PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Siri & text to speech (read-out messages etc)

davidb67
19-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Hi, just finalising my plans on ordering B8 Passat GT as my next company car. Like most, there's a [rather restrictive] limit on the options I can choose.
Really keen to have the ability to use Siri hands-free - do I need to spec "Voice control" to enable this through the steering-wheel button or is it activated by an icon on the media display?
I'm not fussed about having CarPlay & "apps" on my car media system, but would spec it if necessary to get Siri and the text-to-speech in order to read-out messages etc.
I've read the descriptions on VW configurator for both Voice Control and CarNet, and to be honest I'm not exactly clear so looking for some help! Don't want to spec something that's not needed to achieve this, since I'd rather spend this similar money on heated screen etc.

thanks in advance.
David

technik
20-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Hi, just finalising my plans on ordering B8 Passat GT as my next company car. Like most, there's a [rather restrictive] limit on the options I can choose.
Really keen to have the ability to use Siri hands-free - do I need to spec "Voice control" to enable this through the steering-wheel button or is it activated by an icon on the media display?
I'm not fussed about having CarPlay & "apps" on my car media system, but would spec it if necessary to get Siri and the text-to-speech in order to read-out messages etc.
I've read the descriptions on VW configurator for both Voice Control and CarNet, and to be honest I'm not exactly clear so looking for some help! Don't want to spec something that's not needed to achieve this, since I'd rather spend this similar money on heated screen etc.

thanks in advance.
David

I've not got the Voice Option on my B8. I use a Windows Phone and the Infotainment system can still read the text messages if requested.
CarNet is free if you register within 3 months - it's the app connect you have to pay for. The only function (I've been told) that the Voice serves is to dial/search numbers etc.
Not sure if it can be enabled with VCDS??