PDA

View Full Version : Audi sat nav can't find my address

bobsaudiblog
29-01-2016, 02:47 PM
I have just ordered a brand new Q7 to be delivered in March 16, but when test driving before purchase, I noticed that the sat nav couldn't find my own address even though the road has been here since Victorian times. How do I tell the mapping people of the error (my postcode takes me a couple of miles off course) and would this get fixed under warranty?

Incidentally my touareg sat nav had my post code at a different road too.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

dghdgh
09-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Can you not plot it when you are outside your house, I must confess I don't know Audi/VW sat was software. However its a sad sad state of affairs when you can't find your own way home. lol. Sorry couldn't resist.

wildbeeste
10-02-2016, 08:18 AM
You should not put your own exact Postcode or address in the Sat Nav.
If the car is stolen while away from home the thieves then look at the home address on the SatNav and can deduce that you are probably not at home and unlikely to get there for some time as they have your car.
Put the address of the neighbour's with the big dog in or maybe someone you really dislike!

wildbeeste
10-02-2016, 08:23 AM
If you find out the answer to the missing address in the SatNav databaseI would like to know as I have found two post codes that are missing if entered from the car BUT are found if entered by using MyAudi through the computer.
You do need an active data simcard in the card for the MyAudi method to work (I understand)

bobsaudiblog
10-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Wildebeest, You're not the first person to tell me not to put my own address in the nav. However, there are about 10 houses in my postcode and I certainly won't be putting my house number in, but then maybe it would be best to play safe. I've just thought . . . my next door neighbour is an arm police officer - I'll put his house number in.

bobsaudiblog
10-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Are you talking about maps in Google which apparently you can use if you have a gif gaf sim card in the car? You effectively have internet inside the car. This is free for me for the first 3 months then if you want to continue you pay about £20pm for it. Then you can access the internet from inside the car. Shame they can't get the maps correct on the sat nav though. I have been given the name of the map maker for my audi Q7 and it is Navteq Here. I believe you can make corrections to the maps online, but these may take some time to filter through. I have been told I can have 5 free sat nav updates during the ownership of the car.

bobsaudiblog
10-02-2016, 11:40 AM
I'll have a good play around with it on my drive and post back if I find any other missing or incorrect address. The map makers are Navteq Here and you can make corrections on the website apparently.

Meanwhile my car has been built and is undergoing quality control at the moment. Lets hope they check the sat nav!!

dghdgh
10-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Just looked at the nantec website and they don't list Audi in the main page, but a link at the bottom which takes you to a page that it says is not available , the vw link is showing what look like quite old systems. I think Audi need to get their act together on this.

Phutters
10-02-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm in danger of poking my nose into something that's no concern of mine, and if I am I apologise in advance, but I can't not ask this question:

Is this a matter of principle? In other words, do you feel (with some justification, I reckon) that the car's satnav should be able to find your home address in the same way you would expect it to find any other address?

If it isn't that, I can't resist asking why on earth you would want your car to find its own way to your gaff. Can't you do it by yourself? What did you do in the eighties before the advent of mobile satellite navigation? I can't believe you spent endless hours driving round Warlingham not having the faintest idea where you were, quite possibly even going right past the house on several occasions.

Perhaps you should have stopped and asked somebody if they knew where you lived, because Warlingham isn't very big.

;)

bobsaudiblog
10-02-2016, 05:31 PM
You're right, its a matter of principle. If it can't find the first address I put in, how many more will it not find? As far as putting my home address in the sat nav - I've been in various situations where I have got a long journey home and I would normally just put my home destination in the nav to get me started on the right road or in the right direction. Surely that's what the 'HOME' destination is for.

chrisjerman
11-02-2016, 10:44 PM
If you've still got the three month trial of audi connect just bring up the google earth image , if you click on the touch pad an x appears which you can move to anywhere in the world , so just find your house and then click on it and store it as home , it should then still remember it once the audi connect runs out . Sorry if you already know this , I find it very useful for find places which could be miles from the postcode in rural areas like our place . It's a revelation compared to our old q7 that couldn't take a full postcode and in rural areas it could only get you to within 5 miles of somewhere !

bobsaudiblog
12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I didn't know this and sounds like good advice. I'll give it a try when the car arrives, but I think for £200 a year, I may just keep the gif gaf sim and have my own travelling wifi hotspot . . . if it works!! Thanks

chrisjerman
12-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Is Audi connect £200 per year ? I thought in the brochure it said £350 for 3 years . My car was a pre reg one and so there was only about one month left on the 3 month trial when I bought it even though it had only 5 miles ! The licence in the mmi said it expired at the end of December 2015 , I spoke with Audi about cost to renew licence but they never got back to me how ever it on the 1st of Jan the licence just extended to dec 2016 all by itself ! Maybe because it was a pre reg with loads of options already on it 3 years of connect was included and the licence just rolls over at the end of each year which just happened to be a fluke coinciding with 3 months since registration or maybe they all do this in which case you may get lucky and after your 3 months is up it will just auto renew .
You don't have to put a sim in the car , I did in the beginning as we were going on holiday and so needed lots of data to keep kids happy but now I just let it remote access the sim on my phone which saves on having a second sim with the only draw back that the kids lose wifi if I have a phone call . Bit of a modern world problem !!

Skippy73
13-02-2016, 06:13 AM
If you have the technology pack you get subscription to Audi connect for a full 3 Years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk