PDA

View Full Version : A3 Sportback windscreen problem

graysondeb
13-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Hi All,

We have a new A3 we collected before Christmas and the windscreen is awful..
You can see two to three sets of head lights for cars at night and lampposts and motorway barriers bend as you drive past.
It is that bad that my husband and I end up feeling sick with a headache after driving at night for as little as 20 minutes.
The wipers miss part of the screen as the screen curves away.
The auto wipers are also making a noise as if they want to work but then don't when start stop is activated.
Has anyone else got similar problems as we are thinking of rejecting the car as it is not yet 30 days.

many thanks

Debbie:1zhelp:

micheal balbrig
13-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Have you been back to the supplier with it, seems like it would be unsafe to drive,and maybe hard on eyesight.

Sam
13-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Welcome to VWAF :)

A windscreen is replaceable, the fact that the wipers appear not to wipe correctly suggests there's something inherently wrong with the 'screen itself.

You don't say whether you've taken the car back, or even mentioned this, to the dealership who supplied the car.

That would be my first move. You cannot reject a car without first giving them the chance to rectify whatever is wrong.

Hex69
13-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Welcome to VWAF :)

A windscreen is replaceable, the fact that the wipers appear not to wipe correctly suggests there's something inherently wrong with the 'screen itself.

You don't say whether you've taken the car back, or even mentioned this, to the dealership who supplied the car.

That would be my first move. You cannot reject a car without first giving them the chance to rectify whatever is wrong.

Actually Sam, if it's within the 30 days since purchase you can reject a car (or anything else) and demand a full refund, if there's an issue.

This is the new Consumer Rights Act 2015 - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/consumer-rights-act-2015/consumer-rights-act-2015)

Eshrules
13-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Actually Sam, if it's within the 30 days since purchase you can reject a car (or anything else) and demand a full refund, if there's an issue.

This is the new Consumer Rights Act 2015 - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/consumer-rights-act-2015/consumer-rights-act-2015)

Actually Hex, it isn't quite that simple <grin>.

Motor Trade Warranty Advice and Recommendations-Used Car Warranties, Dealer Guarantees and Service Contracts (http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/legal-article-warranty/motor-trade-warranty-guarantee-service-contract/what-are-the-customers-legal-rights-when-buying-a-used-car)

The second-hand car I bought has a problem, what are my rights? - Which? (http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/the-second-hand--car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights)

Second-hand car from a dealer

When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer, you have the right, under both the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 01 October 2015), to expect the car to:

be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it ( whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)

be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)
If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.

If something you buy is not 'as described', or if the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:
give the second-hand car back and get your money back
if you want to keep the car, ask for compensation (usually the cost of any repairs it needs)

But if you buy a second-hand car that was not described as being in excellent condition or good working order and it breaks soon after you buy it, you don't have any right to reject it or to claim compensation.

The issue we've got is that I would imagine the issues highlighted to have been present during the test drive and if they were, they ought to have been mentioned to the dealer as a point of rectification prior to completion of the sale. It gets tricky to argue with a dealer in regards to a fault that was clearly present during the pre-sale period - I'm sure I read a piece about acceptance of faults in relation to this but I can't find it.

I can't tell if the stopping of wipers with the stop/start is a feature of the stop/start or not - that needs clarification from someone who's got the same vehicle with that option fitted.

But in regards to the poor wipers, I suspect it'll just need new (good quality) wipers.

My recommended course of action would be to go to the dealer, talk to them about the issue and see what they suggest.

If one goes to a dealer all guns blazing demanding a full refund I find it doesn't get you anywhere.

Sam
13-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Hex is right, it's a new car as indicated in the first post - my mistake. Every day is a school day.

I'd still ask the supplying dealership to change the windscreen though, it seems a little extreme to reject the entire car over one small issue.

I can't tell if the stopping of wipers with the stop/start is a feature of the stop/start or not - that needs clarification from someone who's got the same vehicle with that option fitted.

I know that with the poor man's version of the A3, the wipers continue to work when start/stop is activated.

Eshrules
13-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Ah, I read it as new to them as opposed to brand new.

my bad.

my recommended course of action remains the same though.

Hex69
13-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Ah, I read it as new to them as opposed to brand new.

my bad.

my recommended course of action remains the same though.

Agreed that you'd not go in demanding the moon on a stick....

I can see the OP's point on the windscreen and its reflections, if the test drive was only in daylight or was in a demonstrator the fault wouldn't have been apparent until after delivery.

Eshrules
20-01-2016, 08:31 AM
any update from the OP on this? You've got my curiosity tingling.