PDA

View Full Version : What's that button there do?

Schmy
23-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Alright John got a new motor?

My Avant Ultra was delivered today. I noticed a keypad next to the gear lever with numbers 1-8. It's obviously not for the phone unless you never call anyone with a 9 or 0.

When you press them it says something like "this button not active" on the screen. Any idea what they're for? Don't make me read the manual.

xtremist
23-03-2016, 10:09 PM
It's the radio presets. Tune into your favourite radio station, then press and hold and it'll store the station.

I think it works for the phone as well, but I've not tried that as yet.

Vizen2
24-03-2016, 12:01 AM
They are pre-sets, I have mine set for phone numbers, but you can set them for radio saptations. Display the phone number / radio station on the main screen and press and hold the button to store the item, might work for a sat nave address too, but I've not tried that

Schmy
24-03-2016, 09:25 AM
They are pre-sets, I have mine set for phone numbers, but you can set them for radio saptations. Display the phone number / radio station on the main screen and press and hold the button to store the item, might work for a sat nave address too, but I've not tried that
Any idea whether it works with the telephone numbers in CarPlay or just via the BT connection?

It's annoying that the car won't do both connections because I'm used to calling from the steering wheel but I'll be using Spotify etc. within CP.

xtremist
24-03-2016, 09:53 AM
From what I can work out, it's either CarPlay or the Audi MMI interface for phone use. CarPlay doesn't need bluetooth to be on.

It is a bit frustrating when you need to switch between the 2. Must admit, I'm tempted to disable CarPlay on my phone as I don't think it adds that much to the user experience. I use Napster, and that's available through the Audi MMI (however, you do need to have the app open on your phone).

ILikeJam
24-03-2016, 02:11 PM
On my current BMW you can set the shortcut keys to do anything in the iDrive menu - show tyres pressures, turn the display off etc. Just navigate to the option you want, hover over it and hold down the shortcut button and it will assign that command to the shortcut.

Not sure if the B9 does the same?

JB72
24-03-2016, 03:30 PM
On my current BMW you can set the shortcut keys to do anything in the iDrive menu - show tyres pressures, turn the display off etc. Just navigate to the option you want, hover over it and hold down the shortcut button and it will assign that command to the shortcut.

Can the * button on the steering wheel not be assigned to any function? Thought it could but maybe wrong?

Vizen2
24-03-2016, 06:58 PM
I agree, not sure what CarPlay adds, it disables the MMI phone system, including the preset buttons, the display is, imo, low quality, and to get back to it from another function you need to go through the main menu system. Told my iphone to for my car yesterday but it still connected automatically when I plugged into the USB port, do I'm currently using the rear 12v socket to charge the phone.

Schmy
30-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Unfortunately not, just radio. A shame as adding things like nav shortcuts or music playlists would be quite useful.

Regarding CarPlay I found a problem this morning when listening to a podcast. The podcast ended and I tried to play something on Spotify but it wouldn't select anything from the menu and just kept playing the podcast.

Another problem I've found is with the Audi Connect. It doesn't (seem to) automatically use the phone's connection and keeps demanding I put a SIM in the slot, something I'll never be doing.

xtremist
30-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately not, just radio. A shame as adding things like nav shortcuts or music playlists would be quite useful.

I have managed to assign a phone number, location and radio station. You need to have the relevant screen on the MMI, then press and hold the numbered button.

Another problem I've found is with the Audi Connect. It doesn't (seem to) automatically use the phone's connection and keeps demanding I put a SIM in the slot, something I'll never be doing.
Agree, 100%. I wish there was a way to disable the message.

MJC_OK
04-04-2016, 08:22 PM
You all seem hesitant to use one of the best features of CarPlay; Siri - just hold the speech button and tell it who to call :) I've found it absolutely flawless for searching for people to call, songs to play and sending messages. That is of course when CarPlay launches without me faffing!

Schmy
04-04-2016, 08:27 PM
I have managed to assign a phone number, location and radio station. You need to have the relevant screen on the MMI, then press and hold the numbered button.
I tried to do this for the home location but it said that wasn't available. How did you do it for the location?

Schmy
04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
You all seem hesitant to use one of the best features of CarPlay; Siri - just hold the speech button and tell it who to call :) I've found it absolutely flawless for searching for people to call, songs to play and sending messages. That is of course when CarPlay launches without me faffing!
Siri does seem to work well for calling. Haven't tried it for music. Any idea if it works with Spotify or podcasts?

Another minor CarPlay gripe I have is if you receive a call/text whilst listening to a podcast you have to go back into the menu to find the one you were listening to. It doesn't automatically play from where you left off like it does for a song.

MJC_OK
04-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Haven't tried Spotify I'm afraid, I'm an Apple Music user - worth switching imo, the CarPlay integration of it is excellent.

Not sure about the podcast thing, can't say I've noticed. Is it any easier to go to the Now Playing icon, perhaps miss a menu out?

One thing I did find annoying when using the MMI (the two times I tried it) is it seems to have removed the Functions menu, so I can't play/pause/skip - unless it's hidden in a blooming submenu

Also, while I'm on a roll, what's the difference between 'Favourite' radio stations and the stored stations? I used to like having the 'Memory' list on screen now I have to recall which buttons I stored the station to (or slide my fingers over them)