PDA

View Full Version : The BiTDI Arrived

StumblingTrout
01-03-2016, 08:08 PM
The wait is over & it's finally here. Collected this morning.

So far quite pleased, although i've only driven it back from the dealership.

Will head out later and test the Dynamic Light Assist.

Ordered the Moonrock seats, they are WAY lighter than the configurator suggested they would be - look great and add some much needed contrast into an otherwise very dark cabin, but perhaps not the most practical choice with a kid on the way.

Very pleased with Havard Blue.

The Active Info Display makes the interior. It's truly fantastic.

Have tried to set up Car Net but the VW site won't recognise the VIN yet. Assume it's too new.

Some pics:

http://s10.postimg.org/uu9mlve6h/IMG_3631.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/jkgwqx955/IMG_3634.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/h5p16hsw9/IMG_3652.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/7u2z9jgcp/IMG_3655.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/ceb0b9gwf/IMG_3632.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/9ixx4ecwf/IMG_3639.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/k37umzhe7/IMG_3644.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/haen2yh1r/IMG_3645.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/hr4g34u6n/IMG_3650.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/ruokljljj/IMG_3651.jpg

(And this is what I thought the seats would look like - never trust the configurator!!)

http://s12.postimg.org/hcjcsafd9/IMG_3657.jpg

YawnGumbo
04-03-2016, 11:42 AM
That looks lovely! Is that boot liner the one you have to order with the car, or is it a dealer fit accessory? If the latter then do you happen to know the item number?

EssexGonzo
04-03-2016, 03:38 PM
That looks very nice but the seat colour does look a little "brave"! I'd be having a word with the dealer or customer services about what is clearly a night and day difference between the configurator and real life. I know they always claim that it's approximate but that's not even close!

StumblingTrout
04-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Thanks! The boot liner is the £45 one that you can tick on the online configurator... I'm afraid I don't have the part number but I assume it's probably the only rubber liner they do for the B8 Estate... It seems pretty good.

StumblingTrout
04-03-2016, 11:14 PM
I may tweet them... Had I known it would be that light I wouldn't have ordered it, but there's little than can be done about that now - but I think they should change their configurator!!

P Adams
04-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Lovely car. The configurator view of the seats looks like my GT's Titan black / Alcantara and nothing like the light colour of your seats. I would be extremely disappointed with my dealer if it arrived like that. I'm a designer and deal with commercial tolerances in print colour etc all the time and as EssexGonzo said, that's not even close! But I'm sure you will love the car. Had mine for just under a year and love it.

gamichea
07-03-2016, 09:13 PM
The seats look like moonrock/black as shown in the brochure .pdf which is nothing like the configurator image which in turn is closest to flint grey/black Nappa in the brochure. That combination does not appear in the configurator! I have yet to be impressed with the overall accuracy of VWUK's website. User acceptance testing must be somewhere between laughable and non-existent.

StumblingTrout
18-03-2016, 08:10 PM
So, 800 miles in and i'm really pleased with it.

Thoughts:

The DSG box is smooth but the car would be improved with a Torque Converter box.

Goes like a rocket ship

Very comfortable

Dynamic Light Assist is witchcraft

Drivers massage is not adjustable so disappointed with this

Car-Net is a waste of time

240v socket in the second row needs a German to UK adaptor

Handling is phenomenal

Averaging 35mpg, achieved 43mpg on a 150 mile run last week

Always drive with the gearbox in sport otherwise it tries to get into 7th as quickly as possible even at sub 40mph speeds which makes the car feel laboured and sluggish

Cabin ambience is lovely at night time with the virtual cockpit dash and the LED strips in the doors

Sound insulating glass feels thick but unsure whether it dampens the noise

Keyless entry is a pain in the backside when washing the car as running water over the door handles makes it think you are touching it so will lock/unlock/lock/unlock/lock/unlock etc - physical button on the door handle like Volvo/Mazda etc is much better!

Dynamic Cruise Control is spot on

I'm really quite happy with this car, 17 days in. It has so far surpassed my expectations.

Gave it some love and a coat of Hellshine Abyss at the weekend:

http://s22.postimg.org/rb70zfo01/IMG_3058.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/gft0jkjxj/IMG_3782_2.jpg

scottjc
18-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Congratulations, I'm glad you're happy with it.
I have done 350 miles in my 190SCR R Line in 3 days and I seem to love the same things as you do.
The interior ambience is incredible. VW are really punching above their weight here, the LED strips in the doors are a real touch of class.
I've averaged 47mpg so far, with a 50 mile trip this morning returning 53mpg.

StumblingTrout
20-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Thats pretty good for a new engine.

One observation, the tyre pressures are much higher than most other cars on the Passat! The lowest (Comfort) setting is 38PSI all round!

scottjc
20-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Thats pretty good for a new engine.

Yeah, I have high hopes for the fuel economy once the engine beds in...

thewanted
16-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I have high hopes for the fuel economy once the engine beds in...

Hey,

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but would you mind giving us an update on what kind of MPG you're achieving please? I'm test driving the BiTDI next weekend and it would be awesome to know what kind of economy figures you get on a long cruise.

Thanks!

StumblingTrout
16-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Hey,

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but would you mind giving us an update on what kind of MPG you're achieving please? I'm test driving the BiTDI next weekend and it would be awesome to know what kind of economy figures you get on a long cruise.

Thanks!

No problems - on my daily commute i'm generally getting about 43mpg. I've had over 50mpg driving carefully on a longer cruise.

I'm averaging about 36mpg long term though - but then that's because the car is just so damn fun to drive.

Hope this helps

thewanted
16-10-2016, 07:39 PM
No problems - on my daily commute i'm generally getting about 43mpg. I've had over 50mpg driving carefully on a longer cruise.

I'm averaging about 36mpg long term though - but then that's because the car is just so damn fun to drive.

Hope this helps

That's really helpful, thanks! Wasnt expecting such a quick response :)

Looking forward to test driving it. I had pretty much made my mind up that I wanted an A4 Avant but the Passat and its 240BHP and AWD for the same price has thrown a spanner into the works.

scottjc
16-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Hey,

Thanks!

The 190 TDI is averaging 54mpg over long term now and I can often get over 60mpg on a long steady journey. I'm surprised that there is such big difference between mine and the BiTDI, although mine is only 2wd.

thewanted
16-10-2016, 07:41 PM
The 190 TDI is averaging 54mpg over long term now and I can often get over 60mpg on a long steady journey. I'm surprised that there is such big difference between mine and the BiTDI.

The BiTDI is really heavy and the Haldex system definitely doesn't help.

StumblingTrout
16-10-2016, 07:42 PM
That's really helpful, thanks! Wasnt expecting such a quick response :)

Looking forward to test driving it. I had pretty much made my mind up that I wanted an A4 Avant but the Passat and its 240BHP and AWD for the same price has thrown a spanner into the works.

If it makes any odds, we borrowed a Q7 demonstrator for 3 days before ordering the Passat. The Passat has better build quality.

If I was shopping again now and in your position, my money would (dare I say this on a VW board) be on the new Volvo V90/S90 D5. Also 240bhp, Also AWD but with a proper auto gearbox and much higher build quality again. We've just ordered an XC90 to replace the wife's car - the interior is really quite special (and has been carried over into their other new models)

I enjoy my BiTdi though. The AWD in my opinion makes all the difference, it's really sure footed and it's amazing how well a car with so much power can remain so stable when you bury your right foot from a stand still on a wet day! The only thing that lets it down is the gearbox, but that's a DSG thing, not BiTDI.

thewanted
16-10-2016, 08:05 PM
If it makes any odds, we borrowed a Q7 demonstrator for 3 days before ordering the Passat. The Passat has better build quality.

If I was shopping again now and in your position, my money would (dare I say this on a VW board) be on the new Volvo V90/S90 D5. Also 240bhp, Also AWD but with a proper auto gearbox and much higher build quality again. We've just ordered an XC90 to replace the wife's car - the interior is really quite special (and has been carried over into their other new models)

I enjoy my BiTdi though. The AWD in my opinion makes all the difference, it's really sure footed and it's amazing how well a car with so much power can remain so stable when you bury your right foot from a stand still on a wet day! The only thing that lets it down is the gearbox, but that's a DSG thing, not BiTDI.

I had a B9 Avant Saloon as a loan car for 5 weeks earlier in the year and I did fall in love with it. The 150PS TDi engine was insufficient for me, but apart from that the rest of the car was lovely. I do agree with you though that Volvo have stepped things up, and the XC90 especially is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately the V90 exceeds my maximum budget of £34k.

