PDA

View Full Version : Constant Pitch Droning Noise 143 TDI

Gorepe15
10-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Hi Recently collected my first Q5 (2010 143 Diesel SLine) which is fine except for a quite intrusive drone which is present whenever the engine is running. It is not affected by road or engine speed and my local mechanic has disconnected the auxiliary belt to no effect (i.e. it is not alternator etc) and is baffled as to what it is!!

It sounds similar to the cooling fan running (but it isn't) and I have switched off A/C etc...

It's driving me mad!!:mad:

grant19841
11-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Droning noise sound could be a worn bearing, perhaps the alternator shaft or ac compressor shaft bearing?

You say it does the noise stationary?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Gorepe15
11-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Droning noise sound could be a worn bearing, perhaps the alternator shaft or ac compressor shaft bearing?

You say it does the noise stationary?

Hi Thanks for replying.

My local garage disconnected all the auxiliary stuff (took the belt off) but the noise is still there so it seems to be a more fundamental part of the engine system.. and yes it is just the same when stationary, especially e.g. after driving for a while and then stopping at traffic lights etc

grant19841
11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Hmm if it was me I would surgest the water pump or pulleys etc, bearing could be dry..

When was t/belt, pulleys, w/pump etc replaced?

Are you able to post a video describing the noise clearly?

May help to narrow it down on here kinda hard at times to diagnose on the Internet otherwise...