PDA

View Full Version : Golf 150 diesel camshaft

pearsyla
10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
My 150 diesel has an extremely worn camshaft. I know this because it cost me £75 for a mechanic to open it up and tell me! I have been on to vw who have told me to go whistle as my car is 5 years and 1 month old!! but with only 74500 on the clock. This should not be worn out yet but I really don't know what else I can do to make them contribute towards the repair. I have seen other people with this problem with more miles on the clock and surely mileage is the big issue here because my camshaft is hardly going to wear out if the car is not even being driven!?!?:1zhelp:

mobitune
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I think this can be a sign of non PD spec oil used in a PD engine.

Pete

pearsyla
11-10-2007, 08:10 AM
It has never had non pd oil in it. It has always been serviced by vw or a vw mechanic that I know. I have even been shown the wear by the mechanic that opened up my engine and the wear is only on the fourth lobe and not the other three which is a little strange as surely they should all wear out!! I have got friends at vw that don't want to speak out of turn but have told me that there is a problem on some 150 camshafts, but vw don't seem to want to help me as my car is 5 years and 1 month old.

devonutopia
11-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I have a very good condition camshaft spare if you need one. Saves paying prices of a new one. Drop me a PM if you find you need it. It was removed from a hydrolocked engine, but is in perfect nick - currently stored indoors and wrapped in newspaper. :)

Forgot to say, mine is from a pd130, but the parts are the same as the 150. :)

pearsyla
11-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I really appreciate the offer but if I have to pay for the repair without vw's help then the garage I take it to may not be too happy if I then tell them I have a camshaft to put in. Thanks anyway tho. :beerchug:

FastMan
11-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Every good garage that I have used have not objected to me supplying any parts myself. Why should there be a problem?

devonutopia
11-10-2007, 01:11 PM
It would save the garage having to order new which might delay things a bit. If they refused to fit a part that I supplied I would take my business elsewhere. If the part is for the car, then they've no real right to moan - (and I only believe they make unfair markups on already expensive new part prices....) - This is why I'm so pessimistic with garages, and only my mate touches my car, and I supply 99% of the parts myself.

mobitune
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Certainly a problem if only one lobe got worn. I am a mechanic by trade, and have saw this before... not on VWs though.

Sometimes caused by low quality materials, on a few occasions I have saw the lobe worn completely round!

Pete

pearsyla
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
devonutopia. thank you for your input. I have spoken to them this morning and they said they would do it but obviously I would not have any guarantee if there was a problem not only with the camshaft but any other new parts they fit with it, ie the followers etc.
Mobitune. thanks for your comment and my fourth lobe is almostly completely round now as well!!!