PDA

View Full Version : B9 Audi A4 - Audi Sound System

joshhunte
30-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Hello, I am having issues with the Audi Sound System which is standard in the S-Line trim.
Having looked at the specifications it is 180 Watt speaker system with 10 speakers - 2 in all 4 doors, 1 central speaker in front dash and I believe one maybe in the rear or boot cargo area for sub woofer.

Firstly, I had a 2009 S-Line Audi A4 and the quality on this system seemed to be much better, so perhaps they are using cheaper speakers in this revised model?

Anyhow, the main problem I am facing is that the majority of the sound is coming from the front of the car, it seems like the speaker system is unbalanced if I am sitting in the driver seat.
All sound settings are on factory default, using the fade option I can hear the speakers working in the rear, and the only way to help the situation is to move the fade adjustment further to the rear.

Anyone else having this problem?

checkmate
31-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Hi Josh

my speakers seems to be playing all round, but ive only sat in front, wil check later on today but pretty sure its all round, will check settings and post back

joshhunte
31-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Hi Josh

my speakers seems to be playing all round, but ive only sat in front, wil check later on today but pretty sure its all round, will check settings and post back

Okay, I do have the volume quite loud but it is noticeable louder from the front.
You can "hear" the sound coming from the dashboard central speaker located behind the MMI screen.

I'll have a sit in the back and see if it is any different and try alternative media sources to USB.

Thanks

MJC_OK
01-02-2016, 12:35 PM
I had the A4 SE Technik previously, which I'm pretty sure had the A:SS and would agree that the speakers on the new model aren't as good. The sound doesn't seem to fill the car as well as it previously did, and always sounds a little bit "distant"? Can't say I've noticed the sound in the back unfortunately, as I've only had my one year old in there but he doesn't seem to mind

Bogdan M
02-10-2016, 11:07 PM
I understand what you mean, i feel the same difference but comparing to an A6 from 2006. It had better bass, and the sound was coming from everywere, with this A4 i cant get the bass sounding good eithouth my front speakers SCREAM at me! Ehen i reduce trebele it sounds even worse! the only regret buying it is I didnt have the option to get B&O sound:) but i want to find out if i can do something about it, ++speakers, or some electronical ****

El-Cap
03-10-2016, 10:22 AM
On the A7 the fader has settings for Front/Back/all. Yours might be the same and set to Front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan02
03-10-2016, 02:46 PM
You havent got the DSP set to Driver have you? This focuses sound to you, or you can nave it central, for all passengers.

pauloda4
09-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Hello, I am having issues with the Audi Sound System which is standard in the S-Line trim.
Having looked at the specifications it is 180 Watt speaker system with 10 speakers - 2 in all 4 doors, 1 central speaker in front dash and I believe one maybe in the rear or boot cargo area for sub woofer.

Firstly, I had a 2009 S-Line Audi A4 and the quality on this system seemed to be much better, so perhaps they are using cheaper speakers in this revised model?

Anyhow, the main problem I am facing is that the majority of the sound is coming from the front of the car, it seems like the speaker system is unbalanced if I am sitting in the driver seat.
All sound settings are on factory default, using the fade option I can hear the speakers working in the rear, and the only way to help the situation is to move the fade adjustment further to the rear.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yep my car is identical, seems like all sound is coming from central speaker behind the display unit, so much so that I thought the door speakers didn't work and had to stick my ear next to them to make sure they were working.
I've tried using the fade/balance controls but it doesn't make it much better.

Aside from that the car is excellent, just a shame the audio system is a bit poor.

Phydaux
20-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Yes my car is also like this, I'd like to upgrade the to the factory B&O sound system, I've found a couple on ebay (http://www.ebay.com.au/) in Europe but it looks like I'll also have to replace the trim on the A pillars. Has anyone attempted this yet? and if so was it an easy install?

muffindell
04-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Yes, I have to agree for such a premium car the sound stage for a 10 speaker set up is plainly rubbish! None of this is helped by the fact that the MMI does nothing to improve the sound stage. Lack of control is the main thing, why just treble and bass? it's hopeless, one wonders who actually signed off on the system, they must have been lacking in any knowledge of what the brief was. Now, if someone could just hack the MMI with a audio download app that gave control, that would be something to relish!

B6Andy101
07-03-2020, 11:55 AM
I've had a couple of A4's in the past, one with B&O and one without. Unfortunately i have the one with B&O first so with the second one i know what i was missing. There is a big difference in the quality of sound, noticeably the depth of base (even at low volumes) and the surround effect which is superb on the B&O.

Having been in an an A6 of the past few years and moving back to an A4 next week, i had to think long and hard about the expense of the upgrade to B&O which is now part of a Pack which includes extended interior LED's and front and rear parking cameras. Having listened to both again, i agree with your observations and comments above. I think that cost cutting has taken the edge of the standard system. I spend a lot of time in the car so decided it was worth the cost of speccing B&O.

If you are looking to buy second hand B&O should be firmly on your radar.

If you are fortunate enough to be buying new, consider the pack. If you are in to your tunes and spend time in the car i reckon it is week worth treating yourself.

Thanks to those commenting above for getting this 'out there', it is not something many would consider until it is too late and the button has been pushed.

muffindell
07-03-2020, 05:32 PM
After doing some more research the B & O system is not made by B&O, but by a Polish company who are licensed to use the brand name. Apparently, the B&O system uses the same quality speakers as the Audi system, just more of them to give a better sound stage with a higher powered amplifier. This actually could make sense, since many people who have paid for the upgraded system say it's not like systems that they have previously experienced in older Audi cars. The amplification of the Audi system has to work too hard, that's why the treble is strained and bass becomes muddy before enough volume is created to fill the space, giving a decent sound stage. The best option is to introduce a amplified DSP system into the mix, doing so would allow you to custom tune the speakers to preference. Now, all we need to know is where we can hook the DSP into the system with a pre-made harness so that it is plug and play, anyone have an idea?