PDA

View Full Version : golf mk3 tdi os front knock

robert1z
13-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello. :Blush:I have a very annoying knock coming from my golf. I decided to replace some parts and have replaced:

I have replaced both suspension struts ,both ball joints and both track rod ends. I have also replaced ns wishbone but left the driver side one as looked ok. The noise is still there! It seems to get worse as I get faster and isn't a low hum like a wheel bearing?

There is a small amount of play on the wheel, more thant the other side but very little. Drive shaft seems solid enough and it went straight through mot last week with an advisory on rear wheel bearings but noise definatley coming from front.

Can anyone suggest some tests I can do? It's doing my head in a bit:confused:

robert1z
15-10-2007, 04:22 PM
The knocking sound seems to be getting worse:(
It gets worse when the car is under throttle and is quite a fast knocking sounds. It also makes a noise first thing when I turn the wheel. It feels like it might be coming from drivehsaft area. Can someone tell me what the symptoms are for a worn driveshaft of CV joint! I don't want to replace anything unnecessarily

Any help greatly appreciated:Blush:

robert1z
17-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Well after pulling the driver side brake caliper off and unloosening the hub nut and repacking the cv boot (which looked ok) the car was still knocking. I checked all bushes and then jacked up the passenger side to find the the wheel loose:( I tightened the hub nut up as much as I could but there is a fair bit play so it looks like I need a new outer cv joint fot PASSENGER side:Blush2:

I'm going to do it tonight. Can anyone give me any helpful advice? I'm going to remove the caliper, the disk and take hub nut off, I shall remove the suspension strut bolts at the bottom. Do I need to take off ball joint and track rod? I hope not as I've just replaced them!

Crasher
17-10-2007, 01:29 PM
If you have had to tighten up the 30-mm centre hub nut, which is a wheel bearing problem, not a CV although the noise you describe sounds like a CV joint but possibly an inner joint if it does it in a straight line.

robert1z
17-10-2007, 04:36 PM
If you have had to tighten up the 30-mm centre hub nut, which is a wheel bearing problem, not a CV although the noise you describe sounds like a CV joint but possibly an inner joint if it does it in a straight line.

Cheers for the reply:Blush:

It does nock round corners more today. There is a fair bit of play in the end of the wheel. If the car is jacked up and I grab the outsied of the drive shaft I can move it a bit so that it wobbles in the CV area. Do you reckon It could be the bearing instead? It is knocking quite badly going into right corners now

Crasher
17-10-2007, 05:40 PM
If there is play it could be the wheel bearing on the lower ball joint. Grab the wheel top and bottom to check for play and if it is the same as grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock then it should be the bearing. If there is only play side to side with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and it is knocking, that will be ball joint or track rod/end.

robert1z
17-10-2007, 06:09 PM
If there is play it could be the wheel bearing on the lower ball joint. Grab the wheel top and bottom to check for play and if it is the same as grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock then it should be the bearing. If there is only play side to side with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and it is knocking, that will be ball joint or track rod/end.

I have just removed the wheel amd caliper and can move the front of the hub in a circular motion i.e all directions. I have brand new ball joints and track rods on both sides. Does this mean the bearing then or could it be thecv joint has collapsed??

Many Thanks!

Crasher
17-10-2007, 09:17 PM
That’s the wheel bearing. When you were working on it, did you put the car on the ground without the CV inside the wheel bearing and tightened up?

robert1z
18-10-2007, 05:29 PM
That’s the wheel bearing. When you were working on it, did you put the car on the ground without the CV inside the wheel bearing and tightened up?

Hi.
CV has always been in the wheel bearing when I tightened it up.
I'm pleased you have been able to confirm its a wheel bearing. That is very useful. Cheers.

I'm a bit wary of taking off my new ball joint with my splitter, its like a fork and you wedge it in. Anyone know how tough the ball joints are?:confused:

I don't want to wreck it.

Thanks again

Crasher
18-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Why do you need a splitter? Only 5 stud cars have that design of ball joint. It is held in with an M10 pinch bolt. To make your life easier, mark the position of the three ball joint to wishbone bolts and remove them, then the ball joint will slide out.

robert1z
19-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Why do you need a splitter? Only 5 stud cars have that design of ball joint. It is held in with an M10 pinch bolt. To make your life easier, mark the position of the three ball joint to wishbone bolts and remove them, then the ball joint will slide out.

Sorry:Blush2: I meant track rod, not ball joint.
I tried jacking it up after taking the nut off to avoid bashing it up or using the splitter but am worried about splitting the rubber and generally beating it too much. Any tips anyone??

Crasher
19-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Even a quality Klann splitter may burst the boot. You could try hitting the outside of the location with a hammer whist applying a little pressure with the splitter.