PDA

View Full Version : Golf factory fitted phone kit problem

mikesewart
11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi guys,

Just got myself a new Golf GTi, and when I ordered it I went for the factory fitted phone kit. After taking delivery I bought the Nokia 6230i cradle. However, upon fitting, it charges the phone but that's about it! I.e. the phone simply thinks it is plugged into a charger.

I have upgraded the firmware on the phone and tried a friend's Nokia (same model) which has the same problems. Has anyone seen this before? If not, it's back to VW.....

Cheers, Mike.

SmithGolfGTIMK5
07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Mike

What was the outcome of your factory fitted phone kit problem. Did the dealer manage to fix it?

Cheers

mikesewart
15-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi there,

I took it into VW and they said that the phone system was so new that they didn't know how to fix it themselves! They then said there were a few other people in the country also having the same problem. So I left with it not working as they said they needed to contact HQ. However, when I took it home I started playing around with it and managed to get it to work! I wrote down what I did and emailed it to VW as they were keen to find out how to sync the phone as well! Let me know if you want to know how it is done.

Cheers, Mike.

SmithGolfGTIMK5
25-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Mike

Quick update - the dealer contacted me and says that the VW factory telephone prep I have in my car doesn't have a mute wire installed. The dealer is saying it is not a warranty issue but "they can give me a price to look at it". I feel terrible having paid for the factory prep then paying for a cradle only to find that it doesn't work then the dealer saying it is not a warranty matter. Anyway, I will struggle on - don't let the technology get you down and all that.. I also spoke with the import agent I bought the car from - they are saying it is a warranty issue. I think my only option is to write / call VW customer services (it is after all a problem with a brand new VW made very recently in VW's factory...

If you have any ideas on any solution without going via our friends at the VW dealer network or VW customer services that would be great as I am slowly losing the plot...

Cheers
SmithGolfGTIMK5

Sylvester
26-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Import is the problem, maybe a holiday to the supplying dealer.

mikesewart
26-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi there,

The fact is the UK dealer is wrong. You have bought a car from VW in Europe. The car you have bought is identical to that being shipped to UK dealers every day. The warranty you have is a EU warranty with VW. The fact that the factory fitted car kit is "not fit for purpose" due it suffering from a "manufactures fault" means VW should be fixing it under the EU warranty terms.

If I was in your position I would take it to another UK VW dealer. If you have no joy there, I would write to VW UK and explain the issue. I am sure VW UK will instruct the dealer to fix the problem within the EU warranty terms at no cost to you.

Bear in mind, when I had my issue with my Golf GTi phone kit, my local VW dealer looked at it without question and my car is a European import.

Cheers, Mike.

PS - Does the phone kit work apart from the mute option?

SmithGolfGTIMK5
22-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi Mike - quick update - I contacted VW Customer services and they wrote to me confirming this was not a warranty matter and that I had to take it up with the company I bought the car from (point of sale). I have now done this and they are prepared to meet reasonable costs in sorting the factory telephone prep out so that it works.

My only problems now are:

1. My local dealer won't provide a quote to fix it (because they don't know how long it will take).
2. I don't know how to get hold of an expert on VW Golf MK5 telephone prep (I wrongly presumed all the experts would be part of or known to the UK dealer network).. what I could do is drive to Germany and knock on the door of the factory and ask the communications installer to look at it in the car park. VW Audi Group - one of the biggest car companies in the world and they can't fix their own factory telephone preparation.. fantastic. Anyway if anybody knows an expert in the Glasgow area, this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sylvester
23-04-2008, 01:40 AM
I'd be surprised if the correct wiring loom hadn't been installed but mistakes can be made. It may be that an option to enable the phone prep hasn't been entered within the ecu at the factory.