PDA

View Full Version : Question 2004 1.8T Avant A4 B6. Temperature sender issues

westview1
24-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Have recently acquired a 2004 A4 Avant. The temperature gauge ceased working, the engine management light came on and the cooling fans work all of the time the ignition is on. A mate has identified that the fault code is p0018 which from this forum suggust theG62 sensor
I've now replaced this this with a part from Fleabay. Having done so the engine manangement light is still on and the fans still runs as before.

Do I need to get my mate to reset the fault or should it clear itself ?

Doc B
25-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Yep you will need to reset the EML & delete the code. Run the car then re-scan for any recurrence of the code or new codes. If your temp gauge isn't working & cooling fans still running then I think you still have a fault somewhere - presumably a temp sensor. BUT I'm not an expert! Someone who knows (& understands) more will be along before long.

westview1
25-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Hi, thanks DocB.
You're right, having reset the EML that Fault lamp extinguished and the fans reverted to normal control. I did see elsewhere that it would have reverted itself after a number of miles. Anyone know if this is the case cos it would have saved driving off to see my mate to get it reset.

fourringsrus
25-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Not sure about the self re set , but dont be surprised if it goes again in the near future, these motors, any Audi really, dont like e-bay cheapies, go genuine, do it once.
Been there with b6 1.8t AVJ Engine, learnt the hard way

westview1
25-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Not sure about the self re set , but dont be surprised if it goes again in the near future, these motors, any Audi really, dont like e-bay cheapies, go genuine, do it once.
Been there with b6 1.8t AVJ Engine, learnt the hard way

Thanks for the reply. I agree, but
it was only a stop gap until we could get to an Audi dealership. The fleabay thing came next day. Having contorted ourselves fitting it I see why you suggest doing it once!!!!