PDA

View Full Version : factory alarm acting up

da_bomb2001
12-10-2007, 04:09 AM
i have a 97 gulf and my factory alarm has been actin crazy since the other day when the battery died and i had to charge it...since then the power locks don't work yet in the manuall i can not find any fuse for the power locks..please someone if u can help let me know

thanks
jess

gazza57
12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
I suspect either your main battery or your alarm battery is probably duff, you said that your battery died and you charged it but I presume you mean the main car battery?
The symptoms you describe have all the characteristics of low supply volts.
You need to remove the battery and get a volt drop test on it to see if it's holding it's charge.
There is also a small battery in the alarm control unit, which also can fail, when the volts start getting low, there is usually a warning beeper.
Make sure your main battery is good and fully charged and if you still get the symptoms you described, it might be your alarm battery.
I have a feeling the alarm battery is non replaceable and you will have to replace the complete alarm box.
Hope this helps:fing02:
Gazza57

da_bomb2001
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
yeah it is the main battery...honestly i don't even care for the alarm is there a way to disconnect the alarm all together...i really don't need it ..i just don't wanna mess up the car in the process...is there anyway to cut the alarm without messing up the car?? and do u know if there is a fuse for the power locks or is the reson they are acting up because of the battery issue?? thanks so much

jess

Baron_Samedi
17-10-2007, 03:11 PM
In my experience you need a new battery to make the locks function correctly once more.

IDUAWV
24-10-2007, 01:54 PM
The fuse for the cigarette lighter and interior lights is also on the alarm/door locks. If you open the drivers door and pull back the rubber boot for the wires you may find exactly what I found, broken and shorted wires. There is a way to bypass the alarm but if its the same problem I had you won't need too if you fix or replace the wires