PDA

View Full Version : Performance air filter/cleaner

kiwibeef
13-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I've fitted a K&N panel air filter now mechanics are telling me i should have 'cause the oil from the filter stuffs the mass air flow meter, has anyone experenced problems?

devonutopia
13-10-2007, 10:37 AM
K&N are notorious for this. I run a green cotton panel filter in my airbox, and have had no MAF trouble at all - for about 50,000 miles. I believe K&N are over oiled, whereas green filters only get a slight covering - You need to be careful not to overoil when cleaning.

Dave Avant
15-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes it is true that the oil on the filter can stuff the Maf sensor, but them some ppl just clean the Maf if the oil gets on the MAf.

I also have a K&N panel filter and before I fitted it, I gave it a quick wash in warm water to remove the 'excess' oil - there was loads of oil that came off the filter and the filter was still 'oiled' after the wash. I've had mine on for a year now with no probs.

Marco34
16-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Have any of you guys noticed any difference with the K&N and green filters??

Dave Avant
16-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Have any of you guys noticed any difference with the K&N and green filters??

To be honest, not really, but then again I put it on not long after I bought the car and gave it a service, so haven't had a good comparison with and without.

RickT
26-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Its a know fact in the VAG range that the oil on the K&N does mess up the mafs..

There are a few thread's in this section regarding it... have a quick search..

The "MAF's" dont tend to last long enough as it is.... The stock filter can be good upto around 250bhp depending on which engine

Rick