PDA

View Full Version : So who has a Q7 V12, and hows it holding up?

Chris Ali
16-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Hi,

I've joined this forum as I'm interested in how the Audi Q7 V12 diesel is holding up reliability wise, and what the running costs are?

I prefer the high up driving position of an SUV and my last one was a GDE HOT tuned Jeep Commander that had 255bhp/455lbs torque, with 0-60 7.5 secs that I drove pretty hard for 30k miles and I LOVED how that would press me in the back. I ended up selling it as the quality was too basic for the maintenance costs (£1k+ a year without anything serious going wrong), prolonged long distance driving showed up a severe lack of comfort and I wanted more luxury and power.

I'm not rich, but I've always loved (and owned many) older full fat motors, over more mundane cars that shed £thousands in depreciation every year.

Any vehicle I have needs to be very comfortable and basically reliable e.g. I was tempted by a MB R63, but reports of engine failures put me off, likewise Bentley Anarge T's.

I've actually never considered the Q7 before, as right or wrong I've always dismissed it as being a WAGs car, but I love what I've been reading about the V12 Tdi, as I really miss the torque that a powerful diesel can put down and love the aggressive stance, wider arches, tougher look and build of the thing. Reviews who don't like Q7's or diesels, end up loving it.

I was considering being sensible and getting a 13 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 V8, so I'm really deciding what wins, head, or heart?

As for my risk level, my current car is an '04 plate BMW 760Li 6.0 v12; just hit 66k miles tonight, which I love and which may seem risky to others, but to me it was way more sensible than an equivalent MB S600 with multiple £2k ignition coils and £7k ABC suspension.

Its much trickier finding owners experiences of the Q7 V12 and thats what I'm hoping to find here.

Thanks for any advice.

NickTyler
16-03-2016, 12:22 PM
I don't own a Q7 V12 but it seems that with a simple tune you can get 1100nm of torque out of it. That is a serious back pressed in the seat number!!

Chris Ali
16-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Ohhhh it's goes without saying that I'd tune any turbo diesel lol
I would just need to ensure the Q7 wouldn't be hideous to maintain, bar the usual service stuff.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

NickTyler
18-03-2016, 04:09 PM
It's a 5.0 V12. It's not going to be cheap. But it may well be worth it...

Chris Ali
18-03-2016, 06:47 PM
6.0 not 5.0 but I'm after reliability info / owner experiences of the v12.

zollaf
18-03-2016, 06:54 PM
i don't think many of these were sold and i don't think i have heard anyone here mention about owning one as most people would go for an rs6. there is certainly a lot more being said about owning or wanting to own an s6 or rs6. but, what a heck of a car the v12 must be to drive. it is a 100 grand motor though, so big deep pockets needed to buy one to start with and really deep pockets needed to look after one. a service certainly won't come cheap and if anything should go wrong then its going to be expensive, very expensive.. but if nothing breaks then it could be an exhilarating experience...

Chris Ali
18-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for you reply. I drive a BMW 760 v12 so I'm already aware of the risks of older premium motors, but I'm trying to get a view on longer term reliability not servicing costs. Heck it's probably more economical than my BMW lol. It's hard getting real world info.

zollaf
18-03-2016, 08:23 PM
i never even knew this car existed until you asked about it, i thought the v10 tdi was the biggest lump they did.