PDA

View Full Version : Question Rattle/knocking noise.

The Technician
15-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Hi,

I have a rattle / knocking noise coming from the front of my car (louder when engine is cold), it looks like it is one of the wheels on the front belt the shiny metal one in the middle as it moves about side to side, can anyone tell me what it is and is it ok to still drive until I get it sorted?

Cheers.

Scott K
15-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Looks likely to be the auxiliary belt pulley or tensioner. Serpentine belt which drives the alternator. No idea how good it is to drive with it. Have heard some can give up completely but maybe crasher or zollaf will be along to give you a definite answer.

zollaf
15-02-2016, 04:11 PM
aye, thats the tensioner for the aux belt, but why is it jumping about so much ? probably because the alternator clutch pulley is jammed. test this first before changing a tensioner thats probably not broken.

The Technician
25-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Well it seams that it is not the tensioner but the start of the DMF going!
Does anyone know how much it is to do this and do I do the clutch at the same time while the gear box is off?

cameron1
25-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Well it seams that it is not the tensioner but the start of the DMF going!
Does anyone know how much it is to do this and do I do the clutch at the same time while the gear box is off?

Its false economy if you just have the DMF replaced. You are best of having the clutch replaced at the same time.

I am guessing prices for both parts would be in the region of £350.

When buying these parts, do not buy from you local motor factors

Let us know how you get on

Cameron

warp_speed
25-02-2016, 11:58 AM
On my B7 my Audi dealer took £750 for both the DMF and clutch, supplied and fitted. This did include some good will I think. It might be more expensive if the car is a quattro as the rear prop has to come off. There might be a fixed price somewhere on Audi's website. I'm assuming it might be a similar price for your car.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html#/fixPrice

The Technician
25-02-2016, 01:12 PM
I have had one price from my local indi garage and it is £999 which is LUK Clutch Kit + Dual Mass Flywheel Holding a 2 year Parts and Labour Guarantee.

The Technician
25-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Audi are asking £1791.02 for clutch & flywheel, parts only for the flywheel £842.02!!!

Scott K
25-02-2016, 02:35 PM
My wife's one had it done last year at about 40k. It was under warranty so I only had to sign for it. I. Sure the parts bill was about £850 but that may have included a rear light lens which was also replaced under warranty. It's a known problem so you may get some goodwill!

warp_speed
25-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Audi are asking £1791.02 for clutch & flywheel, parts only for the flywheel £842.02!!!

What?!?! Tell them to get stuffed at that price

Did you quote the "Affordable servicing" on the Audi website, that's gotta be cheaper than that quote.

The Technician
26-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Part of that is the £799 affordable pricing for the clutch!! the rest is for the DMF !!

warp_speed
26-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Part of that is the £799 affordable pricing for the clutch!! the rest is for the DMF !!

Gee wizz, sorry didn't realise. I would go independent then for that kind of money. I think one of the techs on this forum quoted a place that sell genuine LUK flywheels and clutch kits and were the cheapest around. https://www.buypartsby.co.uk

You could get the parts yourself and go for a decent independent.

The Technician
26-02-2016, 11:33 AM
I have even tried the price match bit but they came back and said the parts only were £1066.27 with no labour and there days labour would bring it to more than they quoted :-( so it is the independant garage which is wanting £999, with a LUK clutch & flywheel kit.

The Technician
04-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Just an update had the DMF & clutch replaced at Swift Motor Engineering in Newcastle, at a more resonable price than Audi, they have done a great job, no more knocking sound :-)

mtbkitch
05-03-2016, 11:20 AM
How much was the final bill if you don't mind me asking?

The Technician
05-03-2016, 12:31 PM
How much was the final bill if you don't mind me asking?
It was £999.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk