PDA

View Full Version : Just Awsome

JB72
21-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

Just posting as picked up my new whip on Saturday A4 3.0TDI (218) Sport quattro and still have a huge grin on my face :D I do about 20k miles a year so comfort and tech really important to me and this is just awesome.
I had the A4 SE on the B8 platform before, with a 2.0l tdi Quattro which was fun, but this is something else. The 3L engine (218) is cracking (or will be when bedded in!) . Cabin is really quiet and sooo well made. Really 1st class. The tech is AWSOME - no issues with screens or Bluetooth as I had seen posted elsewhere so far. Virtual cockpit is great and HUD fantastic. As a little example of the tech, my Mrs got in the car on Sunday and the message appeared on Screen, Karen your iPhone is low on power, please connect to charge your phone. To me that's clever and useful as it was in her bag and it would of gone flat. It picked up the low battery through Bluetooth as her phone was connected via that. Only criticism would be that you can almost get info overload at busy junctions. I went for the sport model, and the seats are great, far better than before and the ride setup with the new suspension is way more settled and balanced than before. I also noticed this has come with Hankook boots on whereas before I am sure it came from the factory with Continentals. Be interested if anyone has any views on Hankook, as I've not had them before. Being Quattro, hope they last a while. :biglaugh:

Haven't really opened the taps up full bore as yet as wanna keep this one for a while so settling things in gently, but think this is the start of something beautiful. I specd mine up a fair bit and pushed my budget with the Technology pack, Vision pack, LED headlights, Electric mirrors, Full leather, Front Heated seats, Parking System Plus but feel really happy with it all. (Still think the options are bloomin expensive but the quality is great at least)

For anyone waiting for theirs to be delivered, its well worth the wait. And for what its worth in my experience its about 2 weeks from car leaving factory on the train to Emden docks until delivery to dealer and then 48hrs for pdi etc.

Cheers,

JB

Colste
21-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Hi JB72,

I have one of these on order in S-line Avant trim, expected build 16/05, so I expect I'll see it in June sometime?
I test drove the 272 version with Tiptronic and it was great.
Having not driven the S-Tronic, how do you find it? I have seen a number of professional reviews talking of low-speed 'jerkiness', with this gearbox, have you experienced this?

Cheers,
Colste

JB72
21-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Hi Colste,

June sounds about right. I never got to grips with the Order Tracker, mine just jumped from "we have your order" stage to "Quality Control" stage in the space of a week... Likewise I also drove the 272 on a test, and liked it a lot but am pleased to say I am not disappointed at all with the 218 or S-Tronic box. No jerkiness at all in any gear so far although I wouldn't be surprised or worried if I get some while stuff is bedding in - I had the A4 B8 2 litre tdi quattro with S-Tronic previously and that was far smoother after first few k miles. Even when the coast function is running and it then decides to slip back into gear you don't feel a thing, just see it on the dash. Only caveat to all of that is that I haven't really opened it up too much yet or "driven in a lively manner" as want things to bed in nicely, but all good so far.

Cheers,
jb

Colste
21-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Hi JB,

That's great to hear, apologies for dwelling on a potential negative after your post of 'Just Awesome', you know how it is when you are waiting...
It will be my first Audi, I have driven many in the past from A3 to S6 but never bought one.
Coming from an E-class estate, downsizing to a car that (on paper, with the exception of the boot) does everything better!
The online tracker seems to be playing 'tricks', mine went from order received to giving me an expected build week date to now just order received again?...

Cheers,
Colste

JB72
21-03-2016, 07:12 PM
No need for apologies, I know exactly what the waiting game is like...;)
I haven't driven an E class so can't make any comparison really, but pretty sure you will like your new ride. Did you get the Quattro version?
Yes the online tracker wasn't great for me either but once things started they happened pretty quick. Maybe a call to your dealer might give you a better idea of where things are at. Mine was useless and once they had my order deposit really didn't want to know until delivery (when I had to chase them!) but not all can be as bad. Funnily enough they are now showering me with affection as they want me to say nice thinks to Audi UK when they call to do their Customer service questionnaire. No Chance!:zx11:

