view" in Standard Sat Nav view or Google Maps view. But yes, you only get Google Maps choice if you have Audi Connect and a data connection (to pull down the Google maps data obviously).

I could just take the sim card out my car and see if google maps stops working, probably the easiest way to prove it!

The standard Nav offering is 7 digit postcode and TMC (Traffic Message Channel) but google traffic is more accurate IMO.

Yeah your right, if you have android auto and use it for sat nav, all its doing is using google maps on your phone and displaying it on the MMI screen. If you have audi connect and a data connection you have the same thing. Correct.

Q7newbie
06-04-2016, 07:18 PM
There was another monster thread on this late last year and earlier this year.
Guys were really getting pink about not having CarPlay.

I have to agree (and I've been saying this for a while) , that in its current guise Android Auto /CarPlay are crap. Redundant, premature and borderline useless. It's innovation for the sake of it. In the current guise of MMI, and a cheap data Sim, there is literally no reason for either software! They don't add to the driver/driving experience. How is having WhatsApp available on MMI so great? Or vital? Aren't such things more a danger and distraction?
Some say: music streaming!
Well I say if you're a true lover of music while you drive, why would you want to listen to it via an inconsistent data connection? Why not either use a hardwired connection (ipod etc) or import it on the MMI hard drive?
Dictate or have texts read to you? If something is so crucial, wouldn't you just make a phone call?
Maybe I'm just a cynic. I love technology and innovation, but I loathe it when it's done just for the sake of it.

srbsq7
06-04-2016, 07:53 PM
I think having access to Apple Music is useful - I subscribe so having one music collection is quite handy. I tend to store regular albums for offline use.

andyhud007
06-04-2016, 08:01 PM
I agree with most your comments Q7newbie. Whatsapp will driving is not important. Eyes on the road are.

Even Audi Connect lets you setup Twitter feeds (I've tried, it works, but pointless) and you can dictate and reply to them.. why would you while driving I dont know and if your in your car and not driving and parked up, you are probably using your phone!

I have an Android phone, and I dont have Android Auto but I dont think I need it. I have a napster account and I'm logged into that in my Audi MMI app on the phone. I can browse my Napster account/collection directly in the MMI. My music I like a lot is uploaded into the jukebox on the built-in Hard drive.

I wouldnt need Google Maps via Android Auto as the Audi Sat Nav is more than capable and pulls traffic data from google maps anyway. I look my directions up on the PC and send them to my car. I get in, and they are already plumbed in and ready to go.

I use the SIM connection for google maps (and traffic) and the wifi hotspot for anyone in the car. Its an EE 4G Sim at £10 a month for about 5GB data per month. Works for me.

Q7newbie
06-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I agree with most your comments Q7newbie. Whatsapp will driving is not important. Eyes on the road are.

Even Audi Connect lets you setup Twitter feeds (I've tried, it works, but pointless) and you can dictate and reply to them.. why would you while driving I dont know and if your in your car and not driving and parked up, you are probably using your phone!

I have an Android phone, and I dont have Android Auto but I dont think I need it. I have a napster account and I'm logged into that in my Audi MMI app on the phone. I can browse my Napster account/collection directly in the MMI. My music I like a lot is uploaded into the jukebox on the built-in Hard drive.

I wouldnt need Google Maps via Android Auto as the Audi Sat Nav is more than capable and pulls traffic data from google maps anyway. I look my directions up on the PC and send them to my car. I get in, and they are already plumbed in and ready to go.

I use the SIM connection for google maps (and traffic) and the wifi hotspot for anyone in the car. Its an EE 4G Sim at £10 a month for about 5GB data per month. Works for me.
You= Preacher
Me= Choir Master!!!.

Alot of CarPlay/ Android Auto famboys see to try justify their NEED for this festive based on the illusion of service amazing future improvements and apps that will be added to it. *rolls eyes*...
I scroll through all the apps on my phone, and I can't see a single one that when I'm driving I miss or feel my driving or car ownership experience would gain from.
I can't imagine what apps will be invented that are so amazing that I'll have use of on my phone, that I'll also feel I NEED access to in my car while I drive!

Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing Audi invest into developing apps for MMI that could improve the entire car experience. Such as:
Netflix/video storage on MMI disk for cars with rear seat entertainment packs?
Heart rate monitor in the steering wheel?
Retinal scanner in the windscreen to monitor driver alertness and fatigue levels?
Lol.

JMB7
06-04-2016, 10:29 PM
There are fanboys? Not actually seen anyone who has it yet!
I think most of the annoyance in the "monster" thread was due to the fact that all the reviews and preview spec Q7's had carplay / android auto which lead people to believe it was standard, especially since the option to specify it wasn't in the early configutator. Then when people started receiving their cars it became apparent this wasn't the case.

Personally I'm quite happy to have it on the car that's on it's way. If any app developers are reading I'd like an app that shows a visual and audible alert for speed camera locations please!

Q7newbie
06-04-2016, 11:25 PM
That's true. Alot of the angst was with the poor manner in which Audi UK purported the facility.

I like the sound of that app! But then again, like I said, why can't audi just have that app integrated into the Satnav (as an option available to those using Googleaps and Audi connect!). No need for it to be available viaobile phone....😉

JMB7
07-04-2016, 07:23 AM
I think it would be preferable if Audi included it in their software.

One of the complaints I'd heard about carplay / android auto is that it takes a few moments to load up and whilst it's running you don't have access to any of the standard mmi functions unless you exit out of carplay, which again isn't instant. This is all just third hand though as I haven't seen it in action yet myself.

andyhud007
07-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Yup, and to be fair I thought it was in my car too and it wasnt. I could kick up a stink and start waving 'Consumer Rights Act' words in front of my dealer, but honestly, I can't be bothered.

I have it for 3 years, so after 2 years I'll look to swap it (probably for the current Q7 at that time) which no doubt will have it and be more mature anyway.

I've got bigger fish to fry in my life than Android Auto in my car.

t1sh
07-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Totally agree with you, Andy! I thought I would need Apple CarPlay however leaving it off isn't such a bad idea. :)
I will have the car for 3 years as well. Swap get after 2 years isn't so bad though.

anemeth
07-04-2016, 02:09 PM
As I am planning to buy the car for 12 years, for me it is important that I will have an independent system (Android Auto) where I can install any app independent of Audi. I do not like the "walled garden", thus I will never by an iPhone.

Bathurst
11-04-2016, 02:40 PM
OK well I've taken a bit of a punt, not 100% convinced on AA but reckon it will grow rapidly so just added it to my spec list....here goes nothing ;-)

List of compatible apps, not sure how many will make it to the UK market.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all

Bathurst
21-04-2016, 01:20 PM
some useful tips/info from the US Q7 forum on AA.

Thoughts on Android Auto - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/thoughts-android-auto-2899342/)

JMB7
21-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Cheers Bathurst.
Regarding one of the points, does the android system not have a voice activate command similar to the Ios 'hey Siri' As when I hold down the voice command button on wheel and say hey siri it allows me to control phone functions rather than standard mmi voice controls. Im hoping it will work the same when replacement with smartphone interface arrives.

(Nemo tried to message you but inbox is full)

Bathurst
21-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Yes you say "OK Google" on Android....

Nemo78
21-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Cheers Bathurst.
Regarding one of the points, does the android system not have a voice activate command similar to the Ios 'hey Siri' As when I hold down the voice command button on wheel and say hey siri it allows me to control phone functions rather than standard mmi voice controls. Im hoping it will work the same when replacement with smartphone interface arrives.

(Nemo tried to message you but inbox is full)

Realise this is the AA thread and not CarPlay but CarPlay when connected up does full voice control from who you want to call / text etc and so far has been spot on everytime