PDA

View Full Version : Power down - help!

zedmeister
13-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi there,
I have a MK3 Golf 1.8 driver with the ABS engine. Its my wife's car so I don't drive it much. I drove it recently and it seems really down on power - when you try and accelerate hard, the trottle response is very jerky (is that what they call misfiring?) - a few months back I had the distributor changed on it - could that be the problem? It was the whole distributor - does it need tuning or something?
Thanks for any help & advice!

zedmeister
16-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Anyone?

zedmeister
04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
bump

tombradbury
04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
well im not expert, but my VW was misfiring a while back due to one of the HT leads failing.

its worth getting them checked out, cost around 40 quid for a new set

zedmeister
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for that - I'll check them out. I had a word with someone yesterday and they said that it is misfiring under load, as it seems to rev okay when standing still. Any other ideas?

Dollso
06-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Download the Vag-Com program and buy a cable from ebay, found the fault with mine in 5 mins. cable is £15 and program is free (shareware) but not the full program, if you use torrents you can get full version. Best £15 i ever spent.. plug cable into car, other end to laptop and Vag-com tells you whats going wrong in mins. Also get Elsawin program and with both tools you can narrow down and fix almost anything

zedmeister
06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Download the Vag-Com program and buy a cable from ebay, found the fault with mine in 5 mins. cable is £15 and program is free (shareware) but not the full program, if you use torrents you can get full version. Best £15 i ever spent.. plug cable into car, other end to laptop and Vag-com tells you whats going wrong in mins. Also get Elsawin program and with both tools you can narrow down and fix almost anything
Thanks! sounds really useful - I'll try that.

zedmeister
08-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Seems to be getting better the more I drive the car - I think it may be a dirty injector - I had the Tesco petrol problem and although work was carried out, I do not know if they cleaned the injectors. Hopefully it will improve.