PDA

View Full Version : Tickover

cabriosteve
11-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi my 1993 Cabriolet 2.0E whilst on tickover the revs now and then just drop and the engine almost cuts out (and sometimes does), any ideas
:1zhelp:

paul b
19-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Could be a number of things. Try starting with new spark plugs, if it needs them.
Paul

scotty33
20-10-2007, 12:20 AM
have a look around all the intake pipes for leaks, also clean the insides of the throttle body, i.e all around the butterflies especially.

cabriosteve
21-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks Paul B & Scotty33.

I have had a full service on the car therefore I know the plugs are new. I have had a look around the intake pipes, no splits or loose ones. The inside of the throttle body is clean.

Sometimes she idles fine then suddunly she will start dropping the revs, sometimes so low it will cut out.
:confused:

Crasher
21-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Did you get a fault code report when the car was serviced?

scotty33
21-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Does it run ok when warming up, then start misbehaving when warmed up? Are there any other symptoms, ie is the fuel consumption normal?

guggy1973
29-10-2007, 12:39 PM
hi cabriosteve. i had same problem with my 95 2.0E.{has yours got ABK 1984cc engine?} if you remove dash panel under steering wheel and look up behind dash you will find relay 30.i replaced it and that sorted it.audi part no for relay is 165 906 381.

cabriosteve
29-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks Scotty33, it does run ok when warming up.

Thanks guggy1973, I will try replacing that relay.

Dollso
02-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I have a similar problem with my 1995 Golf 1.8 Driver (ADZ) It runs fine when heating up, but once warm starts to mess around. Will get a loss of power every now and then for a few seconds (revs don't go up, they start to drop as if I removed my foot from the gas) Also Idles high (1100rpm) and drops now and then to nearly cut out. Lastly whilst in neutral if you rev the car then take your foot off the gas the idle drops like a brick to almost cut off then sorts itself out to 1100rpm (again, does not do this when it's cold) petrol usage seems higher than it should as well. NOTE: Whilst checking the fuses I noticed my cars Engine control unit relay is missing (according to the Hynes manual it's in position 15 next to fuel pump relay)

Dollso
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok I checked with VW dealer and the ADZ model does not have a ECU relay, also took apart the injector and cleaned it. still having the occasional drop in power whilst cruising and when on roundabouts and lights etc the car losses power and sometimes cuts out, when I feel this happening I take my foot of the accelerator and try again and the power picks up again.. also in neutral or with clutch in if I touch the accelerator and increase the revs then take my foot away the car almost cuts out (but again only when the car has heated up) anyone any ideas? could this be air leak around throttle/injector body, distributor cap or arm, faulty air temp sensor or faulty injector or even a faulty fuel pump?

scotty33
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I dont know if your car has a lambda probe? If it has it could be at fault

Dollso
06-11-2007, 12:22 AM
I got hold of the VAG-COM software and cables and also the Elsawin software and got to work on it today. VAG-COM showed "00282 - throttle position actuator implausible signal - Intermittent" ran all the different tests on the car and they all passed, so then I unplugged the 6 pin connector from the throttle position sensor and tested the resistance across pins 1+6 (as described in Elsawin), I did this test to make sure that the fault was not within the cables; the results should have been between 3~200 ohms, I got an open circuit most of the time but once or twice got over 1000 M/ohms! so got quote from VW dealer for new part at £135, GSF do the same part for £70, but before I buy it I think I will cut the old part open and see if maybe it is just the metal contacts needing bent back in inside. I'll post back when I have tried this. Cheers. PS. all relays and the Lamba sensor checked out OK.