PDA

View Full Version : big problem help!

jonsvdub
12-10-2007, 07:43 PM
GOT A MK3 GOLF GTI 8V. ON IDLE ITS HUNTING ALOT AND WHEN DRIVING I GET LACK OF POWER AND BACK FIRING BUT IT DOES NOT DO IT ALL THE TIME:aargh4:. I HAVE GOT A K&N FILTER ON COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM? ALSO I HAVE RECENTLY HAD THE CAM BELT CHANGED COULD I HAVE A TOOTH OUT? NOT SURE IF IT IS TIMING COZ IT DOESNT DO THIS ALL THE TIME. HELP ME PLS SUM1:1zhelp:

Crasher
12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
You need to get a fault code read done. There are a number of possibilities such as engine speed sensor or coolant temperature sender but this would be expensive guess work without a fault code read. What is the engine code?

russvr6
14-10-2007, 08:32 PM
sounds like timing to me, you may find the cam & crank are lined up ok, but it may be out on the distributor

Crasher
14-10-2007, 10:44 PM
If it is an ADY or AGG engine then the distributor can be a long way out and it will make no difference, that’s why I asked him for the engine code but he hasn't responded.

jonsvdub
15-10-2007, 06:37 PM
engine code is 2E its the 91-94 sorry for late reply

Crasher
15-10-2007, 08:37 PM
OK, so the distributor is responsible for the ignition timing and this could well be the problem as it often requires adjustment after a cam belt change. To set the timing, the ECU has to be put into basic adjustment mode 000 using something like VAG-COM and it is then set using a timing light. Whilst setting the timing, check the fault codes as the symptom you describe is common on the 2E when they have a faulty throttle position potentiometer.

jonsvdub
15-10-2007, 08:48 PM
i shall give that ago and see if that helps. thanks for the advice