PDA

View Full Version : Real World MPG

MJC_OK
08-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Hi all

interested to know what mpg you're all getting on your new A4s

After just over a week of ownership (2.0 TDI 190 S Line), I'm avergaing 44.9mpg (daily commute is 16 miles each way, half urban half motorway), somewhat short of the claimed 64.2. I usually fill up £30 a week, and that's lasted me a total of almost 500 miles, which I'm pretty happy with.

Also, not sure if the B9 has a smaller fuel tank than the B9, but £30 of diesel now takes me from the red to 3/4 full whereas the B8 would only be 1/2 full, bearing in mind diesel prices have risen slightly where I am over the last month.

Eshrules
08-02-2016, 03:05 PM
How are you calculating your MPG?

Official figures are rarely obtained in real life, it's typical to expect between 75% & 80% of the book figures.

MJC_OK
08-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Just using the Trip computer tbh, I know it's not the greatest but it's a decent indication. I realise it's never going to be up there with the official figures, just wondered how close people were getting

Eshrules
08-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Just using the Trip computer tbh, I know it's not the greatest but it's a decent indication. I realise it's never going to be up there with the official figures, just wondered how close people were getting

Unfortunately, it's not - you need to complete brim>brim calculations to find your true MPG across a couple of tanks.

Far easier to judge real world vs book and if there's something amiss it'll be a lot easier to see.

xtremist
08-02-2016, 04:40 PM
The standard tank is 45 litres. When I ordered mine, I opted for the the Free 55 litre fuel tank and larger adblue tank (25l IIRC).

I have logged the MPG on my last couple of cars on Fuelly (iOS app) and will be doing the same when I get my A4 in 3 weeks.

rowdy-999
08-02-2016, 05:05 PM
So many contributing factors for a MPG figure. Temp, terrain, road type, tyres, and most importantly driving style.
With a little effort I'm sure you could get high 40s.

MJC_OK
08-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Yeah, perhaps I should have called the thread "what does your trip computer say and how heavy footed are you?" [emoji16]

Funnily enough, on an unusually quiet commute home this evening the TC was showing 52.8mpg - a personal best (mostly doing 62 on the motorway mind)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eshrules
09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
The issue we have on VWAF when somebody asks about average MPG is that rarely is it ever calculated in the same way.

What we then end up with is a thread where some are using instant DIS MPG readouts, some are using average DIS MPG readouts and some are using brim>brim calculations. The latter being the most accurate.

Once you've got everybody calculating it the same (and most accurate) way, you can then begin to compare the MPGs achieved.

That's after you've taken into account factors such as location, time of year/temperature, ratio of urban:extra urban & mileage covered - as rowdy touched on.

Fuelly will have listings for your vehicle, that may be a good place to start and in the mean time, log those tanks so you can calculate your true MPG ;)

MJC_OK
09-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Boy is my face red :) I'll take a look at that app, thanks Esh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk