PDA

View Full Version : Front brake disks/pads need replacing.

bob-lad
10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the front disks and pads on my 2002 S8 as mine have been lovingly worn out. Just whipped the wheel off and it's got the 13.5" disks with 2 pads per caliper.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions as to the best place to source disks. Most sites seem to be US based and I don't fancy the shipping bills.

All hints welcome.

bob-lad

SneakyMcC
13-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Not sure about the fitment. I have a an old 8 that has the 4 pad setup. I swapped to www.blackdiamondperformance.com (http://www.blackdiamondperformance.com) setup. Much, much better the the early OE setup. A lot of guys on another site have gone for the EBC RedStuff.

The SP is if going for a "drilled disc", the holes should be cast and not drilled. I have done about 10k on my BD setup. I'm very pleased with them, but I have not tried the EBC....

bob-lad
13-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Oooh. nice. I didn't see front disks the right size listed for the S8, although they appear to be what's now fitted to the new S4.
I've gone with the EBC Red Stuff actually, should be here early next week.

I'll let you all know how they go, provided I can fit them :)

Cheers.

SneakyMcC
13-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Cool, the fronts go straight in, the rears want a "winder" really, but it can be done without! www.audipages.com (http://www.audipages.com) has a "how to". AP is the 8 owners Bible!:beerchug:

Edit:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/frontbrakestwin.html

Militar
31-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Hiya Bob-lad,

probably to late to offer the following info reference replacing your front discs and pads. :( Been out of the country for a few weeks.

Replaced all discs and pads on my S8. I assume you have Brembo 4 piston calipers.

Got mine from Brake parts direct and are genuine Brembo parts

Front Disc Pt No BDS6111 @ £36.10 + VAT
Front pads BPS2817 @ £35.17 +VAT

Atleast you took your wheels off and measured them. As for me I jumped the gun and ended up with the wrong size. Cost a bundle to send them back :Blush2:

bob-lad
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Militar,

No not too late at all as it happens. The muppets I originally ordered from sent discs for a V6 TDI that were far too small, so they have gone back.
Your suggested source had an even better price, so we'll see how I get on with those when they arrive.

Thanks

bob-lad

bob-lad
19-11-2007, 10:11 PM
That was astonishingly easy.
5 bolts for the wheel, 2 for the caliper, push the pistons back in a bit, new discs and pads in, fasten 7 bolts (after polishing the caliper, of course :approve: ).

Admittedly the second disc was changed in significantly less time than the first one.

bob-lad

SneakyMcC
20-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Tis that easy!;) The rears are just as easy, but get a piston winder first....:D

nulif7
15-02-2010, 02:46 PM
That was astonishingly easy.
fasten 7 bolts (after polishing the caliper, of course :approve: ).

bob-lad

"after polishing the caliper" so wat does that mean exactli ?
how does one polish the caliper or does that mean simpli
spraying the caliper with brake cleaner ?

dell
dallas, texas