PDA

View Full Version : My review of the 2.0 TDI 150 PS Ultra Sport

xtremist
22-03-2016, 09:44 AM
So after 3 weeks of owning my new Audi, I thought I’d give you my thoughts on it.

Specification

Audi A4 Saloon Sport ultra. 2.0 TDI 150PS s-tronic
Glacier white (2Y2Y)
Alcantara/leather (N7U)
Interior Trim Black/grey (YM)
55 litre fuel tank (0M1)
25 litre ad blue tank (FK2)
Deletion of model and engine tech design (2Z0)
Registered 1st March 2016

As this is a company car, I couldn’t chose any additional optional extras except for non-cost options. Our fleet provider had already pre-selected the leather seats.

I’ve previously owned an A4 (B8) Sline Avant with the 140 PS engine and have just come from a Vauxhall Insignia (which was woeful).

My daily commute is about 70 – 80 minutes each way (53 miles) with a split between motorway cruising and B roads. I drive about 30k miles a year and have driven approx. 1700 miles in 3 weeks of ownership

Driving position

The cabin (from a driving perspective) is well thought out and ergonomic. Passengers also find the separate volume control near the electronic handbrake useful as well. I find the seats comfortable and supportive, if I’d have had the choice, I would of chosen the lumbar support, but the standard seat is more than adequate. I like where Audi have located the wing mirrors as it doesn’t obscure the view around the ‘A’ pillar. The MMI screen doesn’t obscure forward vision and I’ve not suffered from any sunlight reflecting on the screen so far.

Boot space

Space in the boot is good, however, this is the 1st saloon car I’ve owned, so I’m having to get used to not having the full hatchback opening. I did manage to get my road bike in the boot though (with the seats folded down) without any issues. But the true test will on the annual family holiday later in the year.

Fuel economy

The fuel economy is superb. I’m currently averaging 52.4mpg (based on my Fuelly log). I drive at motorway speed limit (give or take 5%) generally with the cruise control on and along A / B roads at the speed and enthusiastically if road conditions allow. I do occasionally go into Dynamic (Sport) mode on the gear change when I’m feeling like having a bit of fun.

I haven’t had to fill the ad-blue tank yet and I must admit I don’t know how much it uses, or how much is in the tank. A quick Google reveals consumption is circa 1.0 to 1.5l for every 620 miles (VW figures), so the 25 litre tank will probably need topping up before the cars 1st service at 19k.

Behind the wheel

With this being my 1st automatic, it’s taken me a while to get used to the speed you approach junctions / roundabouts. Having driven a manual for 99% of my driving history, I’ve been used to downshifting and using the engine brake to slow the car down, the automatic doesn’t do this as well. It took a few days to find the right setup for the car to match my style of driving (comfortable, economy, dynamic etc) and I’ve selected Individual !! (dynamic steering and auto gear selection). To begin with, I did find the steering a bit vague and that I remote from the car. I’ve got used to it now.
All of the controls are within fingertip reach, I’m used to the position of the cruise control ‘stalk’, but I must admit, I’d prefer it on the steering wheel.
The road / wind noise is very low.

Infotainment

It has taken a good bit of time to navigate my way around the infotainment, not 100% sure I’ve worked everything out though (music streaming still escapes me), but have found that I can use my Napster account through Audi Connect.
When listening to the radio, I don’t like the way the ‘radio text’ constantly updates and is like the old didiprinter on Teletext. I would prefer a fixed screen of what’s currently playing and that’s it (used to that in my previous Insignia and Qashqai).
I do get annoyed with the system telling me that I don’t have a data connection and to add a SIM, but I keep on pressing Accept or Cancel and it goes away. I use the data on my phone contract so tether my iPhone to the car via a USB/lightning cable.
Apple CarPlay is intuitive enough, however, I don’t use it much.
Audi Connect is similar, I have found out that I can get my calendar appointments on the MMI screen and the Nav will use the address within the appointment so you can get to your next appointment. However, I can’t seem to find it again…..

Things I do like

Lights on the exterior door handles
Coasting mode
Touch sensitive interior courtesy lights
Boot release on the driver’s door

Things I’m not so keen on

The Michelin Primacy tyres aren’t very good in standing water!
I find the automatic lights come on very early and I find myself having to increase the brightness on the map page so it isn’t completely black. It would be good if it was easy to toggle between daylight and night-time screen brightness.
The gearbox isn’t overly smooth at low speeds and stop/start situations.
The start/stop facility can come on very early, however, I’ve learnt that if you lightly press the brake pedal the engine doesn’t stop and if you press it firmly you can ‘force’ the engine to stop. This is useful when you are driving in start stop traffic.
I’ve had an issue with the MMI screen flickering when on the map page and during daylight, this has been looked at by Audi, but they don’t as yet have a solution to the problem. It also had a software update (96D5) when the MMI screen was being looked at.

Overall

I’m impressed with the car and if I was in the market to buy a similar sized car myself, it would be on the short list. I would probably opt for the 190 PS variant, as would prefer a bit more power when overtaking.

stevel1305
22-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the review, keep 'em coming. Just found out today that mine should be here delivered at end of May ��
Can you turn the start/stop control off so that the engine doesn't cut out when in the usual motorway snarl ups?

daniel241085
22-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Yes you can turn the start stop off with a button. I usually turn mine off as it can be a little annoying.

daniel241085
22-03-2016, 08:18 PM
On one of the dislikes you a mentioned the automatic lights coming on too soon, you can amend this by changing one of the settings in the Car menu on the MMI

xtremist
22-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Yes, I know I can change it, just never got around to doing it. Maybe I'll do it in the morning when I'm sat in the M25 car park :aargh4:

The Technician
23-03-2016, 09:22 AM
I saw my first new A4 on the road the other day and fell in love with the indicators has anyone else noticed that they do not blink they are like the Cylons eye from battle star galatica moving side ways :-)

JB72
23-03-2016, 10:21 AM
The "dynamic" indicators as Audi calls them are pretty cool - had to spec them as an option on mine as part of LED light package as I have the sport model, but think they are standard on Sline

TunedMassDamper
23-03-2016, 11:35 AM
The "dynamic" indicators as Audi calls them are pretty cool - had to spec them as an option on mine as part of LED light package as I have the sport model, but think they are standard on Sline

standard on the rear I think with the S-line but only on the front as well if you go for the matrix LEDs

ILikeJam
23-03-2016, 12:11 PM
standard on the rear I think with the S-line but only on the front as well if you go for the matrix LEDs

Yep - rears standard on S-line. SE / Sport spec has to spec the 'Standard' LED option to get them.

Fronts are part of the Matrix LED option.

JB72
23-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Yes think that's right Damper. Couldn't stretch to the Matrix option just went with the normal LED's which are so much better than what I had before on the B8. How do you find the Matrix?

TunedMassDamper
23-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Yes think that's right Damper. Couldn't stretch to the Matrix option just went with the normal LED's which are so much better than what I had before on the B8. How do you find the Matrix?

I don't :o my b9 doesn't arrive until end of next month and I've only got the standard LEDs on my current order. Like the idea of the matrix but don't do enough night time driving to really warrant the extra cost of them, also expect the basic LEDs to be a bit of an upgrade from my current xenons so unlikely to feel I'll be missing out on anything thankfully.

JB72
23-03-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't :o my b9 doesn't arrive until end of next month and I've only got the standard LEDs on my current order. Like the idea of the matrix but don't do enough night time driving to really warrant the extra cost of them, also expect the basic LEDs to be a bit of an upgrade from my current xenons so unlikely to feel I'll be missing out on anything thankfully.

Ah great minds think alike then :biglaugh: