PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 Mk2 - Noisy chattering keyless go antenna

Big_D_80
04-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a rather annoying ticking or clicking noise coming from what seems to be from behind the dashboard in their New Q7.
Mine is a UK spec Sline 272hp 2015 model.
Everytime I move off from a standstill I hear this chatter noise almost sounds like morse code or similar to the sound of a camera taking lots of pictures in quick succession.
The noise coincides with the led flashing on the key fob so it must be the car detecting that the key is still in the vehicle.
The noise is quite faint but really annoying.

Any help or advice? Is it normal?
I've taken it into the dealer a couple of times and they haven't been able to fix it. The last time they said they had reset the system (whatever that means) but it is no better.
Thanks in advance.

Nemo78
04-03-2016, 05:22 PM
I think if it's what I'm thinking...then I was told it was the MMI unit - now I'm not exactly sure what the unit in the dash is which holds the data sim and SD Cards but it was diagnosed as this and is common in many Q7s

Think this is slightly discussed in the 2nd Gen Faults thread [emoji1360]

Big_D_80
05-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll go check out the other thread. Any idea what it relates to specifically? Which part of the MMI? Thanks

Big_D_80
25-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Still not had this resolved. Looks like some else has notice the problem too judging by this YouTube video Audi Q7 problem-20160420 ticking noise in key box/New Audi Q7/Audi Q7 2016 - YouTube (https://youtu.be/mZ8jN3tOlJI)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyhud007
25-05-2016, 09:15 AM
I have exactly the same noise on mine too. I have the car today so will go out and record it. Maybe we can all gang up on Audi to get it sorted?

I thought (as per other thread) it was the MMI unit "booting up"

Big_D_80
25-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Audi UK have now confirmed that it's the car checking that the remote key is still present. The clicking corresponds to the red led flashing on the key itself during a drive. Soooooooo annoying. Looks to be a widespread antenna issue. Audi UK have opened lots of cases about it and apparently the factory is working on a fix but it been about 6 months now. Can't hurt if a few more people complain though. Cheers

andyhud007
25-05-2016, 09:32 AM
I didn't even know my keyhad a red light on it.. so what should I be looking for? it flashing red in time with the clicking?

Big_D_80
25-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Yep. The key has a little red led on it that flashes when you press a button. It also flashes when the car communicates with it for whatever reason. The clicking coincides with the led flashing when your driving.

srbsq7
25-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Still not had this resolved. Looks like some else has notice the problem too judging by this YouTube video

That is a lot louder than I thought when people were describing it. I definitely don't have that in my car.

Btw - if this annoys you, don't upgrade to Sky Q!

satyp
25-05-2016, 11:08 AM
I have exactly the same noise on mine too. I have the car today so will go out and record it. Maybe we can all gang up on Audi to get it sorted?

I thought (as per other thread) it was the MMI unit "booting up"
Yeaaah sounds like a fun topic l ..heh lol..

Let the Recording begin!!.. Dealers have slick way of not carrying out due deligence have any attempted fixes

Gang ✋ up and stick it to Audi.. Lets build that case file... [emoji3] would be even nicer if resolver.co.uk worked like 👍 it should [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

satyp
25-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Yep. The key has a little red led on it that flashes when you press a button. It also flashes when the car communicates with it for whatever reason. The clicking coincides with the led flashing when your driving.

So hold on the remote key is going berserk flicking away and the noise is coming from the dash..?.. Is it def NOT the key?..

Going by the video it appears the guy's trying to point where the KEY would be placed..[emoji50]

andyhud007
25-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Well, I just went to car and got the clicking once, but I dont think its "as bad" as that youtube clip.

I recorded it here (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B06A5D3ED8AD270D!17635&authkey=!AOH_moIhRG9bscc&ithint=video%2cmp4)for prosperity...

About 10-12 seconds in, if you listen carefully you can hear it, but notice the light on the key doesn't flash or anything... Is this the same thing?

andyhud007
25-05-2016, 11:50 AM
So hold on the remote key is going berserk flicking away and the noise is coming from the dash..?.. Is it def NOT the key?..

Going by the video it appears the guy's trying to point where the KEY would be placed..[emoji50]

The clicking does NOT come from the Key, its in the dash somewhere.. glove box area in my opinion.

srbsq7
25-05-2016, 12:02 PM
The clicking does NOT come from the Key, its in the dash somewhere.. glove box area in my opinion.

Does anyone know what type of hard drive they've put in the MMI? If it's not solid state it could be that?

Does it make the same noise if you rip a CD to the car?

Big_D_80
25-05-2016, 12:18 PM
The clicking comes from underneath the plastic tray just infront/beneath the arm rest

Big_D_80
25-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Here's a link to my video of the clicking...
New Audi Q7 Clicking Noise - YouTube (https://youtu.be/MEBT7B9dRNY)

andyhud007
25-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Here's a link to my video of the clicking...
New Audi Q7 Clicking Noise - YouTube (https://youtu.be/MEBT7B9dRNY)

Thanks Big_D... Defo the same type of clicking but I'm sure mine wasnt coming from the plastic tray under/in front of arm rest. I was certain mine was behind glove box.. I'll go check again... maybe I need to be driving too?

Nemo78
25-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks Big_D... Defo the same type of clicking but I'm sure mine wasnt coming from the plastic tray under/in front of arm rest. I was certain mine was behind glove box.. I'll go check again... maybe I need to be driving too?

Mine is defo from dash area and not as per yours Big_D or the US clip...will listen again in the morning.

Both the Qs have done / do this...

Big_D_80
13-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Looks like the rest of the world is now catching on to this key antenna issue:
Ticking noise from lower console - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/ticking-noise-lower-console-2901874/)