PDA

View Full Version : 2016 2nd Gen Audi Q7 272HP MPG

Skippy73
15-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Just wondered what the people who have the new 272HP Q7 what MPG your getting?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nemo78
15-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Umm mine isn't great compared to some of the others here but it's my city driving commute that hurts!

Motorways can get just over 40mpg but daily drive can vary between 18-25mpg unfortunately but hey ho with diesel so cheap it's all good [emoji23]

I remember not so long ago paying around £1.35/l for Super Unleaded and getting the same MPG in my old car [emoji5][emoji1360]

deano179
15-02-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm tending to see around 31 mpg on average, have seen over 40 mpg on a run once, but my car has only done 3000 miles so a long way to go before its fully loosened up!

Gavin0478
15-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Thats not really that different to my first gen 4.2tdi!

Skippy73
15-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Yeah I thought things would be better than that.

chrisjerman
16-02-2016, 03:12 PM
We went from the later 2011 q7 3.0 tdi with a claimed 198gco2 to the new q7 272ps engine with a claimed 153gco2 I think ,so you would imagine and improvement in mpg of around 20% given we are comparing their own figures with their own figures . The long term trip on the old one read 29mpg when we sold it , the new one is currently at 28mpg ! To be fair the old one will have summer months included in the long term trip where as the new one only has two winter months thus far and the new engine may bed in yet as it is only up to 2000 miles thus far where as the old one was at 88ooo . But still it would appear wool has truly been pulled over ones eyes . I would never expect to achieve anywhere near the test figures in real life due to temperature ,hills, wind resistance and real axle being disconnected all going against real world figures vs test figures but surely they should bare some kind of benchmarking purpose as else what is the point of these tests .
Given that the new car is lighter it must follow that the new engine is less fuel efficient than the old one ,not better . This would bear out with engines in the agricultural world where every time the emission regs tighten the fuel efficiency has reduced which makes sense if you are running engines out of tune and putting exhaust gas back into the air intake etc . The car world appeared to buck this trend , or did they ,maybe they just kept tricking the test figures , I see now in their literature small print it states the test figures are just provisional and will be revised . Whats needed is a real world test

deano179
17-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Following my previous post I have just driven from Norwich to Bristol (240 miles) using Adaptive Cruise Control at the speed limit all the way and only managed 37 mpg!

Q7newbie
17-02-2016, 01:44 AM
We went from the later 2011 q7 3.0 tdi with a claimed 198gco2 to the new q7 272ps engine with a claimed 153gco2 I think ,so you would imagine and improvement in mpg of around 20% given we are comparing their own figures with their own figures . The long term trip on the old one read 29mpg when we sold it , the new one is currently at 28mpg ! To be fair the old one will have summer months included in the long term trip where as the new one only has two winter months thus far and the new engine may bed in yet as it is only up to 2000 miles thus far where as the old one was at 88ooo . But still it would appear wool has truly been pulled over ones eyes . I would never expect to achieve anywhere near the test figures in real life due to temperature ,hills, wind resistance and real axle being disconnected all going against real world figures vs test figures but surely they should bare some kind of benchmarking purpose as else what is the point of these tests .
Given that the new car is lighter it must follow that the new engine is less fuel efficient than the old one ,not better . This would bear out with engines in the agricultural world where every time the emission regs tighten the fuel efficiency has reduced which makes sense if you are running engines out of tune and putting exhaust gas back into the air intake etc . The car world appeared to buck this trend , or did they ,maybe they just kept tricking the test figures , I see now in their literature small print it states the test figures are just provisional and will be revised . Whats needed is a real world test
Hi, contrary to the Audi claim of over 300kg weight loss, that claim is "technically" true. What they fail to say andost people don't know is that, the weight loss they're touting is only on the cars with 3rd Row Seating deleted and no Air Suspension. If your car has either one or both of these specs (common on most UK cars) then the weight loss in contrast to the outgoing Q7 is barely 100kg (the weight of a big man).
The best MPG any real world driving will give of the new Q7 is mid 40's. A customer of mine has put 12000miles on her new Q7 already. She does mostly motorway commutes on low traffic road(M74- Hamilton to Carlisle) and the most she's recorded driving at 62mph on cruise control is 47mpg.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

NickTyler
18-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi, contrary to the Audi claim of over 300kg weight loss, that claim is "technically" true. What they fail to say andost people don't know is that, the weight loss they're touting is only on the cars with 3rd Row Seating deleted and no Air Suspension. If your car has either one or both of these specs (common on most UK cars) then the weight loss in contrast to the outgoing Q7 is barely 100kg (the weight of a big man).
The best MPG any real world driving will give of the new Q7 is mid 40's. A customer of mine has put 12000miles on her new Q7 already. She does mostly motorway commutes on low traffic road(M74- Hamilton to Carlisle) and the most she's recorded driving at 62mph on cruise control is 47mpg.

So you are saying that the 3rd row of seats weigh 200kg? or is that with the air suspension as well? I heard the 3rd row weigh 75kg so still a pretty decent 225kg saving if you don't have the other options? I have aso seen 345kg saving with 3rd row deleted touted around in a few places.

