PDA

View Full Version : golf

IANTDI
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
how much should i pay for a golf mrk 1 average condition

Oddball
22-10-2007, 05:26 PM
It really depends on two things. The condition af the individual car, and (mostly) what trim. A bog standard 1.0 or 1.3 in average condition would probably fetch £3-500. But there are rarer models, and the GTI and cabriolets of course. These would probably fetch a good bit more.

Also if the owner has modified it. A heavily modified 1.3 made to look like a GTI will sell for peanuts. Then a rough around the edges, genuine GTI without all that lowering and bosh will go for it's true value. I think most people will go for the genuine article, even if it is a bit roosty.

mr brightside
27-10-2007, 07:26 PM
wise words from oddball,steer well clear of cars that have been messed about with and try to avoid anything older than a Y plate because they are more prone to rust problems,A plate cars are best because the bodywork sealing is reputed to be of a higher standard.beware of overheating problems they can be down to headgasket failure,avoid smokers unless you know how to change the valve stem oil seals and don't buy one with sill back/front corrosion because it usually means the beginning of a long term weldathon. prices vary a lot depending on model and condition (can you be more specific on what you are after?) don't forget to look in free ads and yeller, you can pick up cracking cars at rock bottom prices because sellers don't usually know how sought after the car might be, eBay is a source of good cars but be prepared to pay top whack. if you're after a lower model a 1.3 driver is a nice bet and a 1.5GX is rare and very good interior spec. models sporting a Formel E badge have high compression engines. C's and CL's are lower interior spec, no rev counter,no centre console,no sunroof etc but all of this is easily upgraded as is the exterior. GTI's are more expensive so be prepared to shell out up to a grand and over depending on model and condition,a Campaign is i think an anniversary edition and rareish,identify them by leather steering wheels. the 1.6GTI puts out 110bhp while the 1.8 has 112bhp but more torque. if you're going for a GTI i'd compression test the engine too. hope the advice is of some use and i hope you end up buying one because they're a retro icon and highly addictive. regards.

Crasher
27-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Condition is everything and rust is a nightmare. I am just rebuilding the rear axle mounts on my 83 GTI and it is serious work even for me and I have been repairing this area for 20 years. Please get it inspected before you buy.