Cheers,
JB

Colste
21-03-2016, 07:41 PM
The E-class has been good for the 3 years I have had it but fed up with servicing costs, 3 yrs = ~£1100 for 2 services + a few pairs of tyres (the third is due but it's going back this week)
The A4 is Quattro and I am getting it on a PCH with inclusive maintenance (inc. tyres, brakes and wipers even!) and it is still a lot less than the Merc per month.
My local dealer has been great so far, although their reputation with myself and others has been historically bad...
I shopped around for the best deal (lease companies and main dealers), then did what I always do, gave my local dealer a chance to price match (over the phone) and they did!
I ended up going in, test driving and ordering all in one visit, even getting a better deal!
time will tell on their overall performance....

anyone looking for for more info than from 'Your Audi' should check out the post: 'the new steed...' This populates a text doc with the build info and it works on pc, Mac and iPad ( for me anyhow)

cheers,
Colste.

daniel241085
21-03-2016, 08:21 PM
nice to see someone else with the same car. I picked up my 3.0 218 S-line on Friday last week. Absolutely amazing car. Upgraded from a 2012 A3 (138ps).

Colste
21-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Hi daniel241085,

Glad you you are enjoying yours too, still waiting for your pics....
Do you have anymore info regarding your first few days of driving, how many miles did you do over the weekend etc?

cheers,
Colste

daniel241085
21-03-2016, 09:26 PM
I will update my thread with how I have found it over the weekend. No pics as of yet, can't seem to upload them off my phone, will have a go tomorrow

JB72
22-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Out of interest Daniel, did your S-line come with Hankook tyres? My Sport did and just wondering what they are like, always had Continentals before.

daniel241085
22-03-2016, 08:05 PM

MJC_OK
04-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Glad you're enjoying the new car, and I totally agree about the new interior, it's a massive factor for me when choosing a new car. I was originally going for a Q5, but I couldn't have lived with the same interior that my B8 had for another three years. I LOVE just sitting in the new A4, it's great place to be and really enjoyable to ride.

One absolutely dumbass query I have, is that I'm not sure if my car as the adaptive suspension? :confused: I got a pre-built car, it wasn't listed as an extra but I do have the drive select which definitely makes a difference to ride comfort - is that a standard thing on the new model, didn't have it on the B8

JB72
05-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Glad you're enjoying the new car, and I totally agree about the new interior, it's a massive factor for me when choosing a new car. I was originally going for a Q5, but I couldn't have lived with the same interior that my B8 had for another three years. I LOVE just sitting in the new A4, it's great place to be and really enjoyable to ride.

One absolutely dumbass query I have, is that I'm not sure if my car as the adaptive suspension? :confused: I got a pre-built car, it wasn't listed as an extra but I do have the drive select which definitely makes a difference to ride comfort - is that a standard thing on the new model, didn't have it on the B8

Agree Q5 interior looks old now but of course that's due for new version anytime now. Was meant to be launched at Detroit apparently but didn't happen maybe as they unveiled Q2. Agree B9 cabin is way ahead of B8 which certainly wasn't bad - 42k in 24 months and was always happy enough.

Re adaptive suspension, Drive select is standard on all but not adaptive suspension so just because you have DS doesn't mean you have AS. Without AS it just alters engine and gearbox settings and I haven't noticed any real difference to be honest, certainly not as noticeable as going from Drive to Sport mode with the gearbox for example.

One query I have is how the heck do you get songs etc onto the Jukebox hard drive. It is always greyed out but is telling me the 10gig is free. Instruction manual says you cant copy cd's to it due to piracy, does this explain why I cant get songs from my iphone there as well? If so how you meant to do it?

Cheers
JB

MJC_OK
05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Ahh ok thanks, perhaps the change I notice is in my head (but the comfort does genuinely feel better to me :P)

I haven't tried the hard drive Jukebox to be honest, but I'd guess maybe copy them from an SD card? Perhaps try putting one album on a card to test it?

JB72
05-04-2016, 09:44 AM
I haven't tried the hard drive Jukebox to be honest, but I'd guess maybe copy them from an SD card? Perhaps try putting one album on a card to test it?[/QUOTE]

Yes that's all I can think of, but seems a long old way of doing it and not sure its worth it, think the Jukebox may not see a lot if use with me...