I'm disappointed to hear that you don't like the 7 speed DSG box. I had high hopes for it not being as dim-witted as its 6 speed sibling. The 8 speed ZF box would definitely be my preferred choice though. Truly remarkable gearbox.

StumblingTrout
16-10-2016, 08:11 PM
I had a B9 Avant Saloon as a loan car for 5 weeks earlier in the year and I did fall in love with it. The 150PS TDi engine was insufficient for me, but apart from that the rest of the car was lovely. I do agree with you though that Volvo have stepped things up, and the XC90 especially is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately the V90 exceeds my maximum budget of £34k.

I'm disappointed to hear that you don't like the 7 speed DSG box. I had high hopes for it not being as dim-witted as its 6 speed sibling. The 8 speed ZF box would definitely be my preferred choice though. Truly remarkable gearbox.

Ah fair enough. £34k would get you the V90 D4 Momentum + a few extra boxes ticked but not quite the D5...

The DSG box is great when you are in motion and it's lightning fast to change but it really grates on me

1) Pulling away from stationary
2) Slowing down to a junction
3) The length of time it takes the thing to engage reverse

I guess it's an automated manual so isn't going to be like a true auto-box, but I get into our XC60 which has a years old 6 speed Aisin Warner torque converter transmission and everything is just so much smoother!

thewanted
16-10-2016, 08:15 PM

I did an Audi Experience day a few months ago, and we got to drive the RS3. I don't know if it has the same 7 speed DSG box as the BiTDI (I'm fairly sure it does), but it was really slow to pull away! I'll definitely be testing that on Saturday...

StumblingTrout
16-10-2016, 08:19 PM
The BiTDI is not slow to pull away, it's anything but! It's just not a silky smooth transition from being stopped to being on the move as it takes up drive sometimes.

thewanted
16-10-2016, 08:21 PM
The BiTDI is not slow to pull away, it's anything but! It's just not a silky smooth transition from being stopped to being on the move as it takes up drive sometimes.

That's good to hear :) I did wonder at the time if the car was just too hot because we were testing the carbon cermanic brakes so it was getting hammered over and over.

gamichea
16-10-2016, 08:39 PM
The DSG box is great when you are in motion and it's lightning fast to change but it really grates on me

2) Slowing down to a junction
3) The length of time it takes the thing to engage reverse

I guess it's an automated manual so isn't going to be like a true auto-box, but I get into our XC60 which has a years old 6 speed Aisin Warner torque converter transmission and everything is just so much smoother!

I certainly don't have these issues with the six speed DSG. Autocar road testers moan about hesitation on sharp take offs when pulling into traffic from a side road but then I don't often drive in busy cities and find my needs in comparable situations more than adequately dealt with. It comes down the gears nicely when slowing whether I'm on the brakes or not and never had any issue with the speed at which reverse is engaged and I have to make two three point turns every time I park on my drive to leave the car ready for a quick forward exit.

Its my first auto so maybe my specs. are rose tinted, but I love it. Would not consider going back to a manual box after 50 years driving like that. Its so much more relaxing to drive, allowing more thought to be given to other aspects of he task at hand.

thewanted
17-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Me again :)

How are you finding the Sport Pack for DCC, StumblingTrout? Can you feel the difference? Do you think it's worth the money?

StumblingTrout
18-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Me again :)

How are you finding the Sport Pack for DCC, StumblingTrout? Can you feel the difference? Do you think it's worth the money?

I vaguely remember the steering on the demonstrator being too light for my liking but mine is perfect - so I wondered if the Sports Pack did anything to improve it.

Difficult to say for sure, as I didn't push the demonstrator too hard BUT the way that the Passat eats corners defies physics for a car of its size.

It's amazingly well planted. I guess the Sports Pack for DCC can only help that, and the car is tremendous fun to drive. I'd say go for it if you want it to be really good fun to push round bends.

thewanted
19-10-2016, 10:58 AM
I vaguely remember the steering on the demonstrator being too light for my liking but mine is perfect - so I wondered if the Sports Pack did anything to improve it.

Difficult to say for sure, as I didn't push the demonstrator too hard BUT the way that the Passat eats corners defies physics for a car of its size.

It's amazingly well planted. I guess the Sports Pack for DCC can only help that, and the car is tremendous fun to drive. I'd say go for it if you want it to be really good fun to push round bends.

