PDA

View Full Version : Tracker + Fuel Pump

andyhud007
29-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Guys

I'm looking into a tracker (reasons irrelevant) but one option is to hook into the fuel pump circuit so it can cut and the car will supposedly roll to a stop (again, not here to discuss safety concerns etc about this).

My real question is as I'm not a car mechanic, is if the fuel pump is cut, what damage, if any, does that do to the engine.. especially in a new Q7 for example with all its hi-tech gadgetry

Any ideas?

Cheers

EDIT: Found this, not sure if same applies: http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/members/forums/index.php?showtopic=3308

Q7newbie
16-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Just came across this post Andy, I did you every bite the bullet on it? Sounds a very good form of immobilisation.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

andyhud007
16-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Hi mate,

Not yet. I plan to do it in the next few weeks when I tear the car apart for other stuff. I'm just clarifying the fuel pump wiring before doing any work. I can keep you posted if you wish

Andy

Q7newbie
17-07-2016, 04:58 AM
That would be good. I'm always eager to keep informed of any good additions or modifications.

Are you planning on doing it by yourself I get?

andyhud007
17-07-2016, 09:40 AM
That would be good. I'm always eager to keep informed of any good additions or modifications.

Are you planning on doing it by yourself I get?

Will do it myself. Just working out the wiring. There are 2 fuels pumps in the car (high and low pressure ones) so may not be the right route... I'll keep you posted via this thread.

wee_gua
21-07-2016, 01:43 AM
I can't see it being a problem as all it is going to do is cut the fuel supply, would be the same as running out of diesel, the only thing to ensure is to have your fuel filter regularly changed, maybe also an option for going for a higher grade filter to reduce the amount of microns (crap) getting through the filter. Other than that I would imagine the car would be self bleeding so upon recovery, you would just reset the tracker / immobiliser and keep cranking the engine till it starts possibly 30-90 seconds

andyhud007
27-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks for info on this Wee_Qua..... I'm still looking into what system I can splice into.... I have the car apart for other stuff at the moment so makes sense to try do it now

Cheers

Andy

wee_gua
27-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks for info on this Wee_Qua..... I'm still looking into what system I can splice into.... I have the car apart for other stuff at the moment so makes sense to try do it now

Cheers

Andy

I am Not sure how the Audi works but in the past I've spliced into the actual fuel stop solenoid then adding a hidden switch along with in line fuse and relay, this was always done on Plant machines and HGVs never done it to a car or anything like that.
When leaving the car you pressed the button and When trying to start it would engage the stop solenoid this not allowing the engine to start, press the button when entering the car and away you go 👍
Just an idea but I'm not sure how the system works on the q7