PDA

View Full Version : Running in the engine

passatMP
12-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any views on what the best way to run an new engine in is?

Thanks

mluton
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Just Boot it. :)

bora(ing) nick
12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Just Boot it. :)

lol :D lol :D lol

Just drive it as you would normally, and gradually increase the harshness of your driving. Depends on what you want to obtain from the engine, if it's just a daily driver.... just drive it.

Nick

BenR
12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
A gentle right foot and no flogging at low revs.

chrisvw
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I looked into it quite a bit when mine was new and the general consensus of opinion was to drive it normally but stretch it now and again to ensure the pistons run up and down the full range of the bores. This helps bed the rings in and can reduce oil consumption in the long run.

This piece of advice on Honest John is often quoted and seems reasonable:-

First 1,000 miles limit to 3,000 rpm but make sure you hit 3k regularly. Next 1,000 miles ( 1k to 2k) limit to 3,500 rpm, but make sure you hit it regularly. Next 1,000 miles (2k to 3k) limit to 4,000 rpm and make sure you hit 4k rpm regularly. After 3k increase your limit to 4,500 rpm, make sure you hit that at least a few times a week. After 4k miles, take it to 4,500 rpm or to the limiter at least a couple of times a week threough the gears. That way you will help free off the piston rings, will help stop the engine turning into an oil burner, will help keep the injectors clean and will help prevent soot accumulating in the exhaust system. Though many diesel drivers will be horrified at the thought of extending their engines to 4,500 rpm, doing it just a couple of times a week usually beings an overall economy benefit and is what the MOT tester will do to your engine any way.
HJ

Perry
01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Looks like I'm F____D then!

I bought the demo as I was impressed on the speed, performance and handling.

I wonder how many times it had been booted before I bought it :(

orangezorki
02-11-2007, 11:23 AM
This piece of advice on Honest John is often quoted and seems reasonable:-

First 1,000 miles limit to 3,000 rpm but make sure you hit 3k regularly. Next 1,000 miles ( 1k to 2k) limit to 3,500 rpm, but make sure you hit it regularly. Next 1,000 miles (2k to 3k) limit to 4,000 rpm and make sure you hit 4k rpm regularly. After 3k increase your limit to 4,500 rpm, make sure you hit that at least a few times a week. After 4k miles, take it to 4,500 rpm or to the limiter at least a couple of times a week threough the gears. That way you will help free off the piston rings, will help stop the engine turning into an oil burner, will help keep the injectors clean and will help prevent soot accumulating in the exhaust system. Though many diesel drivers will be horrified at the thought of extending their engines to 4,500 rpm, doing it just a couple of times a week usually beings an overall economy benefit and is what the MOT tester will do to your engine any way.
HJ

I knew the silly flappy paddles on the steering wheel would come in handy!:p

However, I've seen so much conflicting advice on this topic. Some say never rev the engine, whereas there is one, much quoted (sorry don't have the link) web page which says that when it is brand new you have the opportunity to run it in properly with heavy revving, even on a dyno. Can anyone link to proof that one way is best?

David.

Black
02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I read a response in a car mag recently (EVO I think) that basically said run it in as per the manual, the argument being that car manufacturers put the guidance in the manual to limit warranty claims.

Have done it on our new passat TDI and so far after 3k miles the oil consumption has been minimal so perhaps there is something in it.

Counter argument is my last two cars, both ex-Demo high performance diesels and I am pretty sure they weren't run in. Had no engine problems with either of them over pretty big mileages.

claranet
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi there,

I was surprised when the Handbook on my new B6 170 DPF Sport Estate mentioned running in, I didn't think that modern engines with ever tighter tolerances it mattered - I was wrong it seems !

The point in running in Engines is to ensure that the stresses and pressures and fine particules of swarf are gradually allowing the frictional parts of the engine to bed in - in other words wear them selves in. In fact the factory fills the engines with a special oil designed to make the process of bedding the engine that stays in the engine until it's first 10k miles service in which the standard semi synthetic stuff is put in as well as a new oil filter of course.

The important thing is to make the engine pull, but only if it feels comfortable i.e. in the centre of the rev range. Do not slog it in 6th Gear at 30 MPH mine hates it ! however do not rev the pants of it either all that will do is wreak havoc with the valve gear and if very hot break piston rings.

If I was you I'd stick with what the book says if you intend to keep the for a long time, then running in will pay dividends in future years. I know it is tempting to see what it can do but as Diesel is now over £1 per litre(£103.9 Per Litre today) it is a temptation that is easy to control !!

Regards
claranet