I am picking mine up tomorrow. 7 seats but no air suspension. I have come from a 2.0tdi Q3 which did 37mpg overall. If I get anything over 30mpg in the new one I will be happy and also a bit impressed.

chrisjerman
18-02-2016, 11:14 AM
So I had to go to a meeting last night about twenty miles away and so thought I would give it a go and see just how high I could get the mpg , we live on top of a steep hill and on the way to the meeting took all A roads once off the hill but still rolling countryside and not dual carriageway , got to the meeting and averaged 43mpg , so pretty good :-) . However I had to drive like an absolute nun and no doubt annoyed a lot of over road users , coasting up to junctions from miles away means that you do half the coast at around 30mph or less and really annoy people behind , then accelerate up to 56 mph over the course of about a mile doing all the up shifts manual to ensure revs never exceed 1400 . Painful is not the word ! However my destination was 700 feet lower than home which would of helped , so I reset the trip to see what I could manage for the way home , I took the direct route home which is all B roads and managed 43 mpg again right up until 2 miles from home when I had to go back up the hill to home it then dropped to 39.5mpg by the time I got home . I have now satisfied myself that the car is capable of slightly better mpg than our old q7 in which I never beat 42mpg and then only if the run had a lot of dual carriageway cruising . However I won't be driving like that again , it just hurt and you spend far too much time watching the revs and not the road !

Skippy73
18-02-2016, 11:30 AM
So you are saying that the 3rd row of seats weigh 200kg? or is that with the air suspension as well? I heard the 3rd row weigh 75kg so still a pretty decent 225kg saving if you don't have the other options? I have aso seen 345kg saving with 3rd row deleted touted around in a few places.

I am picking mine up tomorrow. 7 seats but no air suspension. I have come from a 2.0tdi Q3 which did 37mpg overall. If I get anything over 30mpg in the new one I will be happy and also a bit impressed.

I'm the same as you Nick, if I get over 30mpg I will be happy. You spec sounds similar to mine I ordered 3rd row seat but no air suspension. What is the spec of you car? 272PS? Any extras? I would be interested to know your thoughts on the car after its first week etc?

NickTyler
18-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Skippy.

It is a night black Sline 272 with tech pack and the 20" star wheels. I only went in last week and they had one unregistered in stock so I can pick it up tomorrow. I haven't even driven one yet! Hopefully you will not have to wait too long.

Skippy73
18-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Skippy.

It is a night black Sline 272 with tech pack and the 20" star wheels. I only went in last week and they had one unregistered in stock so I can pick it up tomorrow. I haven't even driven one yet! Hopefully you will not have to wait too long.

22nd April mine is due so not to long. I also went night black 272. Couldn't afford the metallic. I went tech pack, ambient lighting and smartphone interface. I left the standard S line 20" wheels on.

Really looking forward to hearing what you think as very similar to mine.

NickTyler
18-02-2016, 11:59 AM
I really wanted the ambient lighting but the deal I got on this car was too good to miss. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 03:50 PM

No the 3rd row doesn't weight 200+kgs! I meant the combined weight of the 3rd row, and air suspension and towing gear do.
Granted if you don't have the towing kit and an suspension, then you will have saved 120-140kg. The 3rd row of seats are heavier than you'd think though. Heavier than the last generation due to the fact they are automated. All in all, the MPG on the new Q7 is never going to be more than 7-8 mpg better than the old one at the very most when driven identically.
Which is not even close to manufacturer claims, nor is it that great in general when you consider the efficiency tech VWAG have at their disposal.

LUCKILY, most of us Q7 owners don't really give that much of a toss about MPG! If we did, then we really wouldn't have bought a Q7 if fuel frugality was high on our list of needs. 😉

Q7newbie
18-02-2016, 03:51 PM
So I had to go to a meeting last night about twenty miles away and so thought I would give it a go and see just how high I could get the mpg , we live on top of a steep hill and on the way to the meeting took all A roads once off the hill but still rolling countryside and not dual carriageway , got to the meeting and averaged 43mpg , so pretty good :-) . However I had to drive like an absolute nun and no doubt annoyed a lot of over road users , coasting up to junctions from miles away means that you do half the coast at around 30mph or less and really annoy people behind , then accelerate up to 56 mph over the course of about a mile doing all the up shifts manual to ensure revs never exceed 1400 . Painful is not the word ! However my destination was 700 feet lower than home which would of helped , so I reset the trip to see what I could manage for the way home , I took the direct route home which is all B roads and managed 43 mpg again right up until 2 miles from home when I had to go back up the hill to home it then dropped to 39.5mpg by the time I got home . I have now satisfied myself that the car is capable of slightly better mpg than our old q7 in which I never beat 42mpg and then only if the run had a lot of dual carriageway cruising . However I won't be driving like that again , it just hurt and you spend far too much time watching the revs and not the road !
You're a brave man! I take my hat off to you! That kind of driving is akin to self-harm!