PDA

View Full Version : Buying an A4 - General Questions!

Steve237
11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I've just stumbled across this forum and it looks like a great place to get some answers regarding my forthcoming A4 purchase...

Basically our company are under new management and the company car scheme has changed. Been given a measly £400 allowance (taxable) and told to buy a car 1 year old and have to sell it when it get's to 4 years old. It must be disel and have 4 doors. I have settled on the Audi A4... just need to decide whether to go for the A4 Saloon or A4 Avant, and choose the engine..

So, can anyone tell me:

a) Would the Saloon or Avant be best at holding it's value at re-sale at 4 years old?

b) What's the difference between a TDi and a TDi TDV?

c) Is Automatic/multitronic or manual going to give me the best fuel economy? (mainly motorway miles)

d) Would there be a big difference between a 2.0 TDi (170PS) and a 2.5 TDi standard engine?

Thanks for any answers/general advice!

Steve

a8 tech
11-10-2007, 09:39 PM
advise buy 140 a4 avant sline manual.170 to thirsty and dpf light will rag you off and 2.5 rare as rocking horse poo, but great engine and again avoid the multitronic at all cost.

Steve237
11-10-2007, 09:53 PM
advise buy 140 a4 avant sline manual.170 to thirsty and dpf light will rag you off and 2.5 rare as rocking horse poo, but great engine and again avoid the multitronic at all cost.

Cheers for the info. I currently drive a Golf GT TDi 130bph (51 plate), will the 140 Avant feel any quicker? What sort of difference fuel mpg would I see between 140 and 170PS?

Also, what dpf light and why avoid multitronic?

Thanks

ceperman
22-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Well, it's interesting how opinions vary. I've just bought myself a brand new A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDI 170PS (lucky me) and I'm as pleased as punch with it. I avoided the Sline because I felt the ride was too hard, which was also the opinion of Honest John in the Telegraph. Maybe my advancing years mean I prefer comfort now... Also I chose the 170 over the 140 partly because the official figures show it to be better on fuel, and cleaner! Oh, yes ... and it's quicker. I also wanted the cruise control because I found I used the one in my previous car so much.

Admittedly so far I'm disappointed with the fuel consumption I've got - but then again, I've only done 350 miles in it and I've read it'll take up to 20K miles for the engine to be fully run in and loosened up.

Steve237
22-10-2007, 07:19 PM
You'll all probably have a right old laugh at me now, but I've pretty much decided to get one of these new Skoda's!

I was looking at an Audi A4 but they are £20k a year old so I think I'm going to get Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI PD170 vRS - it's about £5k cheaper, same engine, does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and has a top speed of 140mph! Test drove it at the weekend and was doing 60mph round a roundabout - stuck to the road like glue - they are unbelievable - it's an Audi/VW with a Skoda badge!!! I reckon I can get over that. It's just won car of the year award!

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1226/52451900lx6.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5759/29161497ht3.jpg

faticus
22-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi, i have just returned a a4 tdi s-line after a WOMAN:zx11: rear ended my avant. I found this to be an excellent car. i didn`t find the suspension hard at all, six speed box strange at first but good all the same.
As for saloon or avant depends on what else you are gonna use it for. I tried the boot for size with the cases for hols while i had it - couldn`t get them in- i can in the avant !!! food for thought.:beerchug:

a8 tech
22-10-2007, 07:52 PM
You'll all probably have a right old laugh at me now, but I've pretty much decided to get one of these new Skoda's!

I was looking at an Audi A4 but they are £20k a year old so I think I'm going to get Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI PD170 vRS - it's about £5k cheaper, same engine, does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and has a top speed of 140mph! Test drove it at the weekend and was doing 60mph round a roundabout - stuck to the road like glue - they are unbelievable - it's an Audi/VW with a Skoda badge!!! I reckon I can get over that. It's just won car of the year award!

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1226/52451900lx6.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5759/29161497ht3.jpg
Hello Steve,fear not vrs are great and value for money is second to none.I repair audi vehicles all day from R8 to a2 and love audi but i drive octavia vrs 1.8 turbo estate and it feels brill.The only slight let down is the interior but once you have overcome that they are great.The days of people pulling ther faces at skoda have gone as they are a real strong brand now and a credit to vag group.:beerchug:

onzarob
22-10-2007, 08:17 PM

My brother in-law got the 2.0T (petrol) version and the handling is amazing so flat and the feedback unbelievable, had him/the car screaming in the lanes of Cornwall:D

I think he would of prefered the diesel though;)