Thanks again :) I was definitely interested in the variable ratio rack in the A4 Avant but it's like £900 which is just crazy. I do like having a bit of a play on the B roads, so it'll be £290 well spent :)

StumblingTrout
23-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks again :) I was definitely interested in the variable ratio rack in the A4 Avant but it's like £900 which is just crazy. I do like having a bit of a play on the B roads, so it'll be £290 well spent :)

How did the test drive go?

thewanted
23-10-2016, 08:51 PM
How did the test drive go?

Disappointing to be honest. The car was great, but the salesman was probably one of the worst I've dealt with. Cared more about his hair than knowing anything about the car, but I think that most of us have come to expect that. The test drive lasted maybe 10 min around Kew in London, so I didn't really get a chance to boot it. I asked if we could go on the M4 for at least one junction because I could tell that we were heading back to the dealership, and he said "oh, you'd need to book a longer test drive" even though HE suggested I come on Saturday and I waited almost a week for the test drive. When I walked in the first thing he asked was "Are you buying a new or used one?" so I answered, "I'm here to find out if I even like it". Not a good start.

The leather seats were supremely comfortable, and I was impressed with the interior after coming away from a test drive of the Golf R Estate thoroughly disappointed a few months ago. I could not tell any difference between Normal and Sport. The steering and dampers felt exactly the same to me, and the steering was very over-assisted. The engine was much more audible than the diesel A4s I've been in recently, and there was a bit of road noise (albeit at a vmax of 40mph :mad:) but not bad at all.

I definitely like the car and the engine is great, but I don't like it more than the A4 which is what I expected. If the Passat was ~£4k less than the A4 the choice would be much more difficult to make. I'm going to order the A4 Avant, but I can see why you like the car so much. It's a great choice :)

Guest 2
11-12-2016, 06:28 PM
StumblingTrout .. how are you getting on with your BiTDI now?

StumblingTrout
11-12-2016, 06:42 PM
StumblingTrout .. how are you getting on with your BiTDI now?

Excellent car. The grip is staggering, it's got a good level of poke and it's comfortable.

The DSG gearbox annoys the hell out of me. A good 8 speed torque converter would be infinitely better and much smoother. I'd not buy another DSG gearbox again. But that's just my preference.

I've had a few rattles fixed, and it's developed some more - this time the clock seems to be rattling.

The car is telling me it's going to need a service before 10,000 miles - good job I bought the maintenance plan if it's going to want an oil change every 9,000 miles!

Heated steering wheel takes forever to heat up

Apple Car Play sometimes just randomly crashes

Can't turn heated steering wheel on without heated seats (you have to turn everything on, and then turn the seats off)

Averaging mid 30's to the gallon day to day. I'll break 40 on a long run. Adaptive Cruise seems to kill the economy.

Got 6-7k miles from my first tank of AdBlue.

The Dynamic Light Assist feature doesn't seem to want to put main beam on until you exceed 30mph which is really, really annoying driving through country lanes.

But... The grip. Oh my gosh the grip. The AWD in combination with the torque vectoring and the variable steering etc means it's a joy to throw round corners. A car as big as the Passat shouldn't be that much fun. I always get a kick out of a full throttle take off from stationary in the wet. It takes most people by surprise and initially feels much quicker than 240ps because of the initial take off.

Would I buy this car again? If they put a torque converter gearbox in then maybe. Otherwise i'm off to buy the 240ps Volvo V90 D5 AWD.

Has anyone else on here got a BiTdi - what are their thoughts?

Guest 2
11-12-2016, 07:07 PM
thanks for that, considering one to replace my s-tronic a4, what sort of range do you get from a tank?

all of my driving is motorway with very little to zero town runs.

StumblingTrout
11-12-2016, 07:09 PM
480 miles to a full tank, give or take a couple depending on the type of driving i've been doing.

If your driving is all motorway you'll do much better than me. I have achieved over 50mpg on some stretches of motorway before.

Guest 2
11-12-2016, 07:15 PM
My A4 is the 177 TDI quattro, I think it's underpowered for the drivetrain and gearbox and I'm only getting around 40mpg on my daily journey.

What drew me to the 240 GT is the standard equipment, ie the chassis control, led headlights and so on.

Bar your dislike to the gearbox, would you recommend the 240? I had a 1.6 TDI 'S' model from Europcar a couple of weeks back and was very impressed with the B8.

StumblingTrout
11-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I would.

It is a very good car. A good balance of performance and comfort. Decent discount levels too - I got about £6-7k off the price so shop around.