PDA

View Full Version : SEB 150 Estate 18" Alloys AND Sports Suspension?

Wull_E
21-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Hi there.

I'm about to press the 'order button' for my new SEB 150 Estate lease car with 18" Oxford alloys.

I have a 320D Biz Touring currently which is firm but comfortable and I do quite a bit of A & B road mileage.

I'm concerned the Passat will be a bit body-rolly and I'm considering the 15mm lower sports suspension option.

Will that make it too crashy and firm or is it the price I pay for a keener drive?

StumblingTrout
21-02-2016, 11:27 PM
I had an F11 530d M Sport Touring & F25 X3 35d M Sport. Both were capable, but hard work to drive and far from relaxing.

On my test drive, I found the Passat to be easier to put through a set of bends and a more relaxing cruiser at speed. It's less flappable than a BMW in most respects.

I wouldn't worry about the lowered suspension, the extra ground clearance may be useful.

Just my opinion.

P Adams
22-02-2016, 12:29 AM
I have a GT saloon with 18" Oxford anthracite wheels and found the added option of ACC adaptive chassis control to be superb for the general handling on my journeys to work on A and B roads. Wouldn't be without it now.

EssexGonzo
22-02-2016, 10:44 AM
In my experience a Passat on sport springs will still be more forgiving than a 3-series on runflats. You'll be fine and it will look good but it will never handle as well as the beemer. But then little does.

gamichea
22-02-2016, 11:49 AM
I'd stick with standard; agree about the extra ground clearance.

I have ACC on my current CC (it was then a standard part of the GT spec.) and rarely use other than normal setting. Comfort is a bit too squishy/roly poly and sport too crashy especially on the roads round here.

I test drove an SEB on 17s and found it turned in markedly better than my CC on its winter tyres on 17s. I have not ticked the ACC box.

I have a B8 estate GT on order and would have gone for 17s had they been an option.

YawnGumbo
24-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Perhaps worth ticking the XDS box if you like to chuck your car around through a series of bends?

Wull_E
24-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks gents. All good relevant points.

ACC would be ideal but my allowance doesn't stretch that far! The XDS box is ticked YG and yes, a 3 series will be hard to beat in terms of fun for a business use vehicle. Had a test drive in 190 R-Line without ACC. That was pretty good apart from the far-too-narrow seats :D. Does the R-Line have a different spring rating to the GT/SE?

And apologies for the slow reply. Upgraded to Win10!

StumblingTrout
24-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Has anyone driven a Passat B8 both With & Without XDS by chance?

Curious as to the noticable difference in handling dynamics. My understanding is that the inside wheel gets braked slightly to force the car to turn in harder so it makes it feel sharper?

When I test drove, I had an R Line 190 DSG which probably didn't have it, and then a 240 BiTDI which has XDS as standard. I was very impressed with the latter, but the former I didn't push at all with my pregnant wife and pregnant sales advisor both in the car...

Haven't actually test driven the configuration I have on order (BiTDI Estate GT) - only the R Line BiTDI Saloon, though I suspect similar - so not sure about the spring rating. I assumed they were the same. Might be wrong.

Wull_E
25-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I friend of mine has a mk7 Golf GTD with XDS as standard fit and reckons the grip through twisty stuff if superb and never experiences understeer unless it's particularly slippy. That said, a Golf isn't a Passat!

Wull_E
05-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Update after 2 months ownership.

I'm really pleased with my new Passat.

The sport suspension and XDS diff have turned out to be money well spent. Handles really well with spot on grip and only crashy on really poor surfaces, but then most cars would be.

Bags of space and the variable boot floor is a great feature.

My only gripes are an over soft DMF and the stop-start catches me out frequently - I've never stalled a car so many times! :Blush2:

gamichea
05-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Really pleased you're really pleased! Its always good to find one's assessment/judgement is spot on, especially when its for something you're going to have to live with for a while.

Interested to read your comments re stop-start. Assume you have the manual gearbox because I have found it really very good in combination with the DSG. It restarts with the slightest pressure on the accelerator and pulls away without hesitation. I suspect that's because the electronics up the engine speed from idle to about 1000rpm just as they do when trickling along with no pressure on the accelerator.

In 50 years of owning cars this is my first auto and I do not regret the choice for a moment. Although I fundamentally chose the auto for its intrinsic benefits I suspected it would yield extra benefits by integrating very well with the latest electronic systems such as stop-start and adaptive cruise and so it has proved.

4NT
14-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Wull E, I have my SEB with Oxford and 15mm springs coming in October. I'm glad your choice worked out well, helps me look forward to mine more. Do you have any pictures to share, I'm intrigued to know what visual appeal the springs have? Thanks.

Wull_E
05-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Hi 4NT,

The 15mm just takes a bit of the gap out of the arches. The stop-start thing is just me not anticipating the bite point. :rolleyes:

4NT
06-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks Wull_E. Can you see the difference between yours and others you've seen on the road? Assuming not many people opt for the springs that is...

MattB247
09-09-2016, 06:33 AM
My R line with 19s looks a little more planted with the lowered springs, and they don't firm up the ride so there's no downside that way. 31534

4NT
13-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Looks very very nice. I'll be posting pics up when mine arrives early October. Thanks.