PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug symbol flashing and Stop/Start system fault

usman786786
13-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a A3 and the Glow plug symbol is flashing and it's saying Stop Start system fault.

Any of you had this or know what it may be?

Anyone got a VCDS in the Manchester area?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver Head
14-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Hey

I've had this before and it was a fuel rail pressure sensor.

I have 2.0 tdi A3 8v Cabriolet.

Do you have a tuning box fitted?

Does it restart normally after turning off or is it a persistent issue?

I have licensed VCDS but I'm in Sussex.

usman786786
14-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Hi Oliver,
No tuning box fitted.

First time in the day I drive the car it all works fine, the next time I drive it flashes the glow plug icon and shows the start stop system failure. The car idles at 1k revs.

I have booked it in with Audi to have a retrofit cruise control fitted on Wednesday so hopefully they will sort out the system fault under warranty.

Are sensors covered under warranty?

Oliver Head
14-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Could possibly be a DPF issue if it high revs and the engine light us flashing it's probably trying to do a regeneration. Did the dpf light come on at all? Do you know what it looks like?

All sensors would be covered under warranty, but dpf issues usually aren't, if you haven't had the car long tho don't see how they can blame you

usman786786
14-03-2016, 03:32 PM
No other light comes on except glow plug flashes which is the engine management light on diesel models I believe.
Hope they can sort it for me and looking forward to the cruise control. I called a few other places regarding cruise control, they either said they haven't done one on a 8V or it is not possible as the activation code needs to be done by Audi.

usman786786
20-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Had the car checked out by an Audi independent and the timing belt was out and luckily no damage to engine. The engine did sound a bit loud. They couldn't tell me why the timing was out.
Had the timing belt changed and stop/start works perfect. Engine sounds quieter too. Result.

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 12:45 PM
I would imagine it would just be the case of clearing whatever fault code set this off.
The faults stay in memory and the symbol flashes, even if there is nothing wrong, once a fault is there like that it needs to be cleared.
If you've not got a box or remap, nothing to worry about.
I'm dreading the day something goes band with mine, it's remapped and modified :L

usman786786
03-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Has anyone forced an emergency regeneration?

That is

Diesel Particle Filter Emergency Regeneration - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Diesel_Particle_Filter_Emergency_Regeneration)

If so how long do you have to keep the brake and accelerator pressed and held for?

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 10:30 PM
I've done it a couple of times on mine, I just followed the instructions on screen.
You have to security login to the engine ECU first before you perform it from basic settings, or it won't work :)

usman786786
03-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Did it say release the pedals or keep them pressed for a long time?

Btw on UDS protocol no security code needed:

1.6l/2.0l R4 & 3.0l V6 CR-TDI (UDS)

For engine controllers that use the UDS protocol (as shown on the top left corner of the Open Controller screen), no Security Access is needed when Service regeneration of particle filter while standing is supported.

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Mine is UDS protocol, and I still needed to enter the security code or it just said aborted. My VCDS is fully licenced.
I think it said press brake and clutch then release brake and clutch then depress accellerator fully then release then it starts and the revs climb with the glow plug light flashing, then you can watch what it's doing by viewing measuring blocks.

usman786786
03-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Interesting. What code do you use?
I can't use Meas blocks as it greyed out for UDS.
I am using a licence cable too. Must be the type of engine which restricts me from meas blocks.

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 10:58 PM
When I click on security access it pops up with the code and I then type it in. It's something like 20168 (don't quote me).
It isn't called measuring block it's called something else similar and it is a drop down live feed rather than the old measuring block groups.
What engine do you have? 1.6 or 2.0? Mine is 2.0, but I don't know why it would be different for the 1.6

usman786786
03-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Mines a 1.6tdi.
Did you go a standing regeneration?
I will have a play tomorrow and see what I can do.
Mine did say running and asked to depress brake and Accelerator fully then hold them both. But didn't change. My feet got tired after a while.

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 11:08 PM
That's very similar to what mine did to start with, then I tried logging in with security access beforehand, and that seemed to work a treat.
It was basic settings then service regeneration of particle filter - that's where the correct option should be.
I'm usually with my phone or near a computer, so if you get stuck send me a PM and i'll plug into my car and walk you through exactly what worked for me :)

usman786786
03-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Thanks Oliver

usman786786
03-05-2016, 11:12 PM
What levels was your car at when you did a regeneration?
Mine is:
Address 01: Engine (04L 906 021 AL)

22:18:07
507 Particle filter; differential pressure sensor 1 bank 1; offset 5 hPa
508 Particle filter; field regeneration lock status-Bit 0 0
509 Particle filter; field regeneration request status-Bit 0 8
510 Particle filter; fuel consumption since last regeneration 54.32 l
511 Particle filter; kilometers since last regeneration 1057870 m
512 Particle filter; oil ash volume 0.06 l
513 Particle filter; oil ash volume 26.6 g
514 Particle filter; soot mass calculated 42.98 g
515 Particle filter; soot mass measured 15.88 g
516 Particle filter; time since last regeneration 103526 s
517 Particulate filter ash load limit 80.00 g

Oliver Head
03-05-2016, 11:18 PM
42g is very high, the most I have seen mine is mid to late 20s.
I would be very careful driving the car until you have completed a successful service regeneration, as there's a certain limit that once reached, the car will not regenerate and the only option is a new DPF, or to remove and clean the existing one.
They are supposed to active regenerate themselves even when idling, unless it's been switched off/interupted during the regen. Mine does it every 200 miles or so and I just leave it to do it when it wants to it means sitting in the car for half an hour rather than turning off the engine though.
You can tell when it's doing it as the start stop does not work, the idle is slightly higher than normal, the engine fan is going nuts and the turbo is boosting more so sounds hissier.