PDA

View Full Version : In-Car Dash Cam - Need to splice into switched 12V power

andyhud007
06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Hi Guys

I've fitted an in-car dash cam (Xmas Present of all!) into my new Q7 (4M) but need to splice in the wires into a switched 12V supply as I don't want to plug the lead just into the cigarette lighter socket.. I hate wires

I know its unlikely, but does anyone know a good location in the car a switched 12V supply I could peel off from? I learnt the car battery is directly under the drivers feet but its obviously not switched!

Cheers

Andy

dghdgh
10-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Hi Andy,

Did you get it sorted? I am interested on how you've got on, what mounting position did you use?

a4constu
10-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Hi Andy,

Did you get it sorted? I am interested on how you've got on, what mounting position did you use?

just been on youtube and it looks easy to hard wire into the fuse box

andyhud007
10-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah I did get it sorted. I'll post some pics of what I did in the end... involved no splicing/wiring into fuse box...

dghdgh
10-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Cheers Andy that would be appreciate.
Dave

andyhud007
10-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Ok, so I got given a NextBase DashCam by the in-laws for Christmas... :confused: but hey...

So it came with a 4 Metre "Cigarette lighter" lead which you basically run around the trim of your car and plug into your cigarette lighter.. obviously..

But I'm a no wires/hidden man so had to do it another way, so this is briefly what I did.

Mounted DashCam on window on passenger side of rear view mirror, run the bundled cigarette lighter cable around the trim of the plastic covering the camera in the windscreen (used for traffic sign recognition etc) and then using plastic pry tool set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LEPX2DC?keywords=plastic%20pry&qid=1457605386&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13) (not just a flat blade screwdriver - DONT USE THAT!)I gently pushed the wire behind the trim and down the A pillar to the speaker grille.

I had to remove the Bose speaker Grille (again with the plastic tools) and ran the cable behind that and down the edge of the dashboard just above the bonnet release catch.. That then allowed the cigarette lighter end of the cable to end up in the battery compartment which if you dont know is under the drivers feet.

I then ordered from Amazon this Cigarette lighter extension cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007M6NJ3U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00). Its 6 metres long so more than enough and connected that to the first cable and then just ran it under the plastic trim to the back seats. I looped it under the wires that are connected to the 3rd row of seats (used probably for the automatic lift/drop of the 3rd row of seats) and cable tied it there.

Next I continued to run the cable to the back of the car under the plastic trim that runs along the back of the car round to the left hand side where the cigarette lighter socket is in the boot (where the little net compartment is). The floor there is a small section that can be lifted because underneath is a fuse box location so I just lifted it up neatly fed the cable up and plugged it in. Job Done

The advantage here is that cigarette lighter is only powered up when the ignition is on, so the cam only gets power when the ignition is on. The Dash Cam automatically starts recording when it receives power so it just starts as soon as I start the car.

Pictures say a thousand words:

Dash Cam on window on passenger side

2. Wire under trim under main windscreen

3. Bose Speaker grille I needed to remove to run cable behind it

4. Cable ends up in battery compartment under drivers feet. Joined together with extension cable

5. Connection to extension lead hidden in battery compartment. Cable tied to side neatly.

6. Cable run down side of car into boot and behind plastic trim right at back of car

7. and finally up into little net area and into existing cigarette lighter socket

This took me about 30 minutes in all but I hope it helps provide some guidance...

Cheers

Andy

satyp
19-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Nice i need to build up the GUTS lol .. Just as the vehicle is new heh.. I could do it but would take probably Twice as long or more to prep and figure all the bits .. Will save this for a future attempt as the Toyota IQ was all fitted up next will be the big boy turn that I would love to get out of the sooner rather than later..

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

dghdgh
19-07-2016, 01:56 PM
I had a poke around on Sunday and I can honestly say I ve never seen a car put together so well. I am hesitant in pulling it to bits but I have ordered some new trim tools.
I intend to take a power feed from the fuse box using a switched 12v supply slot using a breakout fuse.
If you jump in before I do lets know how you get on.
Andy must have designed the car he knows it so well.

satyp
19-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Lol I think he has or some close Audi Affiliations of sorts ;-) [emoji1]

andyhud007
19-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Oi! :)

Nah, I'm just a little sad and obsessed with my car...

Honestly Satyp, its not hard at all. Just stick cam on window and run wire round edge of car, you just use your fingers to push the cable behind the trim. The only tough place is the speaker grille as you can see in my post above. After that, the only tools you need are your hands.

But yes, dont do anything without a plastic pry tool set. Please dont ever use a screwdriver for anything like that!

elrao
19-07-2016, 04:16 PM
In the past I have taken power from the fuse box using dummy fuses like this

Means you can easily remove with no sign you were ever there ...

satyp
19-07-2016, 04:49 PM
In the past I have taken power from the fuse box using dummy fuses like this

Means you can easily remove with no sign you were ever there ...
Do these come angled too incase of space issues

elrao
19-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Possibly, if you Google car fuse with wire (or similar) you'll see a variety

dghdgh
24-07-2016, 03:54 PM
All done well front camera anyway. Used a breakout fuse plugged into the fuse array in the passenger footwell and used earthing point from a nut in the passenger dash end. Cable dressing into the trim, thanks to Andy for his tips there.
I will get the rear camera fitted at some point but time is problem.

Gyro
08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Folks

Are there any sensors/gizmos behind the rear view mirror that can be affected by putting a dashcam there? Thinking auto dimming/rain sensitive wipers, etc. etc. G

Anyway, I'm going for the Thinkware F750 front and rear but there's no danger I'm attempting to fit it myself!

TIA
G

andyhud007
08-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Not that I'm aware of Gyro. Just the main radar sensor. Mine is right next to it, never had a problem in over 6000 miles.

Andy

satyp
26-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Hi.. Has anyone had any experience running wires down panoramic roof on the 4M any pitfalls to avoid, watch out etc,.. quite sure someone had mentioned there was an issue on one side.. just can't find that thread..

andyhud007
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Hi.. Has anyone had any experience running wires down panoramic roof on the 4M any pitfalls to avoid, watch out etc,.. quite sure someone had mentioned there was an issue on one side.. just can't find that thread..

Satyp,

Could you not run wires just down the side of the roof liner where the doors meet the roof liner?

satyp
01-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Satyp,

Could you not run wires just down the side of the roof liner where the doors meet the roof liner?

Hey Andy Thanks, Not sure really, there's a thick red plastic connector (in line on the wire) I think going back to rear cam - will need to confirm, decided to just get it installed professionally (hopefully experienced too), should be here this afternoon , will post up some pics when I get a mo..

andyhud007
01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
ahh ok mate, no worries. Hope it all goes ok. Look forward to seeing the results!

bamberjim
02-12-2016, 11:29 AM
is it possible to get a permanet live from the overhead lights by rearview mirror?

andyhud007
05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
There is a switched live up there, but not a permanent unfortunately.

Jonh1969
06-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Andy

I think your install is into the cigar socket in the boot which is switched .... did you consider going into the rearview mirror cluster for power?

Jon

andyhud007
06-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Hey John. Yes your right and yes I am planning on doing that or from the over head roof switches for lights / sunroof etc. They are all switched lives in there