PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading BMW F30 320d Sports to A4 30 TDI Quattro 272 BHP Sports.

Jeci
11-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Its been a while since participating in a forum.

I run a on lease a BMW F30 320d 184 bhp and am considering getting more power to the A4 as above.

Also offered at the same price the new A6 with same engines.

I like the A6 exterior more then the A4 I love its interior. Plus the A4 is on the new platform etc whilst the A6 is sue to change in two years.

Now I am all mixed up. A4 or A6

Any input please?

AGW82
11-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Its been a while since participating in a forum.

I run a on lease a BMW F30 320d 184 bhp and am considering getting more power to the A4 as above.

Also offered at the same price the new A6 with same engines.

I like the A6 exterior more then the A4 I love its interior. Plus the A4 is on the new platform etc whilst the A6 is sue to change in two years.

Now I am all mixed up. A4 or A6

Any input please?

Hi Jeci, Welcome to the forum..

I think we probably need some more info on your requirements of a car before we can provide any constructive info and opinion?

For what it's worth I have owned a C7 A6 and currently drive a B8 A4, with a B9 A4 on order. I always found the A6 too big for my liking, it was a fantastic car and very comfortable, but did feel a bit like a barge, even in S-Line trim.. Going back to a B8 A4 from the C7 A6 was a step back in terms of quality and refinement, but IMHO the car felt better to drive and I was more at home. I think the new A4 is on par with the current A6 in terms of quality and refinement, so I'm hoping I will have the best of both worlds when the new car arrives. I guess once the C8 A6 arrives the bar will be raised once again, but that's just how it goes.. I'm more than happy with A4's and don't feel a need to go back to an A6...

You have asked in the A4 section as well so you might get a slightly bias answer.. ;)

eoin27
12-01-2016, 01:27 AM
I believe the A6 has more 'presence' on the road. Although its an older design than the A4, it is still quite fresh, especially with the recent facelift. If you want two years of ownership before upgrading to something else, then it would be a good choice. I think we can all agree already that the C8 is going to look far more advanced than the B9 and the C7 so it much of a muchness when it comes to exterior design 'freshness' between the A6 and the new A4.

Having driven the two, I can say that the A6 is indeed quite a barge and a few options such as Nav Plus and Sport Seats are a must at that level of car. The new A4 has a much fresher interior but I would hardly call the A6 dated.

I dont think you could make a wrong choice here. Perhaps test drive both and see what deals you can get.

Jeci
12-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Thanks Guys, I must say I am quite confused.

Which one you reckon would be more fun?

I tested both guises but in 20tdi version.

eoin27
12-01-2016, 03:35 AM
Both are excellent drives but the A4 would have the edge in dynamics due to the smaller size. Having said that, the A6 is a very rewarding drive in manual FWD 2.0TDI

AGW82
12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks Guys, I must say I am quite confused.

Which one you reckon would be more fun?

I tested both guises but in 20tdi version.
In terms of fun and dynamics for my money the A4 wins hands down.. It's a shame they don't currently offer the sports diff on the 3.0TDI in the new A4, but I've heard rumours it will become available at some point this year..

The adaptive sports suspension does make a big difference in the A4 as well, in terms of poise and handling..

If you take a look at the engine stats between the 3.0TDI in the A6 and A4, although the power output is the same, the A4 has slightly more torque, and also delivers it's peak power slightly earlier in the rev range.. This isn't going to make a massive difference, but in a smaller lighter car, it will all add to the dynamics..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

eoin27
12-01-2016, 09:16 AM
In terms of fun and dynamics for my money the A4 wins hands down.. It's a shame they don't currently offer the sports diff on the 3.0TDI in the new A4, but I've heard rumours it will become available at some point this year..

The adaptive sports suspension does make a big difference in the A4 as well, in terms of poise and handling..

If you take a look at the engine stats between the 3.0TDI in the A6 and A4, although the power output is the same, the A4 has slightly more torque, and also delivers it's peak power slightly earlier in the rev range.. This isn't going to make a massive difference, but in a smaller lighter car, it will all add to the dynamics..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Couldn't have put it better myself

Cobstar
17-01-2016, 03:36 PM
I've only kept recent cars for a couple of years before changing. Next time I want a keeper and the B9 A4 Allroad launched at Detroit looks a strong contender. I like petrol engines but the SO hates DSG so the 3 litre diesel with tiptronic looks likely :-)

I shall look forward to reading updates about your cars.