PDA

View Full Version : A4 Sport 30tdi 272 Multitronic not STronic

Jeci
11-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi Guys,

Now that I have my my mind for the A4 30tdi 272 Sport, I noticed that it does not come with STronic but with Multitronic.

i cannot understand that while the A6 is STronic The A4 is not.

Audi - Glossary - Multitronic (https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/m/multitronic.html)

i am curious to know your take on this.

thanks again for your feedback.

Gazwould
11-02-2016, 09:09 AM
Because Multitronic will be more reliable ?

S-Tronic outside of a 5 year warranty is going to cause some heartache .

Gazwould
11-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Here's an S-Tronic replacement bill at a cheap labour rate , the boxes aren't on the shelf in UK as such an expensive unit.

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v47/sixpot/gearbox%20invoice%20edit_zpsufwlwjh9.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

satsu
11-02-2016, 10:56 AM
In the UK the 3.0TDI 272 only comes with the Tiptronic box, which is an off-the-shelf 8 speed ZF auto unit used in lots of cars. The Multironic (CVT) box isn't on any of the new A4 models. Here's what it says in the brochure:

Tiptronic 8-speed transmissionFor engines with torque higher than 400 Nm, Tiptronic enhances the quattro experience with improved traction and driving dynamics. The gear-shifts between the eight speeds are achieved smoothly, quickly and are always appropriate for the current driving situation.

The dealer didn't know / wouldn't be drawn on it but I'd speculate that they've had long-term durability problems with the S Tronic box, especially given the 600Nm of torque on the new engine.

eoin27
15-02-2016, 01:01 AM
100% no Audi A4 B9 will come with a Multitronic gearbox. S-Tronic or Tiptronic only.

The B8 A5 is the only Audi left still being produced with a multitronic as an optional gearbox for FWD.

AGW82
15-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Now that I have my my mind for the A4 30tdi 272 Sport, I noticed that it does not come with STronic but with Multitronic.

i cannot understand that while the A6 is STronic The A4 is not.

Audi - Glossary - Multitronic (https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/m/multitronic.html)

i am curious to know your take on this.

thanks again for your feedback.

Just for clarity it is a Tiptronic box not Multitronic, they are two completely different propositions..

It's because they don't have an s-tronic that fits that engine, that will handle the torque..

Hold on I hear you say... The A6 has an s-tronic box with the 272PS engine... But the 272PS in the A6 is down on torque compared to the engine in the A4 and Q7.. I believe the s-tronic in the A6 is already at its limits, and Audi didn't want to risk the extra torque after they had changed the engine map to deliver more torque. It's the same reason the new S4 will also have the tiptronic and not s-tronic.

Alan02
16-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I think the 7 speed S tronic box is suitable up to 600 Nm if i remember correctly.

AGW82
18-02-2016, 03:01 PM
I think the 7 speed S tronic box is suitable up to 600 Nm if i remember correctly.

Figures between 550 and 600 are usually quoted, I think some of the major tuning houses have suggested it could run above 600 with the right software tweaks.

I'm sure Audi didn't want it runninng on their perceived safe limit which is why they went doen the ZF route. There was a rumour that a future verison of the S might get an ungraded version of the S-Tronic.. It remains to be seen if the new RS gets a Tiptronic or S-Tronic..