PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 tdi diesel pump gear timing

kieran_macca
20-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone, I have been following this forum since I bought my 2004 A4 2.5 tdi Quattro Avant (6 months ago). It has been very useful to me so far with any issues I've had with my car.
But this time I haven't found my answer through the search button.
I am currently changing the engine in my car (long story but this is now the easiest/cheapest way out) and last night I was changing over the diesel pump, I stupidly removed the timing gear from the pump to lift it out before realising the little plastic bit lifts out to let the pump lift straight up and away from the engine.
Anyway there is a keyway but no key to realign the gear to the pump. I did notice a little bump on the gear wich I lined up with the keyway. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is right? When the keyway is at 12 o'clock the hole for the timing pin is around the 8 or 9 o'clock position.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. I will try and upload a picture here to help show what I mean.
Thanks in advance

kieran_macca
20-03-2016, 11:12 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160320/53fd1d02dd775f2cbd48e653e383fb20.jpg

You can see the mark at 12 o'clock, I have lined this up with the keyway it's the only thing I have to go off as I don't think the timing hole lined up with it.

abyrne153
20-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm nearly sure they have to be set up on a test bench. There are only a couple of places in ireland that can repair the vp44 pump. Diesel engineering in Shercock, Cavan or omagh diesel services in Tyrone do them. I would ring one of them and ask. There may be other places but I know these definitely repair Bosch pumps.

kieran_macca
20-03-2016, 05:08 PM
OK thanks, I'm close to Omagh so that would be handy, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say, thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

kieran_macca
25-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Just for reference, and anyone searching for this info down the line. The car started perfect with pump timing set up like this. I only had to adjust the dynamic timing a little to have it running smoothly.
It was either luck or a calculated guess(lol), but I'm glad as Omagh diesel services wanted £120 + vat just to set the pulley!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

abyrne153
25-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Well done. It was worth taking the chance to save yourself £120 +.