PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Q7 buyer - help and advice please!

greensgr
17-02-2016, 12:06 AM
Hello there.

Looking to trade in my A4 and purchase a used Q7 to accommodate my ever growing family! I have a couple of options and would really appreciate some expert advice / valued opinions on the best to choose.

First would be an Oct 2010 registered 3.0 TDI - the 240hp higher CO2 version - with a low mileage of 19k and great spec.

Second would be a Jan 2012 registered 3.0 TDI - the 245hp lower CO2 (lower tax) and better consumption version - with a higher mileage of 50k and a slightly lighter spec.

I am anticipating keeping the car a further 7 years at least. Mileage c.10k a year.

So my question really is, is there a better choice here? Is either engine a better reliability bet? Is the low mileage on the first a particulate filter issue waiting to happen? Is an extra 30k on the clock really much of an issue in the grand scheme of things? Would the better spec be a better choice? Based on knowledge or experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Q7newbie
17-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Hey, good on you for wanting to join the family!
As for your post: spec and age of vs mileage. I have a few questions
- what matters more to you: spec or mileage?
- when you say "higher spec", what exactly do you mean?, spec is only as good as it's benefit and use to the driver. Spec for vanities sake is folly. So ask yourself what spec you MUST have.
- What is the price difference? If the cheaper of the two has lower spec, you could consider upgrading some features via VCDS or 3rd party parts.
- as for mileage~DPF issue. High mileage alone doesn't ensure lower chances of DPF failure as driving habits play the biggest influence. So unless you personally know the previous owner, any 2md hand purchase of a diesel engine is ALWAYS a DPF gamble.
-Overall , across the range reliability is to the most part quintessentially Audi high, as long as your purchase was well loved by the previous owner.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk