PDA

View Full Version : Better Brakes

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Just a quick question. After having my current q7 for close to 18months now, and having changed the brakes once on its service, I'm still not totally happy with the stopping power of them.
Is there a way I can have them altered to have more "bite"? And if not, can anyone recommend a way for me to upgrade them? If so, what would/could I upgrade them to? (NOT Carbon Ceramics!)
What does a brake upgrade involve cost and time wise?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

zollaf
18-02-2016, 04:37 PM
what are already fitted, brembo 18z ? what pads did you fit and what discs are they ? bigger brakes won't give any more bite but better pads might.

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 08:43 PM
what are already fitted, brembo 18z ? what pads did you fit and what discs are they ? bigger brakes won't give any more bite but better pads might.
Well to not sound like an absolute Susan, but I'm not sure of the actual specifications of the brakes. They've only been changed once and they were fitted with an exact replacement of what it came with from the factory.
Where can I find out the brakes spec? I think for certain that they are Brembo's and are 17mm thick? (I sound so dumb right now! 🙈)

zollaf
18-02-2016, 08:46 PM
what size wheels do you have. there are 17 or 18 z calipers, both 6 pot but for 17 or 18 inch wheels. take a pic if not sure. but you can't really get any better.

Gazwould
18-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Bigger brake discs most certainly do give better bite , it's the law of physics !

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 11:50 PM
what size wheels do you have. there are 17 or 18 z calipers, both 6 pot but for 17 or 18 inch wheels. take a pic if not sure. but you can't really get any better.
I have 21" wheels.

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 11:57 PM
Bigger brake discs most certainly do give better bite , it's the law of physics !
And so can I get bigger discs and matching pads? And are there any benefits to drilled discs beyond there having a better cooling ability under heavy use?

zollaf
19-02-2016, 10:21 AM
it all depends on what is already fitted. bigger discs and bigger calipers may leave you with a spongy pedal because the master cylinder will only push so much fluid through, so yes, they may stop better but the pedal may be closer to the floor, as i said, it depends on whats already there, 17 or 18 z's. yes you could spank 4 grand or so on something massive to fill your 21's, but they won't always be better than what you already have. remember that bigger pads and bigger discs need more effort to press them together. if you can lock the wheels on a good road in the dry (or get the abs to kick in) then your current brakes are doing all they can. bigger brakes , drilled, grooved etc will just handle more heat, so yes, if you are getting brake fade through the twisty bits then bigger brakes are needed.

Q7newbie
19-02-2016, 12:12 PM
That's very insightful. I think my main issue is I drive my mums Range Rover Autobiography (2015) which weighs more than the Q7 and I drove her old 2012 Mercedes-Benz GL, which too is heavier. But both "felt" like they had a stronger more immediate stopping power than the Q7. I feel like I always have to push the pedal harder and further on the Q7 to get the kind of stoppage the other give me with less effort.
I'm probably wrong statistically, as reports state that the Q7 has one of the best if not the best stopping power of all large SUV.

Gavin0478
19-02-2016, 12:15 PM
I find breaking performance is fantastic in mine but I do suffer from fade. I fitted new pads to mine last year as the discs were only half worn, next time I may look at grooved and dimpled discs.
What size rears do you have as I have the larger rear calipers that are still brembo's but are the newer enclosed porsche style and not the same as the fronts where you just knock the pin out to change.

Dan@JDL
24-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Just a quick question. After having my current q7 for close to 18months now, and having changed the brakes once on its service, I'm still not totally happy with the stopping power of them.
Is there a way I can have them altered to have more "bite"? And if not, can anyone recommend a way for me to upgrade them? If so, what would/could I upgrade them to? (NOT Carbon Ceramics!)
What does a brake upgrade involve cost and time wise?

Thanks.

Do you use OEM pads ?
If you need more initial bite, I recommend ceramic brake pads like Pagid RS, or non-ceramic like Ferodo DS2500. You will feel big difference compared to OEM pads.
If you can PM me what model of Q7 you have, I can check pads for you.

Q7newbie
24-02-2016, 12:21 PM
So far I've used OEM everything. But I'd like more bite. Although now, I'm going to wonder on cost worth as I'm NEARLY about to take the plunge and order the new Q7! 🙈🙈🙈

Dan@JDL
24-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Can you confirm what year is your Q7 ? I hope I can help :)

Q7newbie
05-03-2016, 01:14 AM
It's 2014 plate

Dan@JDL
05-03-2016, 08:42 AM
These brake pads give you much more initial bite, and should solve your problem Ferodo DS2500 front pads FCP1626H - JDL-Brakes.com (http://www.jdl-brakes.com/ferodo-ds2500-front-pads-fcp1626h.html)

Gazwould
05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I wish people wouldn't recommend these DS2500, dusty as hell and when you take them around a track they poo themselves all over the discs leaving a vibration causing deposit .

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attachments/dsc00470_zpsdd516868-jpg.68395/

Dan@JDL
05-03-2016, 10:32 AM
I wish people wouldn't recommend these DS2500, dusty as hell and when you take them around a track they poo themselves all over the discs leaving a vibration causing deposit .

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attachments/dsc00470_zpsdd516868-jpg.68395/

If DS2500 are choosen for this kind of you what you need, and if DS2500 are properly bedded in, will not cause any problems !
We sold many for heavy cars like Cayenne, Q7, and Land Crusier, and never had any complain.
There is same or even lower dust level as others performance compounds.

Gavin0478
05-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Shame there are none available for both the smaller or larger rear brakes for reasons of balance.

Gazwould
05-03-2016, 12:09 PM
If DS2500 are choosen for this kind of you what you need, and if DS2500 are properly bedded in, will not cause any problems !
We sold many for heavy cars like Cayenne, Q7, and Land Crusier, and never had any complain.
There is same or even lower dust level as others performance compounds.

Got to love these companies protocol when they've never had a problem . Plenty of Google info about DS2500 leaving vibration causing deposits .

Reminds me of a fencer of 15 years + claiming to me he had never had a post come loose , well this one has !! Bet he still goes round saying "never" , lol .

Dan@JDL
05-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Got to love these companies protocol when they've never had a problem . Plenty of Google info about DS2500 leaving vibration causing deposits .

Reminds me of a fencer of 15 years + claiming to me he had never had a post come loose , well this one has !! Bet he still goes round saying "never" , lol .

We sell a few of other brands like Pagid, Mintex, Endless, Winmax, and each brake pad, each performance compound can damage brake disc, if it is not choosen in accordance with intendend use. There can be many other reasons why DS2500 left deposit on your discs what caused